Author Topic: Real World AV tests  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Real World AV tests
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2014, 12:11:42 PM »
Not in that case, wouldn't make any difference though if/when the default speed produced errors.
Agreed, but you would have noticed the error sooner, before a seemingly successful install which turns out to have failed without notification.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 08:16:21 PM »
I used a usb stick.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 02:32:55 AM »
I used a usb stick.

semp

Then it's something you did during the setup. It's very easy to mess up linux if you follow the wrong instructions (just as it's easy to mess up Windows if you follow instructions of a newer/older version).
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 08:36:42 PM »
from a usb it installs by itself.  no questions asked.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 11:05:45 PM »
The last linux setup DVD I tried to burn with the built in burn tool in W7 using standard settings was faulty, IIRC you can't define burn speed in the built in tool.

So you're saying that for some reason Windows won't optimize the speed of an optical drive but instead runs it at some lower speed?  I really find this difficult to believe.  I get that a drive might have borked an OS installation without throwing up an error.  I've had that happen.  How can you be sure it was because Microsoft decided to run your burn speed at something other than max and why, as the Linux devotee you are, were you using Windows to begin with?

(just as it's easy to mess up Windows if you follow instructions of a newer/older version).

Really?  Every version of Window's I've installed gives on screen prompts from time to time.  It's really pretty hard to follow any other kind of instructions.  Care to elaborate on where one might mess up the Windows installation by following the "wrong instructions"?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 11:18:27 PM »
So you're saying that for some reason Windows won't optimize the speed of an optical drive but instead runs it at some lower speed?  I really find this difficult to believe.  I get that a drive might have borked an OS installation without throwing up an error.  I've had that happen.  How can you be sure it was because Microsoft decided to run your burn speed at something other than max and why, as the Linux devotee you are, were you using Windows to begin with?

Really?  Every version of Window's I've installed gives on screen prompts from time to time.  It's really pretty hard to follow any other kind of instructions.  Care to elaborate on where one might mess up the Windows installation by following the "wrong instructions"?

Why feed into it BE?  I have NEVER heard of ANYONE having an ODD burn something at other than the speed that was selected (hardware issues are the fault of the OS).   I've never had a virus on any of my PC's.   I've never had a botched OS install that was the fault of Windows (back in 2008 I had a bad sector on my HDD that prevented XP Pro SP2 from installing). 

I keep hearing that my PSU is inferior and never should have been used in my build, even though it is rock solid.   This section sadly has turned into "opinions should be taken as gospel".
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 12:59:26 AM »

Reading comprehension please. I said the media should be burned at _slower_ speed not at max speed to avoid errors, naturally. The built in burner burns automatically at max. Also the setup errors I was talking about were obviously not the OS setup itself but various tweaking guides found on the internet which help you to get proprietary codecs, Microsoft fonts etc. working on your linux installation. Those can mess your linux up good if you follow the instructions of a wrong distro or even the wrong version of your current distro. Just as you can mess up windows by trying to tweak Win8 using instructions of WinXP.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 01:03:56 AM »
from a usb it installs by itself.  no questions asked.

semp

Semp, I have installed personally about 20 different linux distributions on literally hundreds of different occasions and setups and my experience is totally opposite to yours. You either have some problematic hardware or something you did during the process messed the install up.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 01:23:29 AM »
This section sadly has turned into "opinions should be taken as gospel".

The internet is fully of google-experts. You soon learn to get over them :)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 03:29:04 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:11:37 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
This thread is no longer viable.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com