Author Topic: Oculus Rift DK2 due to ship in July - will HTC support it?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Oculus Rift DK2 due to ship in July - will HTC support it?
« on: June 16, 2014, 02:20:43 AM »
Hitech you mentioned you had alpha code for the DK1, well the DK2 is not far off. With a higher rez screen, this new low latency low persistence stuff, and 6DoF tracking.

Rumour is they have orders for 40,000 units already (Oculus say they shipped more than 50000 DK1 kits... some people are quoting as high as 80000).

Will we get native rift DK2 support? (Already pre-ordered mine on announcement, so I'm expecting an early xmas present from Oculus :D )

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: Oculus Rift DK2 due to ship in July - will HTC support it?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »
Not likely since none of your puny infantile necks will support Oculus Rift!
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 01:51:34 PM »
Yessss, how is this going? This has the potential to attack many new players, and the old ones who get Oculus will both require/want easy integration.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »
Chalenge has already declared the OR to be dead technology.

There are dead-end technologies like the Oculus technology that Facebook just bought.

But I for one hope that there is improved support for OR in AH as I also pre-ordered mine and expecting it in August.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 02:30:28 PM »

But I for one hope that there is improved support for OR in AH as I also pre-ordered mine and expecting it in August.

ack-ack

I declared that Facebook might kill it....but am somewhat more optimistic now as it looks like FB is taking a hands-off approach.

I have not pre-ordered the OR DR2 but am thinking about it.
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:53:11 PM »
From what I've heard, the OR 2 has a 1080p resolution and 6DoF tracking (as already stated). So what would be the difference between the DK2 and the final product... or am I just asking stupid questions again?

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 05:31:22 AM »
I just googled it to see what you were talking about,as im just not a tech guy.......in looking at it the first thing that came to mind is man that cant be good for your eyes...... 1970s mothers would be freaking out with that thing......we have gone from "dont sit so close to the TV or you will hurt your eyes....to "lets strap the tv to our head and put the screen 3inches from our eyes   :eek:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:34:31 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:14:43 AM »
I just googled it to see what you were talking about,as im just not a tech guy.......in looking at it the first thing that came to mind is man that cant be good for your eyes...... 1970s mothers would be freaking out with that thing......we have gone from "dont sit so close to the TV or you will hurt your eyes....to "lets strap the tv to our head and put the screen 3inches from our eyes   :eek:

Great minds Bailey! :aok I can't imagine that'd be good for your eyes. Whether it's virtual or not, you're still physically focusing on something almost literally on your eyeball for maybe hours at a time. My eyes are bad enough!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 06:19:18 AM »
I just googled it to see what you were talking about,as im just not a tech guy.......in looking at it the first thing that came to mind is man that cant be good for your eyes...... 1970s mothers would be freaking out with that thing......we have gone from "dont sit so close to the TV or you will hurt your eyes....to "lets strap the tv to our head and put the screen 3inches from our eyes   :eek:

What you are missing is the old DuMont TVs had an electron gun pointed right at your eyes.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:20:57 AM by Randy1 »

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »

I thought that the main reason the rift has stereoscopic projection is to simulate depth of field, so even though the physical screen is just inches away from your eyes, the virtual objects that the eyes focus on (and therefore the focal length of the eyes) can be "miles" away.  :headscratch:

maybe I am applying star trek flavored fictional science to the real world, but if I recall my optics class from college right most optical illusions work by tricking the eyes into focusing at a different distance than they normally would.
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 02:35:38 PM »
The OR team just announced that the consumer version should be ready for prime time in the fall of 2015.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »
They said that last year, about the fall of this year.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 12:11:44 PM »
I wonder if it'll be like C+C, delay delay delay until everyone has forgotten about it.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
They said that last year, about the fall of this year.
I never saw a release announcement.  Heck, I still haven't other than Ack-Ack's claim.  When he said that I went to the Oculus site to see if they had defined specs for it and I couldn't even find an announcement.

I will note that they also have a lot more capital to work with than they did last year.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 05:38:38 PM »

And at least one rather brilliant individual is in near agreement.

When I did the development for the rift with AH the, where did the key board go, issue told me it is not ready for prime time for most applications and would be pretty much useless in ah.

The resolution was such that you could not even read any text.

HiTech

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.