Author Topic: HO, front-quarter, or simply poor SA?  (Read 10124 times)

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
HO, front-quarter, or simply poor SA?
« on: June 29, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
Accusations of "h2h," "HO," "skillless," and such ensued after shooting down the encountered aircraft, so I thought I'd consult the intelligible masses here. What would the majority of you consider this shot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCiFRJqJ8KU

Consider:

1. The target clearly had no guns solution
2. The target clearly had time to maneuver out of plane
3. The shot was made from 215-225* deflection (i.e. 35-45* from head-on), making it impossible to be an actual head-on, h2h, etc. type of shot by definition.

What say you?
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: HO, front-quarter, or simply poor SA?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »
Flanking into Beaming aspect.

I also say you come into the BBS way too much with these types of films; once a month I would recommend. Try a compilation of semi controversial shots and do 10-20 at a time.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »

What say you?

By the book definition of a head on it clearly was not a HO.

But a cheap and boring way to play. Nothing else in the sky. Perfect chance for a real fight. It would have made an interesting fight if you had taken the offered cold merge, although I expect you knew you would end up running home, tail between legs vs a decent ki84 stick because you perhaps don't practice ACMs, you perhaps just practice high speed deflection shooting.

This was a waste of time shot to take. That's how I see the game anyway. I'm sure for you it's only about getting kills credited to your score card, in which case, go right ahead and play that way. Everyone enjoys different ways of playing and some have much lower standards of respect than others.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 02:58:56 PM »

Thought so. Thank you for confirming it.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »
Reminds me of a guy saying I HOed him when all of my rounds hit his belly and side  :rofl

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 03:31:37 PM »
What say you?

While I quite enjoy some of your films, I find your increasingly transparent underlying motivation a little disturbing. Not being able to just do your thing without turning every criticism or ideological difference into a long-term grudge or soap opera rather smacks of a very deep insecurity. It's becoming apparent your primary purpose here isn't to fly, it's just a means to another objective.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »
HO no...but a cheap shot for sure. If the enemy plane can easily get to HO then might as well pass up on the shot and let the fight carry on.

I don't take these shots even when I'm being ganged because you ruin another players in game experience doing it.(They have to re up and fly back to flight when maybe they only have an hour or so to play)

Your good enough in that dora to make that a fun fight.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »

But a cheap and boring way to play. Nothing else in the sky. Perfect chance for a real fight. It would have made an interesting fight if you had taken the offered cold merge, although I expect you knew you would end up running home, tail between legs vs a decent ki84 stick because you perhaps don't practice ACMs, you perhaps just practice high speed deflection shooting.

This was a waste of time shot to take. That's how I see the game anyway. I'm sure for you it's only about getting kills credited to your score card, in which case, go right ahead and play that way. Everyone enjoys different ways of playing and some have much lower standards of respect than others.

Personally I'd say it was a HO because you didn't maneuver for a fight, but I'll ease up and just say I agree with mechanic's statement. 

HO no...but a cheap shot for sure. If the enemy plane can easily get to HO then might as well pass up on the shot and let the fight carry on.

I don't take these shots even when I'm being ganged because you ruin another players in game experience doing it.(They have to re up and fly back to flight when maybe they only have an hour or so to play)

Your good enough in that dora to make that a fun fight.

Maybe not, he does seem to post a lot of "HO" films.

.....oh and by the way, H2H usually means two players fighting head to head, a HO is not a fight.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »
Reminds me of a guy saying I HOed him when all of my rounds hit his belly and side  :rofl

HO no

I agree with mechanic's statement. 

Perfect. Thank you!
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »
Entirely the Ki84 pilots' fault I'd say. If I got shot this way, I'd definitely call it my own fault. But then again I do that anytime I get shot in any manner whatsoever. :old: He didn't move at all on the merge, almost looks like he was AFK. With any kind of defensive jink, the Ki would have won angles. I also think it perfectly reasonable for a heavily armed but relatively un-maneuverable plane to take whatever shots it can get on an uber dogfighter like the Ki. I would have taken this shot. It is a multiple bandit arena, after all, and one often needs to put them down as quickly as possible. If the Ki had turned nose on or done anything effective really to make taking the shot a bad idea I would have done something else.

BTW, FWIW old friend I've been dueling Skyyr fairly often these last few months, and he wins at least half the time I'd say. You and I also did some dueling back in the day, and I have advanced some since that time. I leave you to draw your own conclusions from that.

Haven't seen in the game since I came back btw. I'd love to fly with or against you again sometime.  :salute

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »
I'm sure for you it's only about getting kills credited to your score card

I would consider that an axiom for 90% of the roster.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »

BTW, FWIW old friend I've been dueling Skyyr fairly often these last few months, and he wins at least half the time I'd say. You and I also did some dueling back in the day, and I have advanced some since that time. I leave you to draw your own conclusions from that.

Haven't seen in the game since I came back btw. I'd love to fly with or against you again sometime.  :salute

Perhaps you're right, I have not encountered Skyr in the game yet. I think my response was heavily influenced by the transparency Shida noted.

I've been up and about a bit lately, even logged some time in the MA this month. Lets go do some duels some time mate
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:35:27 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline ARSNishi

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 08:22:52 PM »
Accusations of "h2h," "HO," "skillless," and such ensued after shooting down the encountered aircraft, so I thought I'd consult the intelligible masses here. What would the majority of you consider this shot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCiFRJqJ8KU

Consider:

1. The target clearly had no guns solution
2. The target clearly had time to maneuver out of plane
3. The shot was made from 215-225* deflection (i.e. 35-45* from head-on), making it impossible to be an actual head-on, h2h, etc. type of shot by definition.

What say you?
"what say I?"   The skyrr doth protest too much, methinks. .   
And now, the rest of the story......   with your premature "cut" you conveniently replaced what I really said with "accusations ensued"
Being on the road at the moment I'll paraphrase myself..... but my reply was something to effect of "impressive h2h shooting skills displayed there"   That.....   degenerated into...... this.    Not much more was said by me other than I was perfectly fine with what the film would show.....   I still am.   Granted there was a twinge of sarcasm in my initial reply but I stand by my characterization of what had just happened.   Truth is, Junky almost had it right. While I wasnt exactly AFK....  I was guilty of the cardinal sin of texting and flying (she's worth even the humiliation of giving skyrr a free, easy, straight and level flying, h2h kill)   
Skyrr had already witnessed several times earlier in the day that I, when at the controls had proven quite adept at avoiding countless attempts at "deflection front quarter shooting"...... not a single instance did I attempt to return the same "deflection" crap..... because I like batfink think its cheap.   But by all means, protest away.... keep showing off your prowess at "front quarter deflection shots" on straight and level flying planes.....  Im sure vraciu's adoration will soon escalate to worship.

Skyrock's "skilless" quote was his conclusion after you two's DA session.  :)
I actually think that your "front quarter deflection shooting" is a skill..... just one that I learned and for the most part abandoned a long time ago.

Good day.

Fighter Ace vet lured to the dark side, a.k.a..  -AoM-  Fear the Mighty Mitsubishi Mounted Muppet!

Nishizwa in game, Nish or Nishi will work too

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 01:41:53 AM »
Skyyr, why do you keep asking for approvals for front quarter shots? It is entirely up to you to decide if you want to take them or not and you do not need anyone's written approval for that. Most of the open HO "accusations" are a result of a hurt over-inflated ego, or someones disappointment that he was robbed of an easy kill on you because he got shot in the face before pulling a lead turn on you in a more maneuverable plane with more E. Grow a thicker skin and laugh about it.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 02:14:05 AM »
Skyyr, why do you keep asking for approvals for front quarter shots?

He's not. It's a very simple rule № 4 workaround.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234