Author Topic: Is Aces High II soon to become just a memory of good times past?  (Read 8994 times)

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
Re: Is Aces High II soon to become just a memory of good times past?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 08:03:05 PM »

I don't agree.  Strategy lies within the PLAYERS and the game's IMMENSE content ALLOWS for TRUE battle strategy.  

That's insanity.

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
That's insanity.

How so?

The players control how the game is played. At this time the majority of players like to horde. years ago is was multi-pronged attacks, and years before that it was furballing. Times change and so does game play. HTC COULD change things to force a play style but they won't.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 12:31:31 AM »
Did you read my comments through your ignore list with psychic abilities?

How so?

The players control how the game is played. At this time the majority of players like to horde. years ago is was multi-pronged attacks, and years before that it was furballing. Times change and so does game play. HTC COULD change things to force a play style but they won't.

Because, your misconceptions about the game are still as wrong as they've always been.

There have NEVER been any "mulit-pronged attacks." That's another fantasy you imagined to support your theories.

Multiple large scale battles that were seen before were the result of having an average of 600+ players in a full arena and people choosing to start their own base takes for a variety of reasons NOT including some massive cooperative effort. It happened because people have always chosen to do their own thing in the game.

Even if a group of people decided to conduct such a coordinated attack, there are no huge strategic advantages to most of the bases on most of the maps. Yes there are slight advantages here and there, but they all have the same value in the final tally so any one you cant take can be left for an easier target.

Contrary to the proclamations made in your 10 year crusade there is still furballing. It may not be as easy to find when half the players have run off, but they are still there.

And yes, htc could do something to improve the game but most likely none of what you believe.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 02:29:52 AM »
At this time the majority of players like to horde. years ago is was multi-pronged attacks, and years before that it was furballing.

Years ago we had even more 'hording'. The so called "multi prong attacks" were just a result of having much more players in the arena, and almost never a result of a complex battle plan.

Shortly after I joined the Rook LCA combined operations strated rolling in 2006, which simply was a giant horde shutting down all bases in a given sector... because they had the manpower to do so.
With less players on each team, but increased target defenses (both active & passive) you simply more important to concentrate on one base at a time -> one blob moving around. When you have like triple numbers, you can move around in several blobs (which is alse not the result of a single, masterful battle plan).
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 02:55:47 AM »
Whats with the funerals here? I do not see this game having heart attack any time soon.

Speaking from the perspective of finnish community, I'd say the game follows more organic development instead of some clear mathematically precise curve. Finland have short and warm summers and we want to get most out of it. Thus means little less time on puter. On our long dark winter time there is nothing better to do but get together online and take down some enemy fields. But this goes well with the level of enthusiasm as well. People get tired of the game, yes. They have kids. They have technical issues or monetary problems. But they all come back sooner or later.

I can't really understand the defeatist attitude that seem to have this hidden message included to the HTC - that if not some rules or this or that happens, the game will surely die. I just saw Kanttori for a breaf moment and he promised to take karelia map in to consideration after the new graphics update. This is surely something happening!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 03:08:33 AM by LLv34_Dictonius »
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 06:55:49 AM »
Whats with the funerals here? I do not see this game having heart attack any time soon.
I can't really understand the defeatist attitude that seem to have this hidden message included to the HTC - that if not some rules or this or that happens, the game will surely die. I just saw Kanttori for a breaf moment and he promised to take karelia map in to consideration after the new graphics update. This is surely something happening!

+1

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »
Did you read my comments through your ignore list with psychic abilities?

Because, your misconceptions about the game are still as wrong as they've always been.

There have NEVER been any "mulit-pronged attacks." That's another fantasy you imagined to support your theories.

Multiple large scale battles that were seen before were the result of having an average of 600+ players in a full arena and people choosing to start their own base takes for a variety of reasons NOT including some massive cooperative effort. It happened because people have always chosen to do their own thing in the game.

Even if a group of people decided to conduct such a coordinated attack, there are no huge strategic advantages to most of the bases on most of the maps. Yes there are slight advantages here and there, but they all have the same value in the final tally so any one you cant take can be left for an easier target.

Contrary to the proclamations made in your 10 year crusade there is still furballing. It may not be as easy to find when half the players have run off, but they are still there.

And yes, htc could do something to improve the game but most likely none of what you believe.

I clear my ignore list ever month or two. I get everyone the chance to finally get some brains. Those tat post mostly pictures make back on first, soon to be followed by the idiots.

As for the multi pronged missions, I know we had then as I ran them. So did tzr and Mug of the Mafia. It may have been before your time, but just because you didn't experience it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The BOPs and the LCA were of the first groups to horde. And let's get this straight,  a horde is a group/mission with over 30 players that piles on a single base. True bases are no longer valued like back in the day when we had the zone bases, but it is still up to the players to make the game fun, or boring.

YES there are still furballs, but again nothing like we had in AH1.  They would last hours sometimes, some of the first larger maps made had a fighter town where many of these things happen.  Again it may have been before your time, but it did happen.

Some players try to bring more fun in by running themed missions but whats the point if your bringing 35 players? You can even assign target because there wont be enough to go around.

The players can make the changes in game play if the wanted to, but most just want to grab that next base.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »
I can't really understand the defeatist attitude that seem to have this hidden message included to the HTC - that if not some rules or this or that happens, the game will surely die.

I'll agree that some people may have that attitude, but not all, not even all who disagree with this rule or that.  I've argued about bbs policy recently, yet I was always very positive about the future of the game itself while doing so.  HT agreed that when there is a long lull in the aciton, ie a long development cycle under way, it exacerbates the other issues, and sometimes when people don't like answers to questions they'll attack in other manners, like what you're talking about here, but IMO, this isn't as systemic as all that.  

Despite the things I don't like, there is an awful lot that I do, and most of all, I remember what a leap forward the first Aces High was over previous creations such as AW, WB, FA, and the like that I was used to.  I'm not just hopeful, I'm reasonably certain that HTC will bring a similar experience in the near future with the current work being done.  This is the single most important thing that keeps me for one around - hope, and I know many, many others, despite their own issues with whatever, feel the same way.  In fact, I would say most long term players, say over a couple years or so, are here at least in some part, due to hope for the future.  

The numbers are lower now than they have been in the past at some point - yes.  That will change shortly I would imagine, once that new beta hits the front page with news of a new "AH3" or whatever beta arena, I think there will be a big, big arrow up with regards to this.  If nothing else, we'll all have one less thing to complain about then, hah.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »
There have NEVER been any "mulit-pronged attacks."

Yes there have been.  They are very rare, but I have been in on a few.  I remember one day in particular when a couple of squads were working together to coordinate their base captures.  So, you can't say it never happens.  Well, you can, and probably will.  But you will be dead wrong.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Erkel

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 10:51:28 PM »
Hoo-ray for those squads disciplined enough to organize a mulit-prong attack.  Yes it can and has been done but rarely with a "pickup mission".

"Pickup missions" are always a cluster f**k.  TOO FEW mission leaders bother to really think a mission through or even willing to throttle back to allow those in the mission to "form up" AS a group.  And even if they did throttle back, TOO MANY players feel they need to RACE LIKE HELL to be the first one there so they can grab the most attack perks they can off the choicest targets before the rest of the group gets there.

I still like flying "pickup missions" though.  I still enjoy flying with the players that understand what a GROUP effort means, who make the effort to fly in formation, who follow orders and willing to do their assigned jobs as a small part in a large effort.

What if the Hokey Pokey's REALLY what it's all about...

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 11:22:49 PM »
It may have been before your time, but just because you didn't experience it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I've been playing since '97, I've seen it all, which explains how I know you're wrong.

And unless you call sending bombers or jabos to take out ords, troops, hangars or whatever a "multi-pronged attack" then you haven't run any such thing.

Fights scattered across the maps happen ALL the time. Does that mean they are "multi-pronged attacks?" No. Is there some coordinated efforts, yes but not the fantasy you eluded to.

but it is still up to the players to make the game fun, or boring.

Oh yes, Hasbro would be so much more successful if they sold board games with the single instruction, do what you want with the pieces and have fun.

The players can make the changes in game play if the wanted to

Really? Then go ahead and fix the game instead of talking about it.   :aok

Yes there have been.  They are very rare, but I have been in on a few.

Oh I see it now...   "hey are you guys taking 43?"  

"yea"

"cool, we're taking a base too. Want to coordinate?"

"yea"

"cool, we'll attack this base and you attack that base..."

I'm sure Patton would have been in AWE.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »
From my own personal recollection,  their were times back between late 2000 thru mid year of 2004 that certain squads did indeed work together in attacking multiple bases , targets and even running a few decoy flights... It was known about and it did happen on all sides/countrys...

Then came the megasquads and the enormous hordes shortly there after...

But in the early years below is a list of just some of the squads that worked together and hit multiple bases/targets, and sometimes. even took out fuel, ordinance, troops, supplies at all fronts of a country, to keep them back on their heels while the squads working together could push back or go after the other 3rd side/country

The 412th branco mustangs,  JG27th,  VMF101, jb42 jb11 jb73's JB squad, MAW, the AK's, the Damned... Ripsnort's awesome mission planning, gypsy baron's great tactical strategic abilities....

It was like having a continuous rolling FSO or scenario sort of....

It did not happen a lot, nor everyday, but it did happen and on all countries.... My apologies for not naming some certain squads... Snapshot's squad before he joined the blue knights, heck the blue knights, and a lot of others they played their part....

and it was good

<§>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »
I've been playing since '97, I've seen it all, which explains how I know you're wrong.

And unless you call sending bombers or jabos to take out ords, troops, hangars or whatever a "multi-pronged attack" then you haven't run any such thing.

Fights scattered across the maps happen ALL the time. Does that mean they are "multi-pronged attacks?" No. Is there some coordinated efforts, yes but not the fantasy you eluded to.

Oh yes, Hasbro would be so much more successful if they sold board games with the single instruction, do what you want with the pieces and have fun.

Really? Then go ahead and fix the game instead of talking about it.   :aok

Oh I see it now...   "hey are you guys taking 43?"  

"yea"

"cool, we're taking a base too. Want to coordinate?"

"yea"

"cool, we'll attack this base and you attack that base..."

I'm sure Patton would have been in AWE.

Wow now i remember why you always end up on the ignore list. You think anything you type is gospel and everyone else hasn't a clue as to what they are saying. TC has verified what I said, but he doesn't know what he is talking about either I guess so we are both wrong.  :rolleyes:

You who haven't even played recently know everything.  Those of us that have been hear right along can see what is happening. The game isn't played the way it was years ago. All the tools are still there, but people don't bother to use them. It takes too long to get buffs to target at alt, it is too much trouble coordinating multiple wings for strike times. There are fasted and easier ways to play an so that is how it is now played. A boring repeating game play........ much like many other games players play today. Spawn, shoot, die, repeat over and over until bored and then move on to the next game.

This game will continue its slide until some thing puts the "substance" back into the game.

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »
As a newer player (about a year), I'd like to offer my two cents:

I enjoy this game, and I don't see what the whining is all about.  I find muzik's critique of ad-hoc mission development ("Patton would have been in AWE") to be quite humorous.  Muzik, let me know when you've talked HTC into requiring players to attend War College.  I'll quit the game immediately.

Side note: the entire subscription industry is in decline, moving toward microtransaction gaming (play for free, except when you want a perked ride).  On the whole, the curve for subscription gaming is going down, and the curve for microtrans gaming is on the rise.   
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
AH is here to stay...period! If it ever goes public I'll buy every stock I can :airplane:
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait