Author Topic: Airspace violation by Russia.  (Read 5048 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Airspace violation by Russia.
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »
Then they could test if SAMs find the F35 or not. Russians shoot first, ask questions later.

That hasn't been true since the fall of the Soviet Union.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2014, 11:29:39 AM »
The Russians fly down our coast and sometimes far enough to be intercepted by Danish or British fighters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoxCVWiLYE
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
That hasn't been true since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Are you sure? Putler is doing his best to return the 'old glory' of the dark ages. And the population in Russia are just loving it.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
I didn't say it couldn't become true again in the future.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
I live in a so called 'neutral' country and no one dares violate our airspace otherwise we would send one of these after them:

They would flee in terror!

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2014, 04:30:05 PM »
No country on this planet is an island  :old:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
No country on this planet is an island  :old:

Japan.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2014, 05:06:30 PM »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2014, 12:05:26 AM »
Are you sure? Putler is doing his best to return the 'old glory' of the dark ages. And the population in Russia are just loving it.

Bit like Europe with its right wing nationalist political parties :)

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2014, 12:45:13 AM »
I don't know about your country but in my society landing and apologising indicates some sort of accidental activity.  :cool:
Or it might have been because they were caught in the act had a tinge of guilt.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2014, 02:13:20 AM »
When and if we are late they don't stop at the border. They fly up and down our coast just outside the border, but if they think they can get away with it they make a dash for a city or airbase. Tromsø, Andøya and Bodø are typical "targets". In the '90s we were terribly late one day and a Russian bomber managed to overfly Tromsø before being intercepted. That was not a good day to be the chief of the RNoAF...

When talking about the recent times, the above is true about as much as RNoAF doing 400 intercepts a year...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:24:28 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2014, 07:15:47 AM »
During the Cold War we had scrambles on average twice a day against Soviet aircraft. Now we're down to half that, but most are just flying down our coast just outside our border. In 1012 there were 71 interceptions of Russian aircraft attempting to breach our airspace and had to be diverted.None made it though. Around 2000 things were very quiet, but after 2006 Russian activity in the Norwegian Sea increased significantly.

And that makes me wonder what was your air force doing? Don't you guys intercept and ID all unknown and foreign military aircraft close to your border? Where was the Ilmavoimat when this An-72 breached your airspace?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:23:34 AM by GScholz »

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2014, 07:43:15 AM »
Heh... Just now two F-16s took off, afterburners lit, and headed out to sea. I live a few hundred meters from the airbase here in Bodø.  :airplane: :airplane:

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2014, 07:57:16 AM »
During the Cold War we had scrambles on average twice a day against Soviet aircraft. Now we're down to half that, but most are just flying down our coast just outside our border. In 1012 there were 71 interceptions of Russian aircraft attempting to breach our airspace and had to be diverted.None made it though. Around 2000 things were very quiet, but after 2006 Russian activity in the Norwegian Sea increased significantly.

I don't see any reason to believe a word you are saying here except that the activity picked up after mid-2000s, the numbers you are stating are so ridiculous.

"Russian strategic bombers had 10 missions to the northwest during 2010, compared with 12 such missions in both 2009 and 2008.

In all, Norwegian F-16 fighter jets were scrambled 36 times from Bodø airbase in Northern Norway last year to identify Russian military aircrafts. In all 37 such Russian aircrafts were identified on missions outside Norwegian airspace in the north last year, shows the figures given to BarentsObserver by the Norwegian Joint Headquarters.

- There is a decline in the number of identified aircraft, but the number of scramble is about the same, says Lieutenant Colonel John Espen Lien, spokesman with the Joint Headquarters.  - We have also seen that the number of aircraft on the so-called western flights (west of 30 degrees East) is lower than last year. This is due to several factors - both the change in the patterns of the missions, but also change in the base structure in Russia, explains Lien."

http://barentsobserver.com/en/sections/security/less-russian-military-aircrafts-vicinity-norwegian-airspace

And that makes me wonder what was your air force doing?

As unfortunate as it is, I must admit that I don't own an air force.

Where was the Ilmavoimat when this An-72 breached your airspace?

Who do you think took that pic I linked to this thread? :lol
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »
I don't see any reason to believe a word you are saying here except that the activity picked up after mid-2000s, the numbers you are stating are so ridiculous.

Well, Foxtrot Uniform to you too I guess.  What do I know, I just live here. :)