Author Topic: New graphics  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: New graphics
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »

Oh, and another thing: gv icons can be hidden if they are parked under a tree. 

I was hiding under a tree with an M3 in a remote area.  A 190 found me in just a single, high pass.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »
I was hiding under a tree with an M3 in a remote area.  A 190 found me in just a single, high pass.

Define "single, high pass".

It isn't absolute.  Just because you're parked under a tree doesn't mean your icon is shut off.  There are angles that can be used.  Also, those of us with a decent enough graphics card, a trained or experienced eye, and patience can pick out a gv from a lot further out than icon range. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »
When I'm out in an IL2, the smallest part of the red icon gives away the best hid GV from a jeep to a TigerII. It's too easy to find stationary vehicles.

I still think a function that disables the icon once you hide your GV under a certain number of trees. Or push up against brush or hedge rows. Hide under bridges, or in barns, or at the base of the tower in town, would reduce some of the whining about being bomb victims. When GV don't bring along wirbels, I slaughter them in an IL2. It's too easy to find them. The Catch-22, is just as you find them you find their wirbel. Or Not.......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 10:10:40 PM »
back in the day when I could shoot 3-4k in a osti I would accept that challenge.

now a days I cant even hit a tank or a parked plane with an osti or wirb you would have fun blowing me away
I too remember those days. 

:salute LTARkilz
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 04:07:48 AM »
That is not true.

Tank is close to invisible until you fire your first shot (typically ambush), then smoke reveals you, and you will have to move after firing shot number 2, and bring down prepared arty when you move.
Its very easy for the tank commander and gunner to see through the camo, if made correctly.
Normally, the rear end of the position is open, so you can back out and go into next prepared defense further back, during that move you are very vulnerable, so it has to be done through woods or broken terrain.
That is why it is so important to fight on your own ground, you have about 5 prepared positions, and also have marker on trees so the whole platoon know what way to take you to next position, even in the dark.

I've always preferred this type of fighting,  just head to head pounding give you more than a head-ace.
Anti-tank mines where always more effective in slowing down enemy than you own tanks, unless you did it the Russian way (sacrifice tanks)

I'd love to see what happens when you fire a cannon from under a huge pile of straws. Sure, burying your tank underground also makes it invisible, but it also makes it blind, immobile, and unable to fire.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 02:51:10 PM »
That is not true.
The first part was referring to the tank under the pile of straw. The first shot will blow away half the straw and possibly ignite the other half :)
In the second I meant literally burying the tank. Exaggeration was intentional.

Normally, the rear end of the position is open, so you can back out and go into next prepared defense further back, during that move you are very vulnerable, so it has to be done through woods or broken terrain.
I've always preferred this type of fighting,  just head to head pounding give you more than a head-ace.
This cant always work. In some countries, if you back your tank a few meters too much you fall into the sea on the other side...  ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:54:35 PM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
We have more lakes than any other country in Europe, maybe except russia, that's why our tanks could float during the cold war (except centurion)   :rock

Even the S-tank did float, looked kinda funny when they did that though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fARGfVA7Mm8 last minutes show how they did this, I saw one accident when a bv-202 hit the bulges of the tank and it looked much like a huge whale when water entered the running engines  :banana:
-Caldera

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 08:37:05 PM »
I too remember those days. 

:salute LTARkilz

:salute old friend
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 08:03:16 AM »
We have more lakes than any other country in Europe,

Erm, nope! :D
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 08:18:07 AM »
Erm, nope! :D

Actually. Yes. Atleast if u define a lake in the same way in both sweden and Finland. Sweden has about 97.000 lakes bigger than 10000qsrm while Finland has around 56.000 lakes.
Problem is that the definition of a lake differs btw the countries. Finland use 500sqrm as the lower boundary while Sweden use 10000sqrm
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 11:33:27 AM »
:salute old friend

<S> LTarz...... Remember back when I used to switch countries to come ride wid ma homies......  That's what I used to call it.  It was a blast, there was a lot more  :lol shenanigans going on range than any structured attack as I recall.  Then again, I was told you were only using me as bait..... :rofl

This game truly lost out when the decision was made to disband (or whatever).  :(

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
What are the various ranges?  :confused:
600 stopped---1200 moving.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »
Actually. Yes. Atleast if u define a lake in the same way in both sweden and Finland. Sweden has about 97.000 lakes bigger than 10000qsrm while Finland has around 56.000 lakes.
Problem is that the definition of a lake differs btw the countries. Finland use 500sqrm as the lower boundary while Sweden use 10000sqrm

Lake is a lake. Especially considering the point which Save was making. a Tank will either sink or swim regardless whether the lake is 500sqm or 10000sqm, considering the average depth of a Scandinavian lake.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 03:27:59 PM »
Define "single, high pass".

It isn't absolute.  Just because you're parked under a tree doesn't mean your icon is shut off.  There are angles that can be used.  Also, those of us with a decent enough graphics card, a trained or experienced eye, and patience can pick out a gv from a lot further out than icon range. 
[/b]

Bingo.

Even with a crappy 256 card (on my old comp) I could still identify vehicles 2k away. Of course, I couldn't label what type of vehicle I was looking at, but I could at least tell there was a vehicle there.  As for icons, as SmokinLoon said, if you get a certain angle, that shows a gap between the trees, the icon appears. It's only when the icon is completely covered that you can be 'invisible'.
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2014, 07:06:30 PM »
it would swim better in larger lakes  :D
-Caldera