Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
It does not matter how a part was damaged.  It can be gone, graphically, but still be there (virtually) and operating at some percentage level.

Hits on, what appears, invisible still register if that part is still operating at some level.

Hmp!  Never noticed that.  Appreciate the info, Skuzzy.  That might explain some of the one winged flying plane comments I hear every once in a while in the arena.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 12:41:32 PM »
A note about people fiddling around to try to finesse a collision.  It is much easier to just shoot the enemy, and you have a lower chance of finding yourself in front of his guns.

I am 100% for enemy players trying to save ammo by causing a collision on my end.  It will make them easy kills.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »
There r different types of collisions.

If a guy is stupid enough to move too close his propeller from an enemy's tail, then i dont see why the collided guy should be punished by insta-death instead of losing a part of his tail when the noob behind him loses his propeller.

That's not even remotely what he said.

I TOTALLY AGREE that if there is a COLLISION, despite of aircraft types, weights, speeds, or any other excuse that if two aircraft collide then those aircraft BOTH go down, dead, with NO KILL awarded...regardless of computer speed or internet connection.  You collide?  YOU LOSE.

Anything less rewards dweebery.  Dweebery is what is rewarded as the current "coading".

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 01:41:55 PM »
Why has no one brought up that all of these problems are due to the way the game is designed/coded (read that as: it could be fixed, if the time was invested)? I hear apologists defending the game and complainers complaining about internet connection, the damage assigned, and who goes down, but why is no one addressing the actual core problem? The model itself.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »
Why has no one brought up that all of these problems are due to the way the game is designed/coded (read that as: it could be fixed, if the time was invested)? I hear apologists defending the game and complainers complaining about internet connection, the damage assigned, and who goes down, but why is no one addressing the actual core problem? The model itself.

The only problem with the collision model is the lack of understanding of how it works by some.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »

It boils down to the decisions that were made.  It's between the collision model being as-is and having instant input to your plane, or everything being server-side, and having to deal with input lag.  They made their choices and it is how it is.  I personally prefer having things as responsive as they are and what I see on my end is what I get.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
You been practising? :bolt:

No but I'm old and got slow reflexes and fly planes that require me to get in real close so I collide a ton!!! :lol

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2014, 01:58:54 PM »
I get it.  If my plane and another plane make contact on my screen, I get a "You have collided" and take damage.  The other player gets a "AMAX has collided with you".  If we made contact on his screen as well, he also gets a "You have collided" and takes damage and I get a "Skyrr has collided with you".  If we didn't hit on his screen, he takes no damage and doesn't get a "You have collided", because his reality is that we never made contact.

Either way, he gets the kill message because he pulled the trigger on the merge  :D

So, the issue is with the lag.  My understanding is that lag is what it is and fixing it isn't a solution.  Is there a solution where a different server/client responsibility keeps better track of where both players are and what they see?

AMAX  in game

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 02:00:36 PM »
There r different types of collisions.

If a guy is stupid enough to move too close his propeller from an enemy's tail, then i dont see why the collided guy should be punished by insta-death instead of losing a part of his tail when the noob behind him loses his propeller.

If something like that ever happens you should post the film in the bug forum.

The model isn't the problem. The model is the solution to travel time. You don't have a better fix.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:05:20 PM by FLS »

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2014, 02:15:45 PM »

So, the issue is with the lag.  My understanding is that lag is what it is and fixing it isn't a solution.  Is there a solution where a different server/client responsibility keeps better track of where both players are and what they see?

I understand your frustration.  If we could only get rid of that pesky "speed of light" constant.

Actually I think most of the "Laws Of The Universe" are overmodeled.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »

There is no perfect solution to the problem.  Every solution has its pros and cons.  We think this one is the best solution.  It allows YOU to control your fate.  It would be awesome if we could just get passed the speed of light and lower the hardware latencies to zero, but I do not see that happening.

No one is apologizing and we are very open about how and why it works the way it does.

If you think you have solved the time displacement issue, we would be happy to hear about it.  I really mean that.

I get it.  If my plane and another plane make contact on my screen, I get a "You have collided" and take damage.  The other player gets a "AMAX has collided with you".  If we made contact on his screen as well, he also gets a "You have collided" and takes damage and I get a "Skyrr has collided with you".  If we didn't hit on his screen, he takes no damage and doesn't get a "You have collided", because his reality is that we never made contact.

Either way, he gets the kill message because he pulled the trigger on the merge  :D

I want to clear up a few things.  

It is not about the "screen".  It is about the game detecting some type of intersection with your plane.  Using the term "screen" implies you actually see it.  You may not see it.

The term "lag" is not correct, in this context.  The correct term is "time displacement".  The difference in the physical locations on each computer is strictly due to the difference in the aggregate time from one computer to the server to the other computer.

The solution is for every computer to be next to each other using as short a cable as possible, directly to the servers.  Then it becomes easy.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:20:28 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »
  Skuzzy, thank you very much for taking the time to chime in and clear some of this up.

It is not about the "screen".  It is about the game detecting some type of intersection with your plane.  Using the term "screen" implies you actually see it.  You may not see it.

Ok, quick question about this.  Even though I may not see it when in game, I should be able to see it in the recording, correct?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:14:49 AM by Mongoose »
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 01:08:30 PM »
Ok, quick question about this.  Even though I may not see it when in game, I should be able to see it in the recording, correct?
It will be in the recording, though it might look like it barely misses in the recording as the recording is not exactly like the flight paths in the actual event as I recall.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2014, 01:47:23 PM »
The same basic time problem is what makes stick stirring look worse than it really is in that the time delay in updating the planes position can't keep up the movement making the plane look like it is doing things the flight model should prevent. 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2014, 01:56:05 PM »
The same basic time problem is what makes stick stirring look worse than it really is in that the time delay in updating the planes position can't keep up the movement making the plane look like it is doing things the flight model should prevent. 

That seems unlikely given that the data stream is generally consistent and the game is coded to avoid warping from controller input.