Author Topic: Vic formation for interceptors and a new "Interceptor" scoring category  (Read 2759 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
It is disadvantageous to fly without wingmen. Historically, it was hardly ever done. But it is (apparently) way too difficult to actually coordinate mutual support with other human players in this game.

The vic was a standard formation at the start of the war, good for concentrating fire on attacking bombers when acting as interceptors. Not so good for dealing with fighters as it turned out, but coading finger-four would be asking a bit much.

Therefore, I request being able to check a box that will give me two artificial wingmen who will follow me welded-wing formation and fire in parallel to me, at least when flying certain dedicated interceptors like the 110, 190 series, 262, etc. Call them "drones" if you will.

I'm pretty sure this can be done. We have the technology.

There should probably be some limit on the maneuvering the interceptor vic can do without loosing the "drones", while allowing for some maneuvering. The current technology for that again seems adequate, as bomber formations *already* dogfight fairly nimbly.

Also, I suggest that external views be allowed for interceptor vics, to simulate the look around capacity the eyes of wingmen would give you.

This is still an imperfect solution, not nearly as good as having human individuals in the other two planes, but a necessary one I think. Otherwise historical coordinated formations of interceptors will almost never be seen in the MA.

As a balance, I suggest that fighter formations only be enabled when flying in a new category which I dub "Interceptor" category, with scoring and perk points all it's own. Only kills of things that can be flown as bomber will count towards score in this category, any incidental kills of fighters will not count, rather like how kills of vehicles don't count when flying fighter.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
It is disadvantageous to fly without wingmen. Historically, it was hardly ever done. But it is (apparently) way too difficult to actually coordinate mutual support with other human players in this game.

The vic was a standard formation at the start of the war, good for concentrating fire on attacking bombers when acting as interceptors. Not so good for dealing with fighters as it turned out, but coading finger-four would be asking a bit much.

Therefore, I request being able to check a box that will give me two artificial wingmen who will follow me welded-wing formation and fire in parallel to me, at least when flying certain dedicated interceptors like the 110, 190 series, 262, etc. Call them "drones" if you will.

I'm pretty sure this can be done. We have the technology.

There should probably be some limit on the maneuvering the interceptor vic can do without loosing the "drones", while allowing for some maneuvering. The current technology for that again seems adequate, as bomber formations *already* dogfight fairly nimbly.

Also, I suggest that external views be allowed for interceptor vics, to simulate the look around capacity the eyes of wingmen would give you.

This is still an imperfect solution, not nearly as good as having human individuals in the other two planes, but a necessary one I think. Otherwise historical coordinated formations of interceptors will almost never be seen in the MA.

As a balance, I suggest that fighter formations only be enabled when flying in a new category which I dub "Interceptor" category, with scoring and perk points all it's own. Only kills of things that can be flown as bomber will count towards score in this category, any incidental kills of fighters will not count, rather like how kills of vehicles don't count when flying fighter.

This is a perfectly brilliant idea! Not only that, but I believe this would help pilots, and more importantly, squadrons, who don't have a grasp of actual wingman tactics or formation flying become familiarized with the concept. It would also look cool.

You would probably have to make the drones "break away" rather easily when going to hard maneuvering for more than a second or two, as turn fights are relatively historically inaccurate and experienced pilots would avoid them at all costs. Otherwise, you have potential for abuse.

-=S=-
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
I'd give it a -1

The bigger issues is marketing and numbers. AH is not taking this part serious and consequently our numbers are dropping. We need to double the number of sticks in-game, then you can get your wingmen.

Just my two cents.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
BoneZ, Skyyr...   :rofl

For Buff hunting this would rock.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
BnZ,

Would you accept a compromise?  Instead of AI pilots in formation, employ a "new" function of the "Pickup Missions" planner.  Setup formations, waypoints, and target objectives (example:  AMB {ammo bunker} 0, 1 and 2; Field 86 ). 

Your formation (of 3 online pilots in the above example) will take off and fly to the designated field.  A score for each pilot will be given (either in perk points, system message or achievement announcement) upon successfully landing of entire formation.

Drones and AI might be a hard sell in the main arena, but your idea does increase incentives for wingman flying, which is also the function of the Mission Planner.  This compromise also would hopefully increase the use of the mission planner and on a formation level (anti horde).

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
So you just want to have F3 and drones in a fighter to specifically shoot down bomber formations.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:29:20 AM by Xavier »
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Fighters with Drones...  :huh

Fighters with Drones...  :huh

Get out.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Yeah, there's no way this would be abused...
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Yeah, there's no way this would be abused...

Explain how it would be abused...unless you happen to think an individual player being able to click a box in the hangar for two spare planes is *inherently* abusive in some way  :devil

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
Select TU in hangar. Enable formation. Wish granted.

And -1 for this wish. We have enough parasites in fast planes living off other people's work without giving them two more planes to make it even easier to pick. Plus the bomber guys have a tough enough job as it is.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Your whining about bombers is getting very, very old, BnZs.

They are pathetically easy to kill.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Dear Lil Mak: Explain to me how three planes whose guns fire in non-converging parallel, and who cannot maneuver too much without drone loss would be useful for picking fighter on fighter engagements? Especially as fighter kills wouldn't count towards score for them. 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Since people often shoot inaccurately it seems likely that increasing the field of fire would be an advantage in Boom and Zoom, or BnZ if you will.  ;)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Actually Karn it is your arguements that contain progressively less intelligence or substance. Now you are basically down to name calling :) 

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
This is one of those wishes in the wishlist forum that the original poster had to know would never be granted, yet he chose to post it anyway. Why do they do it?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck