Author Topic: Tie forum access to subscription status  (Read 2626 times)

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: Tie forum access to subscription status
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 08:53:26 PM »
What post or posts provoked this wish? 
Controversiality?

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2014, 09:10:01 PM »
A lot of ex-players continue to post on numerous boards here, complaining about the game, criticizing, etc. I'd like to see forum access tied to active accounts. If a player wants to post, they need to have an active subscription. This ensures that everyone sharing their opinion, criticism, etc. of the game is actually paying towards it.

Perhaps create a single sub-forum for inactive account players to post in, that way they could check in with friends and previous squaddies.

Right!  Because the words of vets who've played with this community since AW days (or less) and who, in game, actually have the skill to take any kind of fight aren't as worthy as a current 6 month vet whose primary tactic is running by all accounts.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2014, 09:16:09 PM »
How many bars do you go into, day after day, without dropping a dime or any intent of doing so? Most business owners would become fed up very quickly with such a practice.

As wise as the OP. For every non paying customer in a bar, there's going to be a half dozen friends sitting around BSing with him.   Bar owners LOVE people hanging out in their bars.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2014, 12:47:34 AM »
As someone who has taken year long breaks from the game(Afghanistan) and just recently for 8 months for personal reasons...big -1
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 01:00:48 AM »

Right!  Because the words of vets who've played with this community since AW days (or less) and who, in game, actually have the skill to take any kind of fight aren't as worthy as a current 6 month vet whose primary tactic is running by all accounts.

JG 52

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2014, 05:25:18 AM »

I always thought that HTC should make it mandatory for new subscribers to the game to also be asked to sign up to the ah bbs, and make at least one post saying "hello, I've just joined AH!", or smething to that effect... That way the newer subscribers don't take 1 to 2 years to finally stumble across the forums...

As for the constant accusations of skyyr's tactics being running for all accounts..

I have fought him in the MA, DA and have yet to see him "run" as so many players keep claiming...
nor have I seen him run while winging with our squaddies flying any where from 3 to 8 online flying together... All of us was new to any and every game we have ever played...

Give the fella a break...

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »
TC hits the nail on the head and it's not off-topic.

“Put your money where your mouth is” is simplistic.  It’s not wise to discount the experience of others on the basis of an active subscription. 

The community response on the boards in general can sometimes be caustic and serves only to stop others from imagining and innovating.  It’s a tone.  It’s cultural.  The situation in the Veterans Administration is an example.  The culture there is described as ‘corrosive’.

The tone of this thread became generally negative and resulted in at least one attack on the character of the OP.  All posters, active or not, in agreement or not, have the responsibility to treat the OP and his idea with respect.   That’s not a Skuzzy-Rule.  It’s the same guideline people use at school and at work.

The tone of this board is often sarcastic in regard to innovation.  With respect, the attitudes  of Skuzzy and HiTech have sometimes set that tone.  They become exasperated (and cranky) when we beat each other - and them - up for small changes in the face of much larger innovations to implement.  Ultimately the entire franchise belongs to HiTech Creations.  Ultimately, it’s their soap and their banana and they will wash it as fast as they want to.

Our community is small, and getting smaller.  I want more people participating here, not less.  Even if I don’t agree with the OP, I want him to keep thinking about how to make the game and the community more appealing to new players.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
The problem is that at some point, impasses will be reached. This means that either those that disagree step back and allow the others to lobby for something they feel would either be a waste or an active detriment. This is not a reasonable expectation, given how impassioned the community is. The other option is continuing to argue their case, which results in these fiascos.

Personally I think Skyyrr is a bit of an idiot with regard to his desires for the future of the game. I suspect I'm not alone. Combine this with his abrasive demeanor displayed so far, and it's little wonder that the results are as they are.

Now I believe everyone starts out deserving a certain level of respect. I also believe that one can forfeit that respect.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »

TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2014, 02:01:04 PM »

Simple: Players take breaks from this game and come back, sometimes even a year or two later (sometimes even more!). For a community that started in 1999 such breaks are still "short". Participation in forum discussions keep these players a part of the AH community and makes it much more likely that they return. Cut them off completely from the game and they are likely to forget about it.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »
Ive seen names in this thread that should be considered highest priority by AH to get back in the game when the new version comes out. Or even sooner. Even tho they arent currently playing many have skill sets that can aid the newer players very much. And to the point, I cant think of one of them who starts controversy on the board.

What could possibly be gained by banning them from the boards cause for whatever reason they cant, or wont, pay their $16 a month?

The fact they still drop by means they might come back and they are the players we need most of all. Theres going to be a lot of excitement when this new engine comes out. Making these veterans feel welcomed back should be a priority.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »

Simple: Players take breaks from this game and come back, sometimes even a year or two later (sometimes even more!). For a community that started in 1999 such breaks are still "short". Participation in forum discussions keep these players a part of the AH community and makes it much more likely that they return. Cut them off completely from the game and they are likely to forget about it.

well said, bozon!

I still think that at the time a new subscriber joins the game, they should at the very minimum be invited to also join the AcesHigh message boards... I posted earlier that maybe HTC should make it a requirement that all new subscribing players also be required to register and make at least one post...

That is actually a little to demanding... but a little description of what is available to the new player at the AH message boards and an invitation to come register and be a part of the AH community, might be a better approach...

Just a suggestion...

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »
I'd hate to think that I could be arbitrarily cut off from old friends and foes.  I come here when the constant drivel you can read anywhere else online makes my brain hurt.  Skuzzy has the ban stick for anybody who truly gets out of line and he's very very good and judicious about how he uses it.  I still promote the game in my daily life when I run across someone that has an interest in WWII aviation or gaming in general.  So I'd give this a -1 respectfully. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »
I still think that at the time a new subscriber joins the game, they should at the very minimum be invited to also join the AcesHigh message boards... I posted earlier that maybe HTC should make it a requirement that all new subscribing players also be required to register and make at least one post...

+1  :aok

LtngRydr
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »
I always thought that HTC should make it mandatory for new subscribers to the game to also be asked to sign up to the ah bbs, and make at least one post saying "hello, I've just joined AH!", or smething to that effect... That way the newer subscribers don't take 1 to 2 years to finally stumble across the forums...

As for the constant accusations of skyyr's tactics being running for all accounts..

I have fought him in the MA, DA and have yet to see him "run" as so many players keep claiming...
nor have I seen him run while winging with our squaddies flying any where from 3 to 8 online flying together... All of us was new to any and every game we have ever played...

Give the fella a break...

TC

Give him a break, really?  It was his wish...
It sounds to me that, in his eyes, he made a well thought out wish.  Just not too many people agreed.  I don't think he deserves a break over anyone else that gets
flamed-out on this wish forum.  Be it noob or vet.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear