Author Topic: Scoring  (Read 5148 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Scoring
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 06:33:30 PM »
Well, exactly that was in the OP, a request to honorate the timidity.

Would be an awesome game to play...
Agreed, and I think that is a bad thing.  Some people simply place K/D on a high pedestal as the ultimate and only real arbiter of skill and it really isn't even a very good arbiter of skill.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »
Agreed, and I think that is a bad thing.  Some people simply place K/D on a high pedestal as the ultimate and only real arbiter of skill and it really isn't even a very good arbiter of skill.

not one bit of the scoring or ranking system is a indicator of skills..

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 07:41:20 PM »

have to disagree the top 20 fighter pilots every tour are normally always guys that have a good combination of SA, gunnery and ACM.  They are usually a good fight also. 

I'd like to hear what you think is a good indicator of fighter skill INK?   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 08:04:38 PM »

Presumably the dueling bracket.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 08:06:03 PM »

Which tests a relatively limited subset of skills.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 08:12:07 PM »
Youre such an optimistic and good willing man. I would like to see the world in the same way.

The OP currently has a decent KPH of 6.2, so it's not a personal problem. Also I just spent an hour doing desperate base defense against a horde with him.  :aok  :devil
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »

Which tests a relatively limited subset of skills.

Well yes, but if you discount MA fighter score entirely what other litmus test is left?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 08:35:02 PM »
While it can be gamed (such gaming is usually pretty easy to see: "Bob has 500 kills of Frank, and few kills of anyone else, while Frank has no kills at all" sort of thing) I think that if somebody is maintaining a good K/D and good K/H without cheating it is a pretty solid indicator that they are good.  If you have a good K/D and K/H it pretty much follows that you have a good accuracy rate too.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 09:06:16 PM »
have to disagree the top 20 fighter pilots every tour are normally always guys that have a good combination of SA, gunnery and ACM.  They are usually a good fight also. 

:rofl

ummm gee durr hmm...let me tink bout it....

how about HOW they "fight" :rolleyes:

score is easy to "game" as you well know. ;)

love how you ASSume..... what you have no clue about. :aok

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »
and how do you assume the top guys get their kills by running all the time?  People do tend to talk alot of lies in AH and use stereotypes.

Top ten thus far:

Bruv119    Original FPH material
TonyJoey    One of the best sticks I've had the pleasure to fight and call a friend. FPH
ROCKY    Consistent at what he does.
Delirium    Legend
DrBone    FPH before he got struck off the list for offering to spoon Midway.
Pawz            Legend
Sabot    Name changer forget his old ID
xPoisonx    New tuff guy haven't fought
Stinky    Haven't seen or fought
kappa    FPH

Going by your outright dismissal of the fighter scoring mechanism I'd wager you would only manage to beat 3 or 4 of those guys in a fair fight?   So mythbusted!   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
score is easy to "game" as you well know. ;)

Fighter score only to some limit.

Of course fighter rank ain't a true 1-1 reflection of fighter skill. Not even close. But then, nothing is. We would have to define "fighting skills" first, which will run into problems... Asking for the "best pilot in the MA" is like asking for the "best plane" ... no definite answer on that ;)

But to get into the top (let's say, 20), you need a very complete and significantly above average set of skills, ACM being just one (albeit important) of them. Mr. two weeker cant just decide to "game his way" to the top (At least not in LW - EW and MW is a different thing)

A good dueller is first and foremost good at one thing: Dueling, means applying ACM in a verly limited, clearly defined envronment. While many good duellers are also very good MA pilots (because they have additional skills at a high level as well), there a quite a few great duellers that fail in the chaotic and much greater context of the MA. You can be very good at basic 1v1 ACM, yet totally fail at developing battle awareness.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:19:48 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 09:20:46 PM »
and how do you assume the top guys get their kills by running all the time?  People do tend to talk alot of lies in AH and use stereotypes.

Top ten thus far:

Bruv119    Original FPH material
TonyJoey    One of the best sticks I've had the pleasure to fight and call a friend. FPH
ROCKY    Consistent at what he does.
Delirium    Legend
DrBone    FPH before he got struck off the list for offering to spoon Midway.
Pawz            Legend
Sabot    Name changer forget his old ID
xPoisonx    New tuff guy haven't fought
Stinky    Haven't seen or fought
kappa    FPH

Going by your outright dismissal of the fighter scoring mechanism I'd wager you would only manage to beat 3 or 4 of those guys in a fair fight?   So mythbusted!   

ok middy

go get another shade to hump your own ankle.... :rolleyes:

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2014, 09:23:59 PM »
lose an argument resort to name calling typical!   

I wish Midway was here I miss having warm ankles and the trolollols. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 09:27:24 PM »
lose an argument resort to name calling typical!   

I wish Midway was here I miss having warm ankles and the trolollols. 

I didn't lose anything....

you are a straight up liar....you are delusional....I will never have a "conversation" with you...

as you well know.

so piss off rodent.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 04:32:16 AM »
love how you ASSume..... what you have no clue about. :aok

You said "not one bit" of the scoring system for the MA is an indicator of skill. I'm not assuming, I'm going directly by *your own words*!  When you dismiss the factors that MA score rates one on on, by default nothing is left as an indicator of skill except individual dueling ability.

BTW, I would be interested to know how players with an elite hit% and elite kills per hour can get there with no skill whatsoever. I haven't gotten there with lots of practice.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:50:10 AM by BnZs »