Author Topic: The next step  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
The next step
« on: August 28, 2014, 10:13:36 AM »
I'm sort of putting myself through a training course.  As of recent I've been flying the Brewster a whole bunch.  My goal has been retention of e, how to force overshoots, capitalizing on the over shoots.  I'm also learning how to force my fight and bring enemy cons down.

My question is, what plane should I begin toying with that's just one step above the Brewster to accomplish the above said.  For some reason in my mind I feel like having a slower airplane forces me to learn, estimate and dissolve enemy states of energy.

I've gotten to a point I've began to impress myself and have forced 1v1s with much faster planes and came out the victor after some 10 minutes of going back and fourth.

Any logic to my thinking? Any new plane recommendations that will be a step up yet still screams, "come and get me?"

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:21:58 AM by Cremator »
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: The next step
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:33:49 AM »
Cremator, I moved this as I think it will get more exposure in the general help forum.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:51:55 AM »
I'm sort of putting myself through a training course.  As of recent I've been flying the Brewster a whole bunch.  My goal has been retention of e, how to force overshoots, capitalizing on the over shoots.  I'm also learning how to force my fight and bring enemy cons down.

My question is, what plane should I begin toying with that's just one step above the Brewster to accomplish the above said.  For some reason in my mind I feel like having a slower airplane forces me to learn, estimate and dissolve enemy states of energy.

I've gotten to a point I've began to impress myself and have forced 1v1s with much faster planes and came out the victor after some 10 minutes of going back and fourth.

Any logic to my thinking? Any new plane recommendations that will be a step up yet still screams, "come and get me?"

Cremator. Shall I recommend the N1k2.

It is a very balanced plane during stalls. It turns very well. You can learn to fight, duel, and tango. It's not a very fast plane, but can dive really well. The guns are great. The N1k2 IMO is one of the best planes for training and learning combat maneuvers.  

I am very experienced in defensive style tactics, as I do not fly many fast planes myself and I like for people to engage me so I typically like to start off in the defensive.  If we see each other on sometime, I'll be happy to go the TA arena with you and can show you a couple of defensive maneuvers that will change your whole game play and pretty much how you view fighting people who begin on your 6 with E
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:16:38 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »

Cremator. Shall I recommend the N1k2.

It turns very well. You can learn to fight, duel, and tango. It's not a very fast plane, but can dive really well. The guns are great. The N1k2 IMO is one of the best planes for training and learning combat maneuvers. 

I am very experienced in defensive style tactics, as I do not fly many fast planes myself and I like for people to engage me so I typically like to start off in the defensive.  If we see each other on sometime, I'll be happy to go the TA arena with you and can show you a couple of defensive maneuvers that will change your whole game play and pretty much how you view fighting people who begin on your 6 with E

Man that sounds great and I'll look you up for sure.  I've flown the n1k quite a bit but not for awhile now and not at my current skill level.  I'll start this afternoon messing with it again.  Is it a plane that will quickly grab the six of the opponent?
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »
Man that sounds great and I'll look you up for sure.  I've flown the n1k quite a bit but not for awhile now and not at my current skill level.  I'll start this afternoon messing with it again.  Is it a plane that will quickly grab the six of the opponent?

Yes
Although, it depends on how well you can perform the ACM and how good you are at predicting where the enemy will be during the turns. You need to be able to set up positions on your enemies so that you can force a counter move and make a quick shot.

Edit: a great counter attack is giving you enemy an extremely tough shot to make on you. Like for example instead of HOing turn to try to be perpedicular with the enemy when you cross, they will go for the shot and miss usually, and when they miss it hurts their E state, then you pull up simultaneously and do a loop over them to hopefully create an angle shot. The Nik is good at that. I'll def show you in the TA
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:37:26 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:22:25 PM »
 :headscratch: :joystick: :airplane: :rock
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »
Yes
Although, it depends on how well you can perform the ACM and how good you are at predicting where the enemy will be during the turns. You need to be able to set up positions on your enemies so that you can force a counter move and make a quick shot.

Edit: a great counter attack is giving you enemy an extremely tough shot to make on you. Like for example instead of HOing turn to try to be perpedicular with the enemy when you cross, they will go for the shot and miss usually, and when they miss it hurts their E state, then you pull up simultaneously and do a loop over them to hopefully create an angle shot. The Nik is good at that. I'll def show you in the TA

Awesome, sounds good...

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 01:36:10 AM »
Why not the FM2?

At least that way you won't get spoiled by the 20's

Or even the Hellcat to start beaning SA skills into yourself. "Same with the FMW"
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 02:17:48 AM »
I personally think that the Spit 9 is the best plane to learn in. It's fairly decent at everything and is very forgiving. I've never flown the Niki (or at least not enough to know how it handles) so maybe that would be a better choice to go with? I know Violator has some experience with it and he's a very good pilot so I'll take his word for it.  :)

You should definitely go with Violator/DmonSlyr to the TA or DA. I'm sure you'll learn a bunch! Also, on Fridays you should join in the Crab-boil know as "Operation Kill the crab". If you ask reaaaaal nice then maybe Crabby will let you fly on his side. That will surely put everything you know to the ultimate test!  :devil

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »
Why not the FM2?

Or even the Hellcat to start beaning SA skills into yourself. "Same with the FMW"

Because, he said a step UP from the (Finnish) Brewster. :devil
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »
Why not the FM2?

The FM2 is very difficult to be successful in because of its speed climb and excel, if you are not in the vasinity of a general amount of friendlies you will get ganged pretty hard. The nik will add a more realistic measure of learning ACM rather than just flying a TnB plane that doesn't really take too much input to be a successful turner.

The spit 9 that Latrobe recomeneded is actually a really fun plane too. My personal favorite spit is the spit 8, which is also really fun. These are great low to mid alt fighters quick slash style fighters that can really mess people up. Suprisingly, and I don't know why, but everyone thinks the spit is a noob plane, but the vast majority of players do not fly it correctly in the MA. You need to be very aggressive, quick not fast, have a great understanding of defense tactics, and the correct time  to raise and lower your flaps during a fight.

Many of the great vets of the game mass dueled and perfected their ACM In the spit 5 before they chopped it in half.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 01:11:36 PM »

The FM2 is very difficult to be successful in because of its speed climb and excel, if you are not in the vasinity of a general amount of friendlies you will get ganged pretty hard. The nik will add a more realistic measure of learning ACM rather than just flying a TnB plane that doesn't really take too much input to be a successful turner.

The spit 9 that Latrobe recomeneded is actually a really fun plane too. My personal favorite spit is the spit 8, which is also really fun. These are great low to mid alt fighters quick slash style fighters that can really mess people up. Suprisingly, and I don't know why, but everyone thinks the spit is a noob plane, but the vast majority of players do not fly it correctly in the MA. You need to be very aggressive, quick not fast, have a great understanding of defense tactics, and the correct time  to raise and lower your flaps during a fight.

Many of the great vets of the game mass dueled and perfected their ACM In the spit 5 before they chopped it in half.

The Spit9 is a noob plane because it turns well, is very forgiving and has lethal weaponry.  If it were anywhere near as fast as the P-51, the latter would be relegated to full time bomb truck duty.  Less people fly the Spit9 because it can't run away.  People are much more concerned with their kill counts than learning to fight.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
The FM2 is actually a good increment from the Brew. You gain some more speed, climb and firepower, but sacrifice some turning ability (it is still one of the better turning planes in the game and it is still a slow plane). FM2 is also one tough bird to bring down, so it gives you some staying power in the furball. The N1K is a much more powerful plane than the Brew, not to mention the 4*20 with unlimited ammo that will make you go for snap shots instead of saddling up on your opponent. Overall a good plane for the noobs, but a big step from the Brew. The real N1Ks instead of fighting spent much of their time in the hangars being dismantled and put together again repeatedly in attempts to make them airworthy - this is why you dont hear much about the "George" in historical records.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 01:18:54 PM »
The Spit9 is a noob plane because it turns well, is very forgiving and has lethal weaponry.  If it were anywhere near as fast as the P-51, the latter would be relegated to full time bomb truck duty.  Less people fly the Spit9 because it can't run away.  People are much more concerned with their kill counts than learning to fight.
Less people fly the Spit9 because we have the Spit16, which is better in every way, except marginally worse in very slow turns, and that rarely comes into play in the MA.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 01:45:24 PM »
Me410 is a great starter plane  :D

But in all seriousness I think a great starter plane is the F6F. I think its important to get comfortable with using a machine gun armament.

Only reason why I don't fly the Hellcat religiously is because I have this weird fetish for planes with crooked wings.
See Rule #4