Author Topic: C.G. and Speration point  (Read 1101 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
C.G. and Speration point
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »
 :airplane: Here is a question which applies to these aircraft in the game: As you burn fuel, your C.G. does what and how does that effect the separation point on the wings?
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
Re: C.G. and Speration point
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
That would vary by aircraft and the tank from which you're burning your fuel.

As for the separation point, I assume you're talking about the max alpha, which inheres to the section. While cg may tend to affect alpha, it doesn't affect the section properties, afaik.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 03:49:48 PM »
That would vary by aircraft and the tank from which you're burning your fuel.

As for the separation point, I assume you're talking about the max alpha, which inheres to the section. While cg may tend to affect alpha, it doesn't affect the section properties, afaik.
:airplane: Generally speaking about WW2 era aircraft, as you burn fuel, your CG moves towards the rear and the separation point of lift and drag on the wing to the rear because of the slight change in AOA. The only exception to this is the "ponie", which, when you burn fuselage tank first, as you should, it will move forward,(the CG) and then as you burn wing tanks, it will move rearward again. At least that is what my engineering buddies toward me, back when "dirt" was invented! LOL

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »
:airplane: Generally speaking about WW2 era aircraft, as you burn fuel, your CG moves towards the rear and the separation point of lift and drag on the wing to the rear because of the slight change in AOA. The only exception to this is the "ponie", which, when you burn fuselage tank first, as you should, it will move forward,(the CG) and then as you burn wing tanks, it will move rearward again. At least that is what my engineering buddies toward me, back when "dirt" was invented! LOL

I was wondering if you were talking about the max alpha or the chordwise location of the separation point. Sounds like you meant the latter. If so, then no, my recollection is, as the AoA increases, the separation point will actually move forward. This will continue until you reach a critical angle, after which, the flow will become almost completely separated and lift will decrease dramatically.

As for the fuel distribution, I'm used to flying 109s. The tank is behind and the cg moves forward, IIRC. The Pony, also IIRC, is as you state - marginally stable at full fuel, more stable as you burn off the tank.

Mind, I'm going back some years as well. aero engin school for me was back in the 80's.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:28:39 PM »
 :rolleyes:
Top Gun

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
just curios does unleaded fuel weight less than leaded?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 02:39:19 PM »

semp
:airplane: No! That has no bearing on computing weight and balance for flight!

Offline Ramon

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »
Ze Zeparation point iz always near ze bullet holes.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 01:43:41 AM »
Ze Zeparation point iz always near ze bullet holes.
I agree with that :salute  That's my usual experience anyway! :headscratch: Its the last thing I see actually! :angel:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 02:15:55 AM »
PJ is correct. The center of pressure moves forward on the wing when you increase AOA within normal flight conditions.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »
Thank you, FLS, not for confirming this relatively basic point, but for not ridiculing the whole dialog.

Man, I was feeling kind of embarassed there for a while. I mean, fun's fun and all but the OP was genuinely curious and we are trying to bring others into the game.

Those young hooligans <shaking bony gnarled old fist in the air>... Alles gut, I guess.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »
I believe Earl was teaching via Socratic method. He's shared with us that he flew B-29s and has flown P-51s. He has extensive practical knowledge.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 01:59:08 PM »
Aka, the method of elenchus... That said, I just learned something, so I guess it's working.

So, where are you going with this, Earl?

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 05:10:09 PM »
 Earl...and Puma44...were there when some smarty mixed dirt w/water..and made mud....
                                   JGroth
                                         PS..I wasn't there till week or two after..when some smarty found hitting two rocks together made sparks..no, wasn't me, but I still have scars.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »

semp

Depends on the temperature.  

JG, I've see the mud on the back of your neck.  :D

All gave some, Some gave all