Author Topic: Review the Yak-3 damage model.  (Read 1589 times)

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
Re: Review the Yak-3 damage model.
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2014, 04:18:43 AM »
Can the yak really climb at 100mph without stalling or is bozon exagerating?
[/quote

I was able to get it to climb at 3750 at around 100 mph. Starting at 1000 feet altitude, pulled back on the stick to get 4k climb rate and held it until climb dropped to 100 mph. if left on Auto climb it will stall at around 100 mph.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2014, 05:28:36 AM »
Well that's just zoom climbing until it stalls, one can do that in any plane. It does climb like a rocket though, with .speed settings it wouldn't maintain any climb at even 120mph. At 100mph I couldn't get it to maintain level flight, let alone climb 3700fpm. I got it to take off at 100mph but once I got above WIG effect it stalled.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2014, 06:18:53 AM »
Ok several notes:

1. I get PW in Yak in about the same ratio (maybe little bit more) than other planes with bubble cockpit like Mustang or Dora (usually not from dead 6). In most of cases I die because of damage to the plane and not due to PW.
2. About "climbing" I tried this 100mph climb myth. No the plane does not climb at 100 mph it stalls and start falling. Of course initial climb when you for example take a plane from 120 to 100 would be high but than the plane would stall and you'll fall. I can't hold the Yak in steady climb at 100mph with high values.

Guys... everybody who complains about Yak-3 strengths I suggest fly it for a while - your complains would vanish.

It is an amazing plane but there is no magic, it breaks apart easily from short burst, it looses parts at overspeed with very little notification, it has pathetic loiter time (actually flying 100% thrust is a mistake, it is like flying on WEP all the time) and it has very short amount of ammo so you need to be a sharp shooter - no snapshots, it has a terrible glide ratio, it isn't fast and its high altitude performance is poor, and attacking B-17 is quite a suicide in Yak-3. Yet, Yak-3 is considered one of the best fighters of WW2.

It is agile, it has good power loading and hard to hit that is why in right hands it is very dangerous.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2014, 07:58:58 AM »
Yes, but not at the rate Bozon is saying. You'd be lucky to get even half of what he's saying.
2. About "climbing" I tried this 100mph climb myth. No the plane does not climb at 100 mph it stalls and start falling. Of course initial climb when you for example take a plane from 120 to 100 would be high but than the plane would stall and you'll fall. I can't hold the Yak in steady climb at 100mph with high values.
I did this multiple times. You have to input a lot of rudder to keep it from flipping, auto-climb trim will not do it. I remember this very vividly because I was shocked the first time I took it for a spin after the patch - it would flip, but not stall and drop the nose, so as long as you do not flip it keeps floating upwards.

I can try and produce a ahf film.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »
Since I don't know how to post an AH film outside of the forums and screenshots section, I started a new thread in that section with film of me doing Bozon's 100 mph climb to 10k.

Here is the topic: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,364359.0.html

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »
I didn't know planes could climb at that low of speed but I just tried it with the zeke, and lavochkin, they were able to do it also but they don't have the rate of climb of the yak. Also a flip is a stall, one wing always stalls first so that causes the roll. I notice it's actually easier to control in a climb at 100mph than it is trying to fly level at 100mph. My guess is that the wings are creating more lift at that increased AoA. But it is below stall speed and if you don't counter it, it will wing over.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2014, 05:33:24 PM »
I didn't know planes could climb at that low of speed but I just tried it with the zeke, and lavochkin, they were able to do it also but they don't have the rate of climb of the yak. Also a flip is a stall, one wing always stalls first so that causes the roll.
The flip is not necessarily a stall. In the case of the yak the ailerons simply cannot counter the engine torque below 100 mph and the airplane starts to roll, slowly. This is opposed to a snap roll when one wing stalls before the other.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
I did this multiple times. You have to input a lot of rudder to keep it from flipping, auto-climb trim will not do it. I remember this very vividly because I was shocked the first time I took it for a spin after the patch - it would flip, but not stall and drop the nose, so as long as you do not flip it keeps floating upwards.

I can try and produce a ahf film.

Sorry Bozon, but I'm gonna pull the "I wanna see the film" card on you.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »
Sorry Bozon, but I'm gonna pull the "I wanna see the film" card on you.

Since I don't know how to post an AH film outside of the forums and screenshots section, I started a new thread in that section with film of me doing Bozon's 100 mph climb to 10k.

Here is the topic: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,364359.0.html

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »
Oops, just saw that TJ. I zoomed in on your instrument panel and you never dropped below 3K/minute during that climb. Seeing is believing and I salute you and Bozon for bringing this matter to attention.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »
What do you think the climb rate should be at that speed?

Best climb speed up to 5k is over 4000 fpm with 100% fuel. Then it's over 3500 fpm until 10k.  Staying over 3000 fpm just shows you are climbing slower than your best climb.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »
What do you think the climb rate should be at that speed?

Best climb speed up to 5k is over 4000 fpm with 100% fuel. Then it's over 3500 fpm until 10k.  Staying over 3000 fpm just shows you are climbing slower than your best climb.

So far it seems that the barely controllable 100 mph climb is the actual best climb speed. At least climbing on default auto climb is slower, you arrive a few seconds later at 10k.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2014, 08:30:55 PM »
I saw that but the climb performance chart at 100 % fuel looks faster than your auto climb test.
So far TJ tested at 25 and 50% fuel.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »
I saw that but the climb performance chart at 100 % fuel looks faster than your auto climb test.
So far TJ tested at 25 and 50% fuel.

DOH!

Didn't realize he was using a weight so much different from that in the charts  :bhead
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »
Remember to trim both ailerons and rudder to facilitate climb in the Yak3
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera