Author Topic: Replacement for the Brew  (Read 9135 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: Replacement for the Brew
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2014, 08:14:07 AM »
Ok.  597 for a minute in a dive is hard to believe as well due to how shallow the dive would need to be.  If the dive were steep it would hit the ground before the minute was done.

It is possible that there are bugs with the aircraft.  We have seen certain examples in the past (C-47s and A6M3s flying much faster than they ought to at very high altitudes, fixed by HTC when shown), but we need evidence to support that.  I know that at speeds below 500mph that the Brewster decelerates much faster than the Fw190D-9, indicating that it has significantly higher drag.  There may be a bug at higher speeds.  Film is really needed.
Inertia. The brewster decelerates very fast compared to other planes for the same reason that it sucks in a ballistic climb compared to other planes. Because it's very light.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2014, 08:25:58 AM »
The interesting overall point of all of this is the perception, real or not of all the small airplanes performance in AH.  My WAG is the small planes drag model is in error in the way they assign a value to the drag coefficient or its equivalent constant AH uses to simulate drag.  Without wind tunnel test you have to do something.

My additional WAG is they use frontal area where data is not available to generate an equivalent drag coefficient.  It is the assumption that frontal area drag assignment works on these older planes with less attention paid to skin friction that may be misguiding small plane modeling.  In addition and maybe most proable is Cowling drag on radial engine planes may be much higher on these older models than anticipated .  Again my WAG and I have zero information to support this.

Here is a good explanation of drag.
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/drageq.html

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2014, 08:26:17 AM »
yall dont fly it enough thats all there is to it.
Yep pretty much, if they flew it for awhile in the MA they'd realize the only things it does well is maneuvering, handling and going slow, catching on fire and getting the pilot wounded. Just like the plague of n1k2 whines twelve years ago. The whines of the n1k2 being a "ufo" were all from players witnessing somebody else in a n1k2 doing ufo things. I do wonder why it was the n1k2 and now the 239 that garner so much whining.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2014, 08:34:32 AM »
First of all, like I said, I climbed to over 20k and timed it to be around 50 secs or so. My E6B said I reached a top speed of 597 and held that for a minuet and only ripped apart due to my error of pulling out of the dive to hard at 2k

My film does NOT support that.......................Ai lerons shed well before that.

I fly the Brew quite a bit, I have NEVER been able to do the things people claim it can do.

NOT

AKNOT

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »
Inertia. The brewster decelerates very fast compared to other planes for the same reason that it sucks in a ballistic climb compared to other planes. Because it's very light.
That isn't what coalcat and others claim.  They claim it has magic E retention and such.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2014, 08:52:16 AM »
That isn't what coalcat and others claim.  They claim it has magic E retention and such.
I've flown it a lot in MA, one of the things I noticed early on is that it handles well in a high speed dive, BUT you better make your shots count in the dive because as soon as you level out that bandit is going to rapidly shrink into a dot on the horizon. And like flying a zeke, don't chase anybody up a zoom climb unless you think you have a chance of shooting him before he get's out of gun range.

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2014, 09:04:05 AM »
Did I say it was a vert dive? It was at about 20 degrees after getting up to full speed in level flight

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »
y'all don't fly it enough that's all there is to it.

How about a new You Tube video from you on the Brewster. It is about time for a new film from you anyway I always find them very entertaining. :aok

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
Did I say it was a vert dive? It was at about 20 degrees after getting up to full speed in level flight
You won't hit 597mph in a 20 degree dive.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
Skuzzy, I request that this thread be locked, it has gone too far.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »
Skuzzy, I request that this thread be locked, it has gone too far.

Why cry foul on the thread? First you make claims about the brew and now the thread,which is overmodeled,the thread or the brew?

You made claims without proof,then when asked for film you used some excuse as to why you cant supply the film. Others come along with proof of testing and you say"I didnt say that I said this".

The only way this thread has gone too far is in it's refute to your claims,I knew they were off base simply because you seem to be confussed about the differences in "E" and speed but thats another topic for another thread.

:salute

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »

Why cry foul on the thread? First you make claims about the brew and now the thread,which is overmodeled,the thread or the brew?

You made claims without proof,then when asked for film you used some excuse as to why you cant supply the film. Others come along with proof of testing and you say"I didnt say that I said this".

The only way this thread has gone too far is in it's refute to your claims,I knew they were off base simply because you seem to be confussed about the differences in "E" and speed but thats another topic for another thread.

:aok :aok :aok :cheers:

AKNOT

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »

Ok like I said, not much is about the brew anymore on this thread, that is why I am requesting that it be locked

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline darkzking

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
Coalcat is not known for his brains in the squad but thats just the way we like him  :uhoh  :devil   :ahand
raynos32 Leader of the 242nd Sloppy Terminators
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
See Rule #4