Author Topic: Get rid of .dt commands  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Get rid of .dt commands
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 01:12:11 PM »
I don't see .dt as gamey.  Information and planning aides yes.  In real life situations repair times would be known.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 01:20:39 PM »
 In real life situations repair times would be known.

Not at all. They would make (educated) guesses, but these had been spectacularly wrong at times, for all sides.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 01:38:06 PM »

Not at all. They would make (educated) guesses, but these had been spectacularly wrong at times, for all sides.

Admiral Nagumo... "Hey, we have plenty of time to rearm our planes for a strike on the American carriers... HANG ON, DO YOU HEAR SOMETHING???
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »
You know making since around here can get you shot right Cthulhu?   +1 :aok
Well, it does appear to be a rare commodity sometimes.  ;)
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 03:25:09 PM »
Maybe we could get a fog of war effect for the DT commands? Perhaps assign the HQ an additional point of usefulness and make it so if the HQ is destroyed DT commands either don't work, or are drastically inaccurate.

I don't mind the DT commands too much, I think it wouldn't hurt if they weren't spot on - to the second - on reconstruction times though.

Perhaps I am too attuned to such a luxury to give an adequate opinion on the matter. *shrug*
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
  If we do make a change, I would vote to have dt commands work for friendly fields, and not for enemy fields.  But we used to be able to guess at re-spawn time based on whether the hangar was on fire, or just smoking.  If we modify dt commands, we should get the fire and smoke effects back.

In other words, I can get an accurate read on how much longer I have to wait for a friendly hangar, or ordnance bunker, etc to re-spawn.  But for an enemy hangar, I can only estimate based on whether the first is burning hot, or spewing thick black smoke, or light smoke.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
If we modify dt commands, we should get the fire and smoke effects back.

They never had been changed.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 07:06:23 AM »

Of course repair times in real life were WAG.  The dt commands in AH simulation, simulates the WAG schedule repair but the game side of AH simplifies it into down to the second.  It is a game.   Have the DT be random and often wrong and watch this board light up.

Again -1

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 07:31:57 AM »
 Have the DT be random and often wrong and watch this board light up.

Again -1

I never supported the wish for randomness.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »

They never had been changed.

Are you sure?  It seems to me that fires stop smoking long before "5 minutes" remaining time when the downtime has been extended.  I guess I could test it, but I am lazy.  I will try and take a look at a strat up close the next time I have the opportunity.

Up to the second information has been helpful in determining how much time I decide to waste on a dying effort.  A 5 minute window was all we had before, and only on burning structures.  Down times on town buildings and popping AA guns was a bonus, especially since the premise for foiled captures is based on this "game" rule.

Let's not take anymore time talking about "game" rules.  Although my opinion seems to differ from the vocal majority,  I do respect their opinion. Also note, my typing speed may have given me an unfair advantage over some  ;)

{edit in failed attempt to look less g33kish- why doesn't my Klingon translator work here?}
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:19:47 PM by Chilli »

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »
I think the .dt commands are good for the countries.  It seems like there is far more involvement in trying to repair a town or bring ords back up at a base.  Those times vary so much depending on the strat damage and it allows players of the affected country to contribute to the war cause.  It gives the plummeted country (many times knights) a better chance of coming back into the battle, rather than giving up.  The commands allow a country to more effectively distribute it's resources.  Every player has the ability to use them, so there is no advantage one country has over the others.  I find that many players are too lazy or are unaware of the .dt commands.  I'm constantly asked: "how long is this or that down for?".  I use them a lot for my sorties to plan hitting strats, taking out ords, hangers, troops, etc. and even planning a base capture by looking at the gun and town building downtimes.  It adds more strategic planning possibilities.  Again, there is no advantage one player or country has over the others.  In war times, countries plan.
"One-Eye"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 01:44:40 PM »
Are you sure?  It seems to me that fires stop smoking long before "5 minutes" remaining time when the downtime has been extended. 

They misinterpreted the mechanism - the smoke was showing (and still is) for a fixed duration , but the downtimes for things like ords or radar were fix as well (unless manually resupplied).
Now we have variable downtimes for the objects because of the factories (sometimes up to 150 minutes), but the "smoking time" is still the same.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »
As a former admin, I used the dt commands exclusively to help setup bases and tweak the setup.  I couldn't imagine doing a setup without them... just saying...  :old:
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 01:47:22 PM »
As a former admin, I used the dt commands exclusively to help setup bases and tweak the setup.  I couldn't imagine doing a setup without them... just saying...  :old:

Perhaps they could be admin controls only?
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »
They misinterpreted the mechanism - the smoke was showing (and still is) for a fixed duration , but the downtimes for things like ords or radar were fix as well (unless manually resupplied).
Now we have variable downtimes for the objects because of the factories (sometimes up to 150 minutes), but the "smoking time" is still the same.

I believe this is what Mongose meant when he said "get back" the effect.  Actually, meaning to say get back the ability to effectively time repairs when an object stops smoking.

However, I never remember any difference in the color or thickness in smoke, other than when viewed from different distances.  This is where I believe he is mistaken (and you are correct "no change there").