Author Topic: Aces High - The first six months  (Read 5638 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: Aces High - The first six months
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
Understood, like I said some of us will jump in and see if we have fun. We don't look for people who don't work together though some of the most fun we have is when we run into a squad in the MA. Or into superior numbers.

What we really want is squad v squad dueling brackets or KOTS style battles with everyone flying the same plane, where the only variables that exist are the pilots/squads.

Understood.  The Squad Dueling League, which existed in the past, was precisely that.  My understanding is the the SDL fights were more difficult to organize and tended to create more animosity than anything else.

The nice things about FSO: one, it already exists, and two, most squads are moved to different sides each FSO, so the squad you fight against in this series may be flying beside you on your side the next month.  FSO therefore tends to create a much greater sense of comradery than anything you'll see in the MA or an SDL setup.  Then again that may not be what you guys are looking for.

Hope this info helps.

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:50:20 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2014, 06:50:49 PM »
With reference to FSO events v MA.  I have no issue going to FSO events however, too often they are not possible due to my time zone and availability.  I live in Western Australia and recently have managed 6 hours a weekend in flying time.  I want to get as much fun out of that time as I can.

I did fly an FSO event some time ago and the group we were assigned to never saw an enemy plane.  I am sure it is not always like that but you can understand how I would not want to commit to that when I get to fly so little.

~S~

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2014, 03:00:38 AM »
With reference to FSO events v MA.  I have no issue going to FSO events however, too often they are not possible due to my time zone and availability.  I live in Western Australia and recently have managed 6 hours a weekend in flying time.  I want to get as much fun out of that time as I can.

I did fly an FSO event some time ago and the group we were assigned to never saw an enemy plane.  I am sure it is not always like that but you can understand how I would not want to commit to that when I get to fly so little.

~S~
never seeing a plane is rare usually in my experience its a long flight with one hell of an exciting and hectic end, everyone brings their 'a' game. With the .wingman command even on long flights now you can walk away for a bit(or take a shower as is my custom)
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2014, 06:59:29 AM »
It's nice to see The Damned returning to the venerable days of glory. 10-12 years ago there were 60 + Damned playing on a regular basis. TC, would be fun to watch Fool and Bruv in a 1v1, no? Bwahahahaha!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:01:26 AM by Max »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »
It's nice to see The Damned returning to the venerable days of glory. 10-12 years ago there were 60 + Damned playing on a regular basis. TC, would be fun to watch Fool and Bruv in a 1v1, no? Bwahahahaha!

Good Morning Max,
I have wanted to bring the Damned back to its number of regular players, etc..for some time..

When skyyr and Kruel came and started flying AH, we all talked via pm's and on the phone and I invited them in and asked them to help build the squad back up, in which I'm grateful for their help...

Haha, yes, Fool and Bruv, in a 1 vs 1 would be awesome to watch if they both were flying at their best ability...

<§>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »

Like TC stated, we are working on it, but given the kind of numbers flying today, I don't think 50-60 is plausible anymore, I think we will be focusing more on quality than quantity.

Besides it will be impossible to make a video highlighting 50 people! :)

Offline Iamtheknight

• Zinc Member
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2014, 08:57:41 AM »
Someone should mention the primary membership requirement for joining The Damned.

You have to be able to stand constant Star Wars jokes and other geekery on vox.

Yeah, yeah, maybe trying to do a perfect Alec Guinness impression while dogfighting temporarily reduces combat effectiveness a bit. But if we give that up, the terrorists win!
The Damned BAT in the AH Belfry

"You don't have any special powers"
"Oh I have one...I NEVER give up"-The Batman

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
Someone should mention the primary membership requirement for joining The Damned.

You have to be able to stand constant Star Wars jokes and other geekery on vox.

Yeah, yeah, maybe trying to do a perfect Alec Guinness impression while dogfighting temporarily reduces combat effectiveness a bit. But if we give that up, the terrorists win!
Cool I was speaking shyriiwook in the Pigs vox earlier maybe you could have helped translate.
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »
You must also be able to do a perfect Christian Bale Batman voice and apply different quotes from Top Gun and Iron Eagle to various in game situations.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »
You must also be able to do a perfect Christian Bale Batman voice and apply different quotes from Top Gun and Iron Eagle to various in game situations.
well that rules me out(not that I would leave the Pigs) I only do the Michael Keaton batman voice.
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Iamtheknight

• Zinc Member
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2014, 09:44:38 AM »
Kevin Conroy>Christian Bale, Michael Keaton, and all other Bats put together  :D

Offline Iamtheknight

• Zinc Member
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2014, 09:47:19 AM »
Except Adam West. Adam is da man!

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2014, 09:52:32 AM »
Oh and one last thing:

You must continually strive to be a better pilot, using any aids available to you, putting in some time in the DA perfecting your craft, practice your wingman tactics and enjoy communication, have the utmost trust in your squadmates, value efficiency and teamwork. Be able to give/take constructive criticism.

Lastly, not giving a damn about the outside noise/hate from outside the squad. :)

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »
Somebody must be at work I see none of The Dammed in the MA right now
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2014, 10:09:19 AM »
Somebody must be at work I see none of The Dammed in the MA right now

We do have day jobs :P We're usually on most weekdays from 8PM CST to 12:00AM CST. Weekends, we're on and off throughout the day.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."