Author Topic: M3 Choice to pick GV Supply Ammo Loadout.  (Read 1290 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
M3 Choice to pick GV Supply Ammo Loadout.
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:59:57 AM »
Tonight I was in a wirbel at A5-A6. Tanks got up on the A6 mesa and ran into a problem. Everyone brought AP. They couldn't finish off the ack. And they were running low on ammo.

Wish: Allow the M3 driver to choose all AP boxes, all HE boxes or, 50\50. Then allow him to choose what he unloads as the tanker requests if it's 50\50.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
Re: M3 Choice to pick GV Supply Ammo Loadout.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
Sounds good to me. +1

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:17:41 PM »
Would be handy.
AMAX  in game

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »
+1
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:23:49 PM »
Tonight I was in a wirbel at A5-A6. Tanks got up on the A6 mesa and ran into a problem. Everyone brought AP. They couldn't finish off the ack. And they were running low on ammo.

Wish: Allow the M3 driver to choose all AP boxes, all HE boxes or, 50\50. Then allow him to choose what he unloads as the tanker requests if it's 50\50.

-1  No way.

Respectfully, I say that if you as a tanker take 100% of either type of ammo you get stuck with that type of ammo until the mission is over.

FWIW, I can't remember the last time I took 100% of either HE or AP.  Why? Because I use HE against the fast moving gv's (M3's, M8's, M18's, jeeps, etc). A near miss will at minimum blow a tire or damage a track. If you hit them then the HE is more than enough to blow them up regardless of where you hit. If you hit an M3 in the side rear, there is nothing critical back there to stop it. HE makes an M3 go boom regardless.

Even when I take an M4 Calliope to an enemy town I'll take the small AP allotment, when the ranges are close as they mostly are in a town the AP will work just fine vs most enemy tanks.

Besides, I doubt taking 100% ammo of either type is historically accurate in the first place.  Maybe in some rare cases, but not as an SOP.  Just a gut feelin'.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 05:04:29 AM »
Everyone showed up for a tank fight and no one brought ammo to take a field because they expected to never get that far. I was rtb in my wirble after protecting them and dodging long rang fire from the mesa they were assaulting against a heavy defense. Everyone came loaded for killing perked GV's. Not taking a base.

Loon for some reason you want everyone in this game to suffer, it seems, because you have had to suffer the ups and downs of the game. Or you didn't have a happy childhood. The guy in the M3 still has to get through to the front line. Now that's suffering in some tank fights I've run supplies to. 5 guys in tanks trying to deack with AP was pretty ridiculous.

Like skuzzy recently reminded me. Going off over this response is just gonna tell your age, and how much fun you ain't having anymore with the game.

Skuzzy, thanks for reminding me it's just a kiddy game over populated with grumpy old men yelling at kids.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 07:28:12 AM »
I always have HE in my load outs, jeeps, Osti, wirbs,m-8s, m3s , lvt's all die easily from HE
, how many times have you fired all your AP rounds in a tank fight?  Unless you're getting 30 + kills from 60 rounds of ammo you need to carry HE,,,  I almost always run out of HE before AP, in the M-4/75 I carry more HE than AP to start with, it won't survive a tank fight long enough to fire all the AP, and it's HE will kill panzers from the side and anything lighter from any angle.
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »

... how many times have you fired all your AP rounds in a tank fight?  

Pretty often when I'm long ranging.  When I'm balancing that out by upping over and over into a camped spawn, a dozen rounds would be plenty since I only get one or two off before I go boom.
AMAX  in game

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 02:57:51 PM »
+1
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 03:55:06 PM »
When I rearm my P-40, can I get six Hispanos?
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »
When I rearm my P-40, can I get six Hispanos?
How about 4 Boufors (SP) 40mms?

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
Everyone showed up for a tank fight and no one brought ammo to take a field because they expected to never get that far. I was rtb in my wirble after protecting them and dodging long rang fire from the mesa they were assaulting against a heavy defense. Everyone came loaded for killing perked GV's. Not taking a base.

Loon for some reason you want everyone in this game to suffer, it seems, because you have had to suffer the ups and downs of the game. Or you didn't have a happy childhood. The guy in the M3 still has to get through to the front line. Now that's suffering in some tank fights I've run supplies to. 5 guys in tanks trying to deack with AP was pretty ridiculous.

Like skuzzy recently reminded me. Going off over this response is just gonna tell your age, and how much fun you ain't having anymore with the game.

Skuzzy, thanks for reminding me it's just a kiddy game over populated with grumpy old men yelling at kids.

So you're telling me I'm old and grumpy for suggesting YOU have the foresight to bring some HE to A: use against soft skinned gv's, and B: to use against static defenses if need be. The only suffering going seems to be the likes of you who want to tweak things to your liking.  I've not "suffered" in the least bit in any aspect of AH, I've enjoyed it all. When I error I do not hesitate to admit it and I do not hesitate to learn from it.  Hence, me not ever taking 100% of the same kind of ammo while in a tank, ever.  I suggest you start learning from your short-sightedness.   :aok

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »

And the act continues. :lol  But bustr, your superiority complex is peeking. :aok

Smokin,

While I somewhat agree with you, bustr's idea has some merit.  It's but a simple task to load an HE as it would AP, and visa-verse.  Tanks already have the slots inside them to store the ammunition, just put ammo in them.  The process should cost more than 1 box of sups though.  So if you wish to change load, supplier will have to drop 2 boxes.  After all, person went with pure AP, which one box takes care of.  But now person wants HE, which is in box two.  Something along those lines.

If it is going to cost 2 boxes of sups, +1.  If it will only require just 1 box, -1.  The way the wish is made would have me guess that it would require 2 boxes, 1 box of AP and 1 box of HE, out of the 10 boxes carried by the M3 total.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 09:22:14 AM »
NO...its up to the tanker to pick his ammo in the hangar....how would that work when there is a raging tank battle and the tankers recieve he instead of ap....because thats all there is left.im sure they wont be too happy.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 04:26:23 PM »

And the act continues. :lol  But bustr, your superiority complex is peeking. :aok

Smokin,

While I somewhat agree with you, bustr's idea has some merit.  It's but a simple task to load an HE as it would AP, and visa-verse.  Tanks already have the slots inside them to store the ammunition, just put ammo in them.  The process should cost more than 1 box of sups though.  So if you wish to change load, supplier will have to drop 2 boxes.  After all, person went with pure AP, which one box takes care of.  But now person wants HE, which is in box two.  Something along those lines.

If it is going to cost 2 boxes of sups, +1.  If it will only require just 1 box, -1.  The way the wish is made would have me guess that it would require 2 boxes, 1 box of AP and 1 box of HE, out of the 10 boxes carried by the M3 total.

I wont argue that the idea doesn't have merit, but I think HTC already has taken that in to account when they offer the different AP/HE loads as they do.  They already offer at least 5 load out ratios for most tanks and in some cases even more. I think it is all about planning. If you're hunting other gv's then go heavier on the AP.  If you're looking to remodel some buildings or misplace some ack guns, then go heavier on the HE.

If a player doesn't ever put all their eggs in one basket (aka: planning ahead), then a player should be able to face whatever challenge is put forth.  Likewise, this is a perfect example of picking and choosing better tools for the job.  For instance, certain tanks are better than others for hammering a town. The M4/76, M18, T34/85, Firefly, and the Jagd's are all surpassed by the M4/75 (Calliope or not), the Tiger, the Panzer IV, Panther, and T34/76. Why? The first four have HE ammo capacity issues or lackluster HE rounds (or both). If you take an M4/75 to a tank fight then be prepared to get bent. If you take an M18 to knock down a town then be prepared to run out of ammo long before you even make a dent. Etc, etc.

You're right, the idea has merit but just how much more does HTC have to spoon feed some people???