Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 06:01:33 AM »
That is not correct. Your connection is not a factor. You either collide with the other guy on your PC or you don't. The other guy either collides with you on his PC or he doesn't. It doesn't matter who hit who, it only matters if the collision was on your PC, the other PC, or both.

Your connection and computer speed does have an affect on what you SEE on your screen.  The faster the two planes are closing the worse it gets.  

This is why some folks have a hard time understanding collisions. It just doesn't look right.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:05:11 AM by Randy1 »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 06:20:31 AM »
 :O Another collision thread.

Does sir OP understand the collision model?

Where is Snailman with the .gif?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 06:28:30 AM »
Gotta beat him to it.

I have my opinions on the collision model, but while there are 12 knives to the throat of my BBS account I think I'll pass.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 07:03:47 AM »
Allow me to rephrase (LOTS of this going around).

If there is a collision between two players BOTH players should go down.  No if's, no and's, no buts.  Collide should = DIE.  NO KILL AWARDED.

The current modeling rewards rammers who get a kill for ramming and fly away, or at least get  kill credit before they, themselves crash.

In a collision situation....NO KILL should be awarded.

Right now, if both players collide, they both take damage. "No if's, no and's, no buts."

The current model does not reward anyone.  If you avoid the collision, you fly away.  If you do not avoid the collision, you take damage.  It really is that simple.  No one collides and does not take damage.

Regardless of the manner of death, a kill will be awarded.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 07:19:58 AM »
If there is a collision between two players BOTH players should go down.  No if's, no and's, no buts.  Collide should = DIE.  NO KILL AWARDED.

An actual collision situation, captured at the exact moment of impact, from the P-47 pilot's point of view:

See the system message "Lusche (P-51) has collided with you".

The P-47 should go down without any IF, NO. or BUT?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 07:20:32 AM »
It DOES happen although not often. Recently I saw one of my squaddies pull up into an attack. He was going almost verticle upwards, the attacker the same downwards. They met nose on. From my vantage point I saw a poof up and a poof down from the point of "impact". Both collided. Both died as a result.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline VuduVee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 08:55:55 AM »
several times ive been collided with, or collided and not hear or see it, but still took damage. its a mystery to me on who goes down as a result and what the parameters are. as far as ive seen, the rammers who have it down to a science can collide into you with the belly of their plane into your canopy or abouts and you take the damage and they fly off. there are a lot of dirty players in AH and the collide model is one tool they use.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »
several times ive been collided with, or collided and not hear or see it, but still took damage. its a mystery to me on who goes down as a result and what the parameters are. as far as ive seen, the rammers who have it down to a science can collide into you with the belly of their plane into your canopy or abouts and you take the damage and they fly off. there are a lot of dirty players in AH and the collide model is one tool they use.

nonsense

there is no way for such a "rammer" to know where his aircraft appears on the other guy's end.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:07:31 AM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 09:39:34 AM »
nonsense

there is no way for such a "rammer" to know where his aircraft appears on the other guy's end.

One can make a somewhat close guess.  I've seen other guys maneuvering, usually at the top of a vertical move, where I've been fairly sure he's about to collide with me as he passes by.

My one quibble with the collision model is sometimes the damage seems odd.  Often enough to notice it, I have collided with another aircraft and just lost an aileron.  While it might be possible to have that be the only part of the plane that touched him, I have my doubts that was what happened.  If Geezer is saying that if you hit the other guy at all it should be catastrophic damage and the plane shouldn't be flyable, I am not entirely opposed to that idea.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »

YOUR computer is the one who controls collision detection for YOUR plane.  If YOUR computer detects YOUR plane has intersected with another object, then YOUR computer assigns the damage to YOUR plane.

Like someone else has said, it is impossible for anyone to know the exact amount of separation between two planes, in real time.

The amount of damage assigned is based on a lot of variables.  Graphically, it is grossly represented, at this time.  In other words, you might only have a percentage of damage done to a part, but the part is graphically shown as being completely gone.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »
To those who think that some have collisions down to a science I suggest that you go try to intentionally collide causing damage to the other guy and none to yourself and see how that works out for you, do it five times and look at the numbers.

shamus 
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 11:32:52 AM »
You been practising? :bolt:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »
YOUR computer is the one who controls collision detection for YOUR plane.  If YOUR computer detects YOUR plane has intersected with another object, then YOUR computer assigns the damage to YOUR plane.

Like someone else has said, it is impossible for anyone to know the exact amount of separation between two planes, in real time.

The amount of damage assigned is based on a lot of variables.  Graphically, it is grossly represented, at this time.  In other words, you might only have a percentage of damage done to a part, but the part is graphically shown as being completely gone.

Just wondering a bit on this.  Are you saying the part may take partial damage, but appear gone graphically and still be there and affecting flight?  Or are you saying the part may only take partial damage in the collision, but appear gone graphically and will not be there and affecting flight?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 12:00:49 PM »
It does not matter how a part was damaged.  It can be gone, graphically, but still be there (virtually) and operating at some percentage level.

Hits on, what appears, invisible still register if that part is still operating at some level.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:02:23 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese