Author Topic: Tie forum access to subscription status  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: Tie forum access to subscription status
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2014, 10:30:48 PM »
I always thought that HTC should make it mandatory for new subscribers to the game to also be asked to sign up to the ah bbs, and make at least one post saying "hello, I've just joined AH!", or smething to that effect... That way the newer subscribers don't take 1 to 2 years to finally stumble across the forums...

TC

This needs it's own wish, it is worthy!

:D

I don't think excluding anyone out of commenting on the boards would be a good thing. There have been some ex-players who have good input and perspective. Shoving them into a few select areas does no good, and would be another turn off for them. Maybe they left because of something in the game, well now they can't say it.  Sure, they could post in the squadron forum. But if it's pertaining to a wish, then why make another topic/main post in another forum, when you could just have that person respond to it in the correct forum? 

This just opens a can of worms for Skuzzy to deal with. While I understand where you are coming from, you are trying to fix something that really isn't broken. Opinions are opinions, who they come from is irrelevant, they are still - at the core - an opinion. If you don't agree with it, irregardless who it came from, just ignore it and move on.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:36:28 PM by Tinkles »
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2014, 12:53:54 AM »
I always thought that HTC should make it mandatory for new subscribers to the game to also be asked to sign up to the ah bbs, and make at least one post saying hello

Yes, let's throw them to the dogs to toughen their skin first.

I have fought him in the MA, DA and have yet to see him "run" as so many players keep claiming...

I dueled him during what he stated was his first week in game. He ran me out of gas half the time and HO'ed me at least once that I recall.

nor have I seen him run while winging with our squaddies flying any where from 3 to 8 online flying together...

Running with wingmen would be quite impressive. Running to wingmen is slightly less so.

I'm not going to debate flying styles but perhaps I should clarify my definition of runner. If you primarily fly the fastest and best climbing a/c in game and rarely or never "turn" fight even versus similar or identical a/c, you're a runner. Just because you run in the vertical, doesn't mean you're not running.

I don't knock most people for how they fly but I have seen descriptions of his boasting and some of his comments on the forum. Taken together with my experience with him, I have a crystal clear picture of the kind he is.

The tone of this thread became generally negative and resulted in at least one attack on the character of the OP.  All posters, active or not, in agreement or not, have the responsibility to treat the OP and his idea with respect.   

The OP was an attack on unsubscribed players,
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2014, 01:43:39 AM »
Heya muzik,
Yeah, I backed off of my first suggestion a bit, saying that it was too demanding... after i had read back over what I had typed...

I want to put this in such a way as to not sound as if I'm rushing to skyyr's defense...
He in my eyes is still considered "new" to AH... and I can only judge the fights that I have had against him or have watched from the edge of some of his engagements...

I have seen a lot of the comments and claims, and my personal relationship with you in this game and on the boards have always been straight and good from my best recollections...

I can only say at this time is that I have seen skyyr constantly improve on his flying/fighting ability in the game... That is what I meant with my earlier post , that we all were new once, in any game we played... That was why I asked to give him a break...  It was not based on any other things he might possibly had done earlier on ...

<§>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2014, 02:02:30 AM »

Right!  Because the words of vets who've played with this community since AW days (or less) and who, in game, actually have the skill to take any kind of fight aren't as worthy as a current 6 month vet whose primary tactic is running by all accounts.

the problem is that your so called vets are mostly guys that have been around for a couple of months and think they know everything there is to know abut the game.  or some guys who havent played in years and complaint about something they havent experienced recently.

and to be honest if the game bothers them so much as to want to quit, then let them go.  really if you gonna quit, then quit.  go away, this game that you say is going down hill then leave go play warthunder or world of crap planes.

if you arent happy then you arent happy. go away, aloha, sayonara, goodbye, adios...

I divorced my ex-wife because i didnt want to be with her.  you dont see me hanging around her thinking she will change to something I like do ya?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2014, 01:55:01 PM »
Heya muzik,
Yeah, I backed off of my first suggestion a bit, saying that it was too demanding... after i had read back over what I had typed...

It happens.  It would be a good idea if there were more discipline on the boards.

I want to put this in such a way as to not sound as if I'm rushing to skyyr's defense...
He in my eyes is still considered "new" to AH... and I can only judge the fights that I have had against him or have watched from the edge of some of his engagements...

I have seen a lot of the comments and claims, and my personal relationship with you in this game and on the boards have always been straight and good from my best recollections...

I can only say at this time is that I have seen skyyr constantly improve on his flying/fighting ability in the game... That is what I meant with my earlier post , that we all were new once, in any game we played... That was why I asked to give him a break...  It was not based on any other things he might possibly had done earlier on ...

<§>

TC

Understood.

<<S>>
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »
the problem is that your so called vets are mostly guys that have been around for a couple of months and think they know everything there is to know abut the game.  or some guys who havent played in years and complaint about something they havent experienced recently.

and to be honest if the game bothers them so much as to want to quit, then let them go.  really if you gonna quit, then quit.  go away, this game that you say is going down hill then leave go play warthunder or world of crap planes.

if you arent happy then you arent happy. go away, aloha, sayonara, goodbye, adios...

I divorced my ex-wife because i didnt want to be with her.  you dont see me hanging around her thinking she will change to something I like do ya?

semp

Nobody calls a two month'er a vet that I am aware of and as far as I know, no-one who plays this game and quits after two months, stays around talking about it on the boards. The ones that do, developed a long standing connection to the players and spent years playing the game.

Your wife analogy is ridiculously unfitting.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 04:09:50 PM »

Nobody calls a two month'er a vet that I am aware of and as far as I know, no-one who plays this game and quits after two months, stays around talking about it on the boards. The ones that do, developed a long standing connection to the players and spent years playing the game.

Your wife analogy is ridiculously unfitting.

This is the best response yet, I can only name one person who stuck around on the board that didn't even have 500 kills total, other then that everyone else I've seen flew many tours. Fact of the matter is; I don't see whats the deal between someoen with a subscription and someone with out.
Aces High is a public game, its not a fraternity - you develop friendships in game and stick around; me for example - I am not subscribed for a few reasons which are personal - it has nothing to do with the game itself; I just have no time to pay $15 and fly one or two sorties per month.

Fact is I am just waiting for work to slow down simply so I can fly again, after all I didn't buy a pair of thrustmaster warthogs just to read the bulletin board and spam all day; I'd much rather be flying.
JG 52

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »
There are multiple people who do not pay the $15 a month subscription for MA access, yet contribute lots of valuable information to these forums.  They can download and play the game all they want with the blowup doll sitting across their room.  No harm done.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2014, 05:12:44 PM »
I can only name one person who stuck around on the board that didn't even have 500 kills total

I would suspect someone like that is a shade.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2014, 07:31:18 PM »

An off-the-mark recommendation is not an attack.  An attack begins with "Jane, you ignorant slut..."

;)
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
dbl post
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:18:13 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 28-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »

I'm not sure how you're defining the word "attack," but to call it such signifies great ignorance of what an attack actually is. An "attack," to be such and therefore be valid, would have to commit either an ad-hominem fallacy (attacking the person instead of the topic), or it would have to start off with a personal attack ("You moron," "You idiot," etc.).

The OP was not an attack, it was simply a suggestion. This book might be of help to you.

Just because you run in the vertical, doesn't mean you're not running.

Spoken from the position of someone who understands very little about ACM (and completely contradicting Robert Shaw at the same time). I would suggest this book, specifically Chapter 4 (One-versus-One Maneuvering, Dissimilar Aircraft [in particular, section 1: Low Wing Loading versus High Thrust-to-Weight).

That said, the reasoning behind my suggestion was very straightforward. Opinions are not created equal, and at the core, paying customers' opinions almost always outweigh the opinions of those not paying for service.

If a player, who isn't paying, comes to the forum and complains about the game, what good is his opinion? He's not paying (and therefore playing) it to begin with. However, now he and everyone else (including prospective, potentially new players) see that opinion and it affects their interactions to a degree, as all communications do.

By the same taken, if a player who is paying comes to the forum and complains, his opinion has, at the very least, the weight of a $14.99 subscription behind it. To ignore his feedback and opinion, again - at the least - means potentially throwing away in the income of $14.99 per month.

And this is not unusual - almost every single, major pay-to-play game on the internet has forum access tied to subscriptions. Why? Because it works. Otherwise, you can have any number of people come in and complain about the game. Similarly, forum users who stay with the community simply for the forum are still enjoying the benefits of the game (after all, the forum would not exist if it were not for the game), so why should they be allowed to access for free hat others are essentially paying for to keep alive (if all paying subscribers quit, then the forums would cease to exist as the game would cease to exist).

Regardless of how much fun and community are built around the forum, it is a forum built for a business. Requiring a subscription to access the forum ensures that everyone is paying to access the game and its materials, even if its just the forum. And to top it all off, this isn't some radical idea - this is industry standard. It would also benefit HTC and generate more revenue for future game development.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:45:58 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »
dbl post

Deadstik always brings up Shaw's, how applicable is it to prop aircraft rather than those fancy jets?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2014, 08:39:55 PM »
A lot of ex-players continue to post on numerous boards here, complaining about the game, criticizing, etc. I'd like to see forum access tied to active accounts. If a player wants to post, they need to have an active subscription. This ensures that everyone sharing their opinion, criticism, etc. of the game is actually paying towards it.

Perhaps create a single sub-forum for inactive account players to post in, that way they could check in with friends and previous squaddies.

I've played this game since 2001 and have since paid HTC well over $2,000 of my money. I just came back to the game from a few year break. before that I was paying my $16.03 every month and contributing to the community by making numerous skins. By your logic the day I suspended my account I should have been cut off from AH altogether. Even though while away from the game I continued to make skins and even picked up on making terrains and yes chimed in on the forum from time to time. So what you said was that because for a few years I was away from the game I should have been thrown out like yesterdays trash and all my payments to HTC and the work I put into the game just be forgotten? I don't know what you call it but I call that bad customer service. Big -1!
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2014, 08:40:58 PM »
Deadstik always brings up Shaw's, how applicable is it to prop aircraft rather than those fancy jets?

For BFM/ACM, as a broad generalization, it's typically more applicable to prop aircraft than jet aircraft. The reason is that historic ACM doctrine is tied to the balance of energy vs. angles - this itself is limited by the availability of thrust. Many modern fighters have excess thrust, so it's less of a balancing act (as traditional ACM is) and more of an optimized fight, trying to maintain specific speeds and weapon envelopes.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:18:41 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...