Author Topic: Oculus Rift Dk2  (Read 7151 times)

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
Oculus Rift Dk2
« on: August 03, 2014, 07:34:41 PM »
They are shipping now but from what I have read, if hitech doesn't include in AH code, it will be a nice paper weight. The generic methods used on dk1 apparently do not work. Also has to be integrated for head tracking.

How about it Hitech? Any plans?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Oculus Rift Dk2
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:55:59 PM »
Not true. Drivers are being recompiled and updated. So the same methods to use the DK1 will work. Though it would be nice to have native support.

Not sure where you get your information from.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »
From oculus and p3d forums. Are you saying head tracking will work with only a recompile?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »
From oculus and p3d forums. Are you saying head tracking will work with only a recompile?

It does not say anything of the sort on the oculus forums.

The new headtracker requires use of the new SDK. So developers will need to recompile their apps with the new headtracking routines. There are some devs already using the tracking with games like DCS, but with 3DoF only. For 6DoF devs will have to add to their software to support it.

The SDK was only released a week or so ago, the first shipment of DK2's has only just arrived in peoples hands. So developers have had little time to update their software and drivers.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 08:54:51 PM »
I hope you are right!

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:07:50 PM »
Received the dk2 today. Vulcan have you received yours yet? Tried several things but nothing works so far. This may be above my pay grade?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:50:26 AM »
Received the dk2 today. Vulcan have you received yours yet? Tried several things but nothing works so far. This may be above my pay grade?

Nope, our region is lagging. It's in processing though. I'm not in any rush as the dev's need to update code, even the SDK for the DK2 is being polished still.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 03:43:31 AM »
Be sure to keep us updated on this!

WW2 flightsims in general and AH2 especially might be the perfect playground for the OR. Easy plane controls - easily HOTAS only. No need to read a plethora of gauges and MDF screens - eases the low resolution a bit. Immersion!

Kirin out
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 05:13:08 PM »
Whoa Kirin! Been a while.

Gauges are not an issue, I have zoom function mapped to a button. So I can look down and zoom in on gauges. With the new 6DoF stuff you can just lean forward too.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 03:58:50 AM »
Yeah - it's been a while Vulcan... :)

The dawn of a workable consumer VR device was one of the reasons to get back into simming. Got a friend who will get a DK2 soon - hoping to get a few testflights with it.

What is your experience concerning spotting. Out of the blue I'd say it's easier with VR since a moving object should be easily spottable vs. non moving background. It's less of an issue in the AH MA because of the icons but might be a world of difference in a non-icon enviroment.

Kirin out
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 06:25:48 AM »
Yeah - it's been a while Vulcan... :)

The dawn of a workable consumer VR device was one of the reasons to get back into simming. Got a friend who will get a DK2 soon - hoping to get a few testflights with it.

What is your experience concerning spotting. Out of the blue I'd say it's easier with VR since a moving object should be easily spottable vs. non moving background. It's less of an issue in the AH MA because of the icons but might be a world of difference in a non-icon enviroment.

Kirin out

On my Z800 (eMagin headset) with OLED's I found it hard. On the DK1 I found it easy. Something to do with the contrast of the z800 vs Dk1 I think. Situational Awareness goes through the roof especially in tight fights where you get a feel for relative motion from the stereo 3D.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:42:32 AM »
On my Z800 (eMagin headset) with OLED's I found it hard. On the DK1 I found it easy. Something to do with the contrast of the z800 vs Dk1 I think. Situational Awareness goes through the roof especially in tight fights where you get a feel for relative motion from the stereo 3D.

Doesn't it give you neck pain when you have to do the Linda Blair rear view physically instead of push button?  :rolleyes:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 05:40:33 AM »
Doesn't it give you neck pain when you have to do the Linda Blair rear view physically instead of push button?  :rolleyes:

I do that with TrackIR all the time - no prob at all - enchances immersion and SA tenfold. I admit with a true VR tracking you probably have to bend a bit further - but I guess that is configurable.
Real men fly Radial!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 05:49:14 AM »
I do that with TrackIR all the time - no prob at all - enchances immersion and SA tenfold. I admit with a true VR tracking you probably have to bend a bit further - but I guess that is configurable.

Let's see when the 'Rift neck' symptom is going to be prevalent.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
Let's see when the 'Rift neck' symptom is going to be prevalent.

The Rift DK2 will be the 4th VR headset I've used with Aces High since oh ~2005.

It's never been a problem before. As per my many previous posts you can scale the head tracking (same as on TrackIR).

I don't think "Rift neck" syndrome will be as prevalent as apple-bananas-cramp syndrome ;)