Author Topic: Tie forum access to subscription status  (Read 2935 times)

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: Tie forum access to subscription status
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »
Then that is up to them. No need to further spam the boards with complaining if its not even from people who currently play the game.

That doesn't follow. People that are still playing can only guess at the causes for decreased player base. Those that quit know why they quit, and thus their input is actually more valuable than anyone's upto and including Hitech's.

If we could get everyone that ever left the game to post on the forum, it would provide invaluable insight into how to improve the game and increase player base.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 02:44:21 PM »
The only real complain people would have is that they couldn't post,

Again... please don't.

Prospective subscribers and former subscribers need to be able to express opinions and share ideas regardless. This forum needs to be as open as it can be in order for the company to broaden its customer base. This is not one of those areas where it would be beneficial to impose limits on exchanging information.

I played AH for around 10 years before I hung it up due to a myriad of circumstances. I still enjoy being able to freely post opinions, connect with my friends in this community, make suggestions,... the list goes on... because its open, just like your favorite bar.  :cheers:

For prospective subscribers, they need the ability to gather as much information as possible before deciding to subscribe. Even though this BBS is full of about everything one would want to know about the game, there are those oddball questions that come up that is best answered by the community at large. To channel a new guy into a forum dedicated to people not subscribed to the game and bar them from actually connecting to the larger community would go against the grain of what this game and company represent.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
because its open, just like your favorite bar.  :cheers:

How many bars do you go into, day after day, without dropping a dime or any intent of doing so? Most business owners would become fed up very quickly with such a practice.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
A lot of ex-players continue to post on numerous boards here, complaining about the game, criticizing, etc. I'd like to see forum access tied to active accounts. If a player wants to post, they need to have an active subscription. This ensures that everyone sharing their opinion, criticism, etc. of the game is actually paying towards it.

Perhaps create a single sub-forum for inactive account players to post in, that way they could check in with friends and previous squaddies.
-1 to your wish.  I'm glad I have the option to do that, even though I am not currently subscribed. 
As a former AH subscriber, I enjoy attending these sessions on the BBs.  I still play the game offline and believe it or not, I may just have an opinion or two on something about the game that may contribute in some way.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 04:20:13 PM »
That doesn't follow. People that are still playing can only guess at the causes for decreased player base. Those that quit know why they quit, and thus their input is actually more valuable than anyone's upto and including Hitech's.

If we could get everyone that ever left the game to post on the forum, it would provide invaluable insight into how to improve the game and increase player base.

Please go read the posts that some ex members make and tell me again how valuable their input is.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »
Please go read the posts that some ex members make and tell me again how valuable their input is.

Still more valuable than what you've said so far.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
Then that is up to them. No need to further spam the boards with complaining if its not even from people who currently play the game.

I am not a current subscriber and you don't see me spamming the boards, so by your eyes we just "Ban" everyone that doesn't pay? nope not going to happen, skuzzy mentioned 8 years ago that if you want an active subscription forum, then make your own and invite active players.

Thus being said, I belong to two active and 3 non-active groups - so wish is technically granted.
JG 52

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 05:16:42 PM »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline quig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 05:23:52 PM »
For the original poster of a Wishlist thread, there should be a link titled, "Vote Off". This could be between the Date Registered/Location and Post Count on their 'mini-profile' under their avatar.

If, say, 15 (or 30, or 10% or whatever) other people click the 'Vote Off' link, the poster should be barred from posting anymore in the Wishlist section for 1 month (voted off the *&(#ing island).

This would help fix the current state of the Wishlist section a whole lot more than limiting access for other reasons ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 05:26:23 PM by quig »

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »
How many bars do you go into, day after day, without dropping a dime or any intent of doing so? Most business owners would become fed up very quickly with such a practice.

Yeah... poor analogy. You got me there. However, my bandmates and I play in a lot of them, get paid and get free beer.  :D
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »
Yeah... poor analogy. You got me there. However, my bandmates and I play in a lot of them, get paid and get free beer.  :D

No worries. Bars have limited seating. The forum has room.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 06:34:10 PM »

You are concerned about the complainers.  For what it's worth, there are any number of folks who contribute to the AH community via the forums who aren't playing, whether it be via history discussions, or helping with information on skins or just keeping in contact with folks they've known via the game over the years.

You want to kill a mosquito with a sledgehammer,  killing the mosquito while doing potentially all kinds of unintended damage.

Not a very good way to go about it.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »
Just remove forum acces from everyone. That way all problems are solved for good.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 07:48:06 PM »
Just remove forum acces from everyone. That way all problems are solved for good.

:aok
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »
What post or posts provoked this wish?  I haven't exactly seen a rash of bad posts from former players.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-