Author Topic: Gunnery Course - Wednesday, May 28th - RSVP Required  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Gunnery Course - Wednesday, May 28th - RSVP Required
« on: May 21, 2014, 12:43:46 AM »
Hello all,

I've run what I think was a successful gunnery training course for VF-17 and am going to be doing so again.  This time I will open up a few slots to the general public.  I generally like to have no more than 6-8 people at once, so space may be limited.   PM me if you are interested in attending, and I will let you know if there are slots open.  I'll likely run another one of these and a continuation of the course, depending on interest, again in June or July.

The first night will be Wednesday, May 28th starting in the TA at 7:30 Central time and wrapping up around 9:30 Central time (in the DA.)  It will be in two parts, roughly 1 hour each (roughly a 2 hour session total), with a short break in the middle to refill your beverage of choice.  Again, a PM to me is required to participate, as I cap the number participants to allow for individual questions/issues.

This session will focus mostly on characteristics of the 6-gun 50-cal package, using the F4U-1A as the training aircraft for this session.  I feel the F4U has some unique quirks that make it interesting, and getting kills with 50-cals has it's own nuances, so we'll use that aircraft specifically and discuss those things in this session.  That said, many of the concepts discussed and practice methods demonstrated will apply to any/all aircraft and gun packages.

The specific layout and topics of the course are as follows:

Part 1a - Basics (Ground School, TA)
Convergence and Sights
Using the .target Command
Understanding and Visualizing the Bullet Stream
Effects of Range, Dispersion
How to Kill vs. How to Hit

Part 1b - Initial Practice (In Flight Training, TA)
Getting Concentrated Hits
Maneuvering and Unloaded Firing
Minimizing "Nose Bounce" (as needed)
"Shoot Around the Clock" Practice Method/Test I
"Shoot Around the Clock" Practice Method II

Break

Part 2a - The "Sight Picture" (In Flight Training, TA)
Inside Convergence Shooting Nuances
"One Wing" Shooting
Aiming vs. Leading
"Aim Small, Miss Small"

Part 2b - "Live Fire" Partner Practice in the DA
"Remove the Mossie's Gear I" Exercise - Level flight, Dead Six
"Remove the Mossie's Gear II" Exercise - 30% bank, Lead required
If time permits, I will discuss how some of the things learned in this session apply to different types of shots (Snap Shots, Tracking Shots, Dead Six Shots, etc.).  Those topics will be covered in more detail in a follow-on Part 3: Deflection Shooting  to be run later, which will be open to those who complete this first course (Part 1 and 2).

Feedback/suggestions for other gunnery related topics are welcome.

Again, please PM me if you are interested and I will let you know if there are slots open.

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:55:57 AM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline WW1965

• Zinc Member
Re: Gunnery Course - Wednesday, May 28th - RSVP Required
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 02:29:42 AM »
I'm working then Kingpin..  :mad:

but If you could record said class & upload it... I'd really be thankful & would name my next puppy after you..

thx
Wrngway

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:39:52 AM »
I'm working then Kingpin..  :mad:

but If you could record said class & upload it... I'd really be thankful & would name my next puppy after you..

thx
Wrngway

Much of the first section of the class utilizes the .target command, which does NOT show up in AH recordings sadly (something I suggested as a Wishlist item a while back along with allowing someone who is attached to see your target as well). Unfortunately that means a recording will not do you much good, as you will not be able to see a good deal of what we are doing and what the participants can see live. 

That said, I'll be scheduling another one of these sessions in the future and will make sure you are invited WW.  If I do the future one on another night of the week, like a Monday, would that work any better for you?

<S>
Ryno

For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 04:27:28 AM »
Nice!  :aok

Maybe record the session and post the films here afterwards for those who can't make it?  :salute :cheers:

Offline WW1965

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:19:05 AM »

Much of the first section of the class utilizes the .target command, which does NOT show up in AH recordings sadly (something I suggested as a Wishlist item a while back along with allowing someone who is attached to see your target as well). Unfortunately that means a recording will not do you much good, as you will not be able to see a good deal of what we are doing and what the participants can see live. 

That said, I'll be scheduling another one of these sessions in the future and will make sure you are invited WW.  If I do the future one on another night of the week, like a Monday, would that work any better for you?

<S>
Ryno

I have the weirdest work week of anyone I know..
You'll see me on any where between 2am & 5am until approx 9am est Sat thru Wed.. My days off are with the squad & starts around 9pm est..
Lots of stuff in the real world happening as well..

as much as I'd love to sit in, <shrug>

Wrngway

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 01:13:24 PM »
Nice!  :aok

Maybe record the session and post the films here afterwards for those who can't make it?  :salute :cheers:

Hey Latrobe,

As I told Wrngway, some of what I do in this course uses the .target command, which does not show up in AH films, unfortunately.  (Wish they would add that at some point.)  I also spend the first few minutes in tower explaining the convergence and gunsight setup I use for the course.  So, that wouldn't be in the film either.

If someone wants to come film it using some external software that can capture all that, then you are more than welcome.

Also, an update:  I have a couple squaddies who can make Wednesday and a couple who can make Thursday next week, so I am going to run the course BOTH NIGHTS.  I am therefore opening up the THURSDAY, May 29th 7:30 Central session to the public also.  Please PM me to RSVP.  Thanks!

<S>
Ryno

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Film records in the tower.  You can start film in the tower, go flying, end flight, and still be recording back in the tower.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
I could maybe try and hop in to be a "cameraman" and record it with FRAPS. I could even then upload it to YouTube as a gunnery tutorial if you want me to or I can just upload the Mpeg file here. The problem is if I can actually make it. I'll have to see how real life plays out for me so I can't guarantee that I can make it.

If someone could get in there and record it that would definitely help out anyone who couldn't make it.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »
I could maybe try and hop in to be a "cameraman" and record it with FRAPS. I could even then upload it to YouTube as a gunnery tutorial if you want me to or I can just upload the Mpeg file here. The problem is if I can actually make it. I'll have to see how real life plays out for me so I can't guarantee that I can make it.

If someone could get in there and record it that would definitely help out anyone who couldn't make it.

@FLS: You know, I complete forgot about that, as I use "auto-record" so it always starts and stops with flight.  However, that still doesn't solve the issue of not being able to see the target and the results I'll be discussing.

@Latrobe: You are welcome if you can make it Latrobe!  One of these days I'll take the time to learn how to use FRAPS and make films -- just so many other things on my plate.

<S> Gents
Ryno

Offline Badger85

• Copper Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »
I was planning on recording our session on Thursday (Part 2) with FRAPS and putting that video on my channel. As for Part 1, I was going to put together a "review" video using the notes that I took when we did that session back in the day. I'll definitely run both videos by you, Ryno, before I make them live on my channel.
ENS Badger85 (Reserves)
VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers" : http://www.thejollyrogers.net
Aviation Blog : http://abovegroundlevel.org

"We were the corsairs of the Pacific conflict, and I believe we were the last of the corsairs." -George Grider

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »
I was planning on recording our session on Thursday (Part 2) with FRAPS and putting that video on my channel. As for Part 1, I was going to put together a "review" video using the notes that I took when we did that session back in the day. I'll definitely run both videos by you, Ryno, before I make them live on my channel.

Cool deal. Bonus points for you.  :)

<S>
Ryno

Offline WW1965

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 04:12:54 AM »
so.. unless that public school system scarred me for life.. that's 8:30 est.. on the 29th.. yeah I'll do my best to be there..

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 04:25:33 AM »
so.. unless that public school system scarred me for life.. that's 8:30 est.. on the 29th.. yeah I'll do my best to be there..

Correct! Glad you can make it that night WW! See you then.

<S>
Ryno

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »

There is ONE more slot available for the Wednesday night session of the Gunnery clinic.

I am now also running the course on Thursday the 29th, also starting at 7:30 Central time in the TA.  I have a few slots open yet for that night.

Please PM me if interested.

<S>
Ryno

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »
 What about players that dont know of or belong to the forums?

There's many players that dont get the imfo from the BBS but they sure could benefit from the help.

:salute