Author Topic: Real World AV tests  (Read 2194 times)

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
Real World AV tests
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:17:47 AM »
I just saw this on another site and was generally surprised at the out come..

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/security-software/325583-real-world-antivirus-protection-test-winners-and-losers

So does anyone want to run MS Essentials as their only AV software??

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Real World AV tests
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:41:35 AM »
Nice find.

I'd like to point out some aspects, though:
  • Antivirus programs change rapidly, a test only tells the situation of the shortish testing period. Instead of some months a year of testing would give a better picture of this kind of a product. Four months is better than one run, though.
  • Although programs like MSE get a poor rating in a test, it may still protect you well enough. As the people of Microsoft say, their goal is to protect from the worst nasties instead of winning tests. Most of the security sits between the backrest and the keyboard anyway.
  • Some high ranked AV programs may do more harm to computing than a bunch of less critical viruses!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »
Why isn't Norton on the list?
I kid, I kid.  :lol

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:14:07 PM »
MSE has always been rubbish.

Also note these are mostly consumer versions, so that's why you don't see Symantec in there (nor McAfee enterprise which I'd rate highly vs their consumer product).

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:36:28 PM »
I have used MSE exclusively on all my machines (5) since it was released and have had 0 problems to date on any machine. People need to be smarter when browsing and not just rely on AV software to keep them safe. I will continue to run MSE on all of my machines despite that little chart.  :cheers:

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:13:23 AM »
People need to be smarter when browsing and not just rely on AV software to keep them safe.

Thinking smarter browsing is going to keep virus's and malware away is just stupid. Infections come from sites considered 'safe'.

Just because MSE says you don't have a virus ... doesn't actually mean it is true.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:34:52 AM »
Thinking smarter browsing is going to keep virus's and malware away is just stupid. Infections come from sites considered 'safe'.

Just because MSE says you don't have a virus ... doesn't actually mean it is true.

just because any av says you don't have a virus doesn't actually mean is true.

Oh man too many double negatives.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 01:19:32 AM »
I use windows only to play games, all the rest is done either on linux or OSX. Much safer that way.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 08:09:51 AM »

relax there buddy, I never said smarter browsing will keep viruses and malware away. I am merely saying it helps. You are never completely safe regardless of what AV you use. I'm willing to continue doing what I do on my machines without worry though. It's worked for me all these years so far.  :aok

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »
I am happy with ESET Smart Security 7.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »
relax there buddy, I never said smarter browsing will keep viruses and malware away. I am merely saying it helps. You are never completely safe regardless of what AV you use. I'm willing to continue doing what I do on my machines without worry though. It's worked for me all these years so far.  :aok

If you use Windows, in its default configuration, your computer is wide open for virtually anything, regardless of your browsing habits.

Yes, smart browsing is also needed, but as long as the delivery mechanisms are left open in Windows, there is nothing smart browsing will do to help prevent your computer from being infected.

If it works for you, great, but it is more luck and anything else if you allow Windows to be run in its default configuration.

I am only saying this to make sure anyone reading this does not assume using safe browsing habits, as the only line of defense, will protect your computer from bad things.  It will not.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 06:32:48 AM »
If you use Windows, in its default configuration, your computer is wide open for virtually anything, regardless of your browsing habits.

Yes, smart browsing is also needed, but as long as the delivery mechanisms are left open in Windows, there is nothing smart browsing will do to help prevent your computer from being infected.

If it works for you, great, but it is more luck and anything else if you allow Windows to be run in its default configuration.

I am only saying this to make sure anyone reading this does not assume using safe browsing habits, as the only line of defense, will protect your computer from bad things.  It will not.

My browsing habbit is 100% safe against all windows viruses. I don't browse with Windows.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »
Although programs like MSE get a poor rating in a test, it may still protect you well enough. As the people of Microsoft say, their goal is to protect from the worst nasties instead of winning tests. Most of the security sits between the backrest and the keyboard anyway

"PEBKAC"

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair   ;)

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
Re PEBKAC: have there not been cases where the servers of well known "safe" web pages, or "safe" adv delivery pages, have been compromised by malware to deliver other malware to unsuspecting viewers of those "safe" web pages?  How does the organism between the keyboard and the chair avoid that?  Not browse any web pages?  Browse with JavaScript off (which breaks virtually all web pages)?  Browse from Linux which gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling of invincibility because you think Linux has no viruses?

I can't remember where I read it, but I believe a group did a study of web pages and they found that the naughty bits of the Internet were actually delivering slightly less malware than the "safe" bits.  Here's another study re computer safety: a University group in England bought a bunch of unclaimed USB drives from the London Tube Lost and Found department.  They then checked them all.  Something like 60% were infected with malware, some of them by dozens of different malwares.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »
For a year or two, I used AV programs and things peddled by McAfee and Norton.

Sometime long ago, I stopped.

No AV at all.  I do use Ad Aware and Malwarebytes.

Once since 1997, has a computer become infected.