Author Topic: Scoring  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Scoring
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2014, 04:31:45 AM »
I don't care if I lose them. I just want to give the enemy some kind of motivation to kill me rather than run away!  :devil

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2014, 04:32:44 AM »
well one or two did have a profound effect.  Guys would stay in a fight just to get them removed from their opponent. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2014, 07:45:39 AM »

The plane does matter, and actually quite a lot. Else there wouldn't be any need to perk the Tempest or the Me 262, or no one would call a Spit 16 "EZ mode" ;)
The closer the pilot's skill levels to each other are, the more the plane performance levels come into play. Only when there's an extreme pilot skill asymetry it doesn't matter at all what the 'better' pilot is in.

You will generally get very different overall results fighting in a P-40C vs fighting in a Ki-84 under the same circumstances...

This. Latrobe, I think you misunderstood, I mean all things being equal (skill) plane performance becomes paramount.

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2014, 07:52:10 AM »
I think Kruel has been drinking, or dropped head first. This whole thing is "speshul"

If you don't have anything constructive to add, please don't. If you don't agree, make your points and we can have a logical discussion.

Otherwise, see rule #4.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2014, 08:25:37 AM »
This. Latrobe, I think you misunderstood, I mean all things being equal (skill) plane performance becomes paramount.

If all things were equal then the fight would end in a draw or last until someone ran out of fuel. I think Lusche and I are seeing the same thing though, just from different perspectives. The plane is important. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of both planes in a fight will give you a big edge, but planes are just planes. They need a pilot in the cockpit in order to fly and maneuver. Lusche, and others, see this from the plane matchup perspective. I see it from the pilot matchup perspective. The better pilot will be able to understand the strengths and weaknesses of both planes, exploit these strengths and weaknesses, and out fly their opponent. Unless horribly outmatched, your plane will have at least 1 advantage over your opponents. The better pilot will be able to exploit this one advantage to win.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »
the only way to truly be able to judge someones "skill" is to fight him...period. :D

So, basically the dueling bracket.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
I don't care if I lose them. I just want to give the enemy some kind of motivation to kill me rather than run away!  :devil

Yes in Fighter Ace, besides being able to see who you are fighting(player names enabled) vs having to go to film or asking on 200 "HEY YOU 47 AT 10, 2, 4 FIGHT ME OUT OR I'LL CHECK MY FILM AND FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE ANYWAY. Sorry lol. What was I saying? Ah yes aces in fighter ace,

Like Bruv explained, 5 consecutive kills = 1 *, so if you had a 25 kill streak you would see your name as "Latrobe *****" more importantly enemies could see your name as that as well. After ***** it would turn into a number, so 30 killstreak was "Latrobe 6*"

With names enabled, and a full map radar with dots and alt pointers, it wasn't hard to find who you were looking for, If you were holding a lot of kills, people were out to hunt you down.

Think of it instead of landing kills and getting your name in lights for 2 seconds, it's flying around with your name in lights constantly, definitely an epeen booster, and more than enough motive for people to come kill you. Typical chat conversation went sort of like:

Player 1: holy crap Player 2 nice streak/rack
Player 2: thanks :)
Player 3: How many?
Player 1: 12! (60 kills on a row)
Player 4: I'm coming for them.
Player 5: me too!
Player 6: I'm climbing out, those stars are gonna be gone soon!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:36:03 AM by Kruel »

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2014, 08:35:21 AM »
I don't care if I lose them. I just want to give the enemy some kind of motivation to kill me rather than run away!  :devil

You've already found it, it is called a P-47.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2014, 08:45:10 AM »
If all things were equal then the fight would end in a draw or last until someone ran out of fuel. I think Lusche and I are seeing the same thing though, just from different perspectives. The plane is important. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of both planes in a fight will give you a big edge, but planes are just planes. They need a pilot in the cockpit in order to fly and maneuver. Lusche, and others, see this from the plane matchup perspective. I see it from the pilot matchup perspective. The better pilot will be able to understand the strengths and weaknesses of both planes, exploit these strengths and weaknesses, and out fly their opponent. Unless horribly outmatched, your plane will have at least 1 advantage over your opponents. The better pilot will be able to exploit this one advantage to win.

No you aren't saying the same thing, I said all things being equal except for planes of course. Think about fighting your evil twin, who flies a plane with much better performance. Who would win?

I said #1 pilot vs #2 pilot to illustrate that they are both very skilled.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2014, 09:04:06 AM »
If I could clone myself and put Latrobe2 in a Spit16 while Latrobe1 flies a P-47D25, both Latrobe's know how both planes handle, what each others strengths are, and what the weaknesses are. I know it would end in a draw because both Latrobe's would be using the advantages they have over the others weaknesses. The only way one Latrobe would beat the other is if the plane match up was completely one sided like an i-16 vs A6M5. The i-16 holds no advantages over an A6M5 so Latrobe1 flying the A6M5 would win solely because Latrobe2 is in the i-16 and has no advantages to exploit. Put Latrobe2 in an F6F and now he has some advantages over the A6M5 and the fight would end in a draw again.

If plane matchup meant everything then all you'd see in the MA is Spit16's and P-51D's (or more than we already see  :) ). Why fly a 190A5 or Ki-61? Those planes aren't the best of the best and you'd just die. But we do see 190A5's and Ki-61's in the MA, and we see them killing "better" planes as well. That's because the pilot is making the difference. Does flying a "better" plane make the fight easier for you? Yes, but it does not mean you automatically win. You still have to out fly your opponent and shoot them down.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2014, 09:23:17 AM »
You've already found it, it is called a P-47.
Thats not working that way. Seen all kinds of planes trying to run from a lone D9, even a zeek too (kamurogi). That was a FACEPALM.
AoM
City of ice

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »
Thats not working that way. Seen all kinds of planes trying to run from a lone D9, even a zeek too (kamurogi). That was a FACEPALM.

As very few planes (and certainly not the Zeke) are physically capable of out-running a D9, it seems like this should rarely be a problem for you.

And I suspect most of the people complaining about runners aren't in D9s.  :devil
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:38:36 AM by BnZs »

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »
Yes it was called Aces,   and was listed as * for 5 kills , ** 10 *** 15 and so on.   Anything over 5  went into number form  so   seeing  Damned _Bruv_ 50*    flying through the air would be one hell of a motivation to kill it.  Unfortunately latrobe it meant not being killed or you would lose them.    ;)

Quite often the Damned were flying around fields with large clusters of stars,  most people would just scatter or leave because they were either traumatised from their last engagement or in awe at such teamwork, dedication and skill.   Ajax, Vulcan, Smokin, playmate, rilak, soulslinger, klaatu, saint,   the list goes on.

If only we all played in the same universe and could have had a muppet vs damned squad match, it would have been a very intense fight and damned would have cleared up with their B team.

You left out Shadow ;p from that list, I know you don't like him but you know he was/is good, I was New but certainly had great success towards the end as well , all great guys and even better pilots, I miss Ajax!  And I agree, there two very big differences in philosophy between these 2 squads, the thing that made The Damned legendary was this teamwork, specially against superior numbers. I think the KOTS record was like 162-6 or something ridiculous like that. None came close, glory days indeed :). With any luck we will be bringing that here :)

I guess a lot of these folks don't realize we are used to the hate, we actually thrive on it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
If plane matchup meant everything then all you'd see...

But noboy claims it means everything.
Because it would be as nonsense as "nothing".

;)

But we do see 190A5's and Ki-61's in the MA, and we see them killing "better" planes as well.

Because it's the combination of plane & player - both are defining the the total combat performance package.   lethality = pilot * plane  (simplified spoken)
It's a very different thing engaging an enemy blob all on your own ina P-40C than doing the same in a Tempest. Killing in a Tempest is easier because of the plane.

If the plane meant nothing, no one would ever complain about those SPixteens, lala's and so on. Heck, we even could set all perk planes free...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:21:47 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »

But noboy claims it means everything.
Because it would be as nonsense as "nothing".

;)

Because it's the combination of plane & player - both are defining the the total combat performance package.   lethality = pilot * plane  (simplified spoken)
It's a very different thing engaging an enemy blob all on your own ina P-40C than doing the same in a Tempest. Killing in a Tempest is easier because of the plane.

If the plane meant nothing, no one would ever complain about those SPixteens, lala's and so on. Heck, we even could set all perk planes free...

Agreed, but this is more about scoring and how it could be made more objective and less "gamey". Being that some people don't agree with my wish, what are some of your ideas?