Author Topic: Tie forum access to subscription status  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
Tie forum access to subscription status
« on: July 04, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »
A lot of ex-players continue to post on numerous boards here, complaining about the game, criticizing, etc. I'd like to see forum access tied to active accounts. If a player wants to post, they need to have an active subscription. This ensures that everyone sharing their opinion, criticism, etc. of the game is actually paying towards it.

Perhaps create a single sub-forum for inactive account players to post in, that way they could check in with friends and previous squaddies.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: Tie forum access to subscription status
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
If, say, Thndregg dropped by and told us the strat system sucked, I'd put more weigh in it than, say, Skyyrr thinking showing names with enemy icons is a good idea.

The one is a long time veteran in aces high, and highly respected by the bomber sub-community. The other would still be considered a noob if they hadn't jumped ship from FA.

Say Johnny Dumb*** makes an account. Why is his opinion more valid than long-time veterans that hit a rough spot in their lives?

Also, what happens if they stop paying? IIRC, their account gets deleted after a while. Does the BBS account go away? Do they get a new one with a new game account? MINNoWAR?

Seems kinda unnecessary, and perhaps even harmful.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »

I take breaks from this crippling addiction but I can't get off it cold turkey.   The forums are my methadone clinic
See Rule #4

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 12:11:41 PM »
I think people who aren't subscribed should be able to view the entire board, but only be allowed to post in the Help and Training and Squadron forums.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »
I think people who aren't subscribed should be able to view the entire board, but only be allowed to post in the Help and Training and Squadron forums.

+1
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

A few moments later...

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »
I don't like this idea one bit. Past players which ever way you try to cut it have paid their subscriptions and are entitled to post and stay part of the community they flew with. They left the game for reasons and it would be better for those reasons to be recorded and noted by HTC for them to get a better handle and knowledge of what is wrong and choose to improve that part if the game. By silencing them AcesHigh's problems which drove people to leave the game would never be heard, which would lead to stale development.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 12:27:03 PM »
I'd like to see forum access tied to active accounts. If a player wants to post, they need to have an active subscription. This ensures that everyone sharing their opinion, criticism, etc. of the game is actually paying towards it.

Don't do this to me, please.  ;)
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:54:40 PM »
A lot of ex-players continue to post on numerous boards here, complaining about the game, criticizing, etc. I'd like to see forum access tied to active accounts. If a player wants to post, they need to have an active subscription. This ensures that everyone sharing their opinion, criticism, etc. of the game is actually paying towards it.

Perhaps create a single sub-forum for inactive account players to post in, that way they could check in with friends and previous squaddies.

Just because you don't like some peoples opinions/post shouldn't be reason enough to close the BBS to them.

Either grow a pair or learn to use the "ignore" feature.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:12:40 PM »
At least restrict the deadbeats from using the Wishlist forum.  If you aren't paying, you have no business asking for stuff.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »
At least restrict the deadbeats from using the Wishlist forum.  If you aren't paying, you have no business asking for stuff.

deadbeats  :lol
Top Gun

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 01:19:26 PM »
Maybe make them have a title saying ex-member or something. I agree the amount of complaining by people who don't even play is a bit... strange.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »
Maybe make them have a title saying ex-member or something. I agree the amount of complaining by people who don't even play is a bit... strange.

Maybe they don't play BECAUSE of their complaints.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »
-1. This is one of the worse ideas Ive heard on this board. Im not insulting anyone, Im just saying what I think.

I used to play a game called WW2 On Line. Religiously I played it. I had a bad feeling about it and quit. What happened is they were bragging about getting GreenLit on Steam while also trying to get contributors to put $$ into a special contribution plan. Saying that once they reached their goal of "Hero Subscribers" they would upgrade the game and off we'd go. Well my wife was out of work for awhiles, I had heart problems, and something just didnt feel right and I quit it.

So they go past their stated goal of "contributions". The game was greenlit on Steam in Nov. 2013, and still isnt available on the Steam version. Now they are taking even more contributions under a new name https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wwii-online-client-update-stretch-goal

To make it all worse unless you are a paying member you cant get on their forum so there is no way to find out the state of this game, "tho Ive heard thru the grapevine its relatively unchanged and has a poor player base. Long time veterans who are thinking of returning are miffed that they cant get a sense of where the game is at and if any old friends are still playing. I think many would return even tho the graphics are even more dated then AH because the game model is very good.

And now you want AH to do the same? There have been times Ive quit AH for up to a year, visited the forum a few times, and the bug returned after hearing some of the stories from the members and the memories they brought back. We have heard from valued ex-players like Betty that the same might happen to, most of all when the new version comes out. Bringing back a player like that should be a top priority but ex'ing them out of the forum would be a terrible mistake and make it that much harder.

I have seen very few ex-players stir up bitter ruckuses here. They might have opinions but I dont read much ignorance from them and instead of trying to get rid of them maybe people should start listening to them more.

Either way allowing "pay only" into the forums would be a terrible mistake. It was for WW2OL and it would be for AH.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 02:19:50 PM »
You can still read the forums without an active subscription (as you can now without even being logged in). This would remain unchanged.

The only real complain people would have is that they couldn't post, but we could easily give them their own sub-forum to post in. They could easily post and interact with staff or other members posting in that sub-forum.

So really, the only complaint is that you simply couldn't go into every forum and post (but you could read), but that is the entire intent behind this request. Barring monetary circumstances, if you like the game enough to post on its forums, you should be paying your dues for access.

-1. This is one of the worse ideas Ive heard on this board. Im not insulting anyone, Im just saying what I think.

I used to play a game called WW2 On Line. Religiously I played it. I had a bad feeling about it and quit. What happened is they were bragging about getting GreenLit on Steam while also trying to get contributors to put $$ into a special contribution plan. Saying that once they reached their goal of "Hero Subscribers" they would upgrade the game and off we'd go. Well my wife was out of work for awhiles, I had heart problems, and something just didnt feel right and I quit it.

So they go past their stated goal of "contributions". The game was greenlit on Steam in Nov. 2013, and still isnt available on the Steam version. Now they are taking even more contributions under a new name https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wwii-online-client-update-stretch-goal

To make it all worse unless you are a paying member you cant get on their forum so there is no way to find out the state of this game, "tho Ive heard thru the grapevine its relatively unchanged and has a poor player base. Long time veterans who are thinking of returning are miffed that they cant get a sense of where the game is at and if any old friends are still playing. I think many would return even tho the graphics are even more dated then AH because the game model is very good.

And now you want AH to do the same? There have been times Ive quit AH for up to a year, visited the forum a few times, and the bug returned after hearing some of the stories from the members and the memories they brought back. We have heard from valued ex-players like Betty that the same might happen to, most of all when the new version comes out. Bringing back a player like that should be a top priority but ex'ing them out of the forum would be a terrible mistake and make it that much harder.

I have seen very few ex-players stir up bitter ruckuses here. They might have opinions but I dont read much ignorance from them and instead of trying to get rid of them maybe people should start listening to them more.

Either way allowing "pay only" into the forums would be a terrible mistake. It was for WW2OL and it would be for AH.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

A few moments later...

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »
Maybe they don't play BECAUSE of their complaints.

Then that is up to them. No need to further spam the boards with complaining if its not even from people who currently play the game.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech