Author Topic: JOUSTING! (Or learning how to shoot people down, first-pass, at the merge)  (Read 4014 times)

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
Just gauging the interest levels here -

Who here would be interested in improving, or even mastering, their front-quarter shots? As many can vouch, it is quite an effective skill and one that not only produces tons of kills, but a lot of gameplay satisfaction.

This "jousting" session would potentially cover such subjects as:

• How to easily read even the best turnfighters and hit them at the merge.
  • How to aim and maneuver big-cannoned planes that are naturally suited for jousting.
  • How to maintain energy levels and easily avoid the turnfight, permitting yourself to set back up for another joust.
  • How to make 600-800yd kills regularly with 30mm-armed aircraft.
  • How to win the joust against another jouster (typically those who get frustrated by your previous successful jousts).
  • How to consistently succeed in your jousts!
  • How to joust against multiple opponents.

And so on.

Again, this is just a concept. Any interest?

:salute
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
Re: JOUSTING! (Or learning how to shoot people down, first-pass, at the merge)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »
HO lessons?
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »
HO lessons?

No sir. Jousting lessons. HO's can result in mutual destruction and should be avoided. This is primarily about the art of shooting someone else without being hit back (though there is definitely a component to shooting steadily if your opponent gains a guns solution and chooses to shoot back).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:44:17 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »

:rofl  :aok
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »
Youre teaching how to head on? wow, where this world is going...

I would call the Aces High Training Corps members to share their opinion about this. Please, Gentlemen!
AoM
City of ice

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »
Youre teaching how to head on? wow, where this world is going...

I would call the Aces High Training Corps members to share their opinion about this. Please, Gentlemen!

You flyin' yet, Deb?

:lol

I think it's an excellent idea, personally.  Lord knows there are so many who do it poorly....

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 01:05:01 PM »
Hoing in AH is no different from Hoing on the streets. It's for stat queens and no talents, and has no place in a game that is supposed to require skill. Anyone can HO, not many can fight to gain the advantage...
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 01:07:52 PM »
Hoing in AH is no different from Hoing on the streets. It's for stat queens and no talents, and has no place in a game that is supposed to require skill. Anyone can HO, not many can fight to gain the advantage...

People take head on, front quarter shots on the streets.....for stats?   :O

Damn, dude, where do you live?!  Compton?

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 01:18:11 PM »
When will people just accept that head-on passes are just part of the game, if it was against the rules wouldn't HTC implement a hit box that only applies damage behind the 3/9 line?

I had a 4v1 last night on the deck low and slow with a Yak3, Spit8, Yak9T, and a 190A, you're damn right I'm going to take as many of those red bastards with me (3) as possible. By any means possible.

In the time I have been playing I have yet to see 4 guys take turns to go 1v1 with an enemy. On the contrary, they are usually tripping all over each other to get the kill, all 4 going low after one, while 3 red guys come in high. If friendly fire was enabled they'd kill themselves before killing the enemy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:23:46 PM by Kruel »

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 01:25:17 PM »
When will people just accept that head-on passes are just part of the game, if it was against the rules wouldn't HTC implement a hit box that only applies damage behind the 3/9 line?

Actually Hitech has explained very clearly why this is NOT the case in his game:

EDIT: Parts of this need to be bolded, methinks  :D

AW Had diffenet types of head on gunnery, durring most of the time I was playing AW HO hits were not thrown out. but a person got a 3 wingspan buble for hits from the rear and a 1 wingspan bubble from the front quater.

People also seem to forget how with no collisions in AW, you would could head on in AW flying right threw the apponent with no worries of impact.

When a change was made to the randomly throwing out hits was the end of my FW flying days. Not because I liked to head on, but it took a very valid tatic away. In those days I would use a pure head on when ever I was at a disavantage. I.E. just finished a fight, slow on dec. and a spit is comming in. You can be sure I would take the head on in that case, because it was my only option if the guy wanted to fly right at me, and I had no speed to turn or manuver with him. But even more important than the pure head on was how it totaly removed the rope a dope. Against a resonable aponent ropes and using the vertical became almost inposible, because everone would just wait, and point there nose at you knowing there chances of being hit was very low, even thow they were stalled was required no lead to shoot them.

Changeing the chances of head on hits would have drastic impact on game play. It would drasticly shift  to the best turning planes, because speed zoom and climb rates impact in a dog fight would be reducused, do to the fact  all you would have to do is point your plane toward the boomer, and his pass would be defeted.

I belive  Zazen argument about death promoting more head on's is completly backwards . Lack of death is what promotes the long turn and burn furballs. If life was more important you would see a lot more hit and run tatics, as oposed to getting slow and turning, hence enabling the next guy to kill you.

Docs Idea of no ICons is not workable either. People want to fight, not fly around looking for a fight.No Icons has been tried, and very quicly becomes boring. The range ICON if anything gives more opertunity to do lead turns,judge peoples E stat correctly hence enableing manuvers to defete the headon. With out the range I belive we would see even more headons.

HiTech
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:27:01 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »
Soooo that's that, HTC approves, or is at least neutral. Why can't it be accepted as normal behavior?

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »
Soooo that's that, HTC approves, or is at least neutral. Why can't it be accepted as normal behavior?

Because it's a wuss move that is so commonly followed up by diving to the deck and running to ack.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 01:49:23 PM »
Because it's a wuss move that is so commonly followed up by diving to the deck and running to ack.
We've had some good fights over the lake, right Flyman? :salute That said, of the many taters you have lobbed into my virtual airplanes, not a single one has caused real pain or blood shed. Dontya think that fact maybe precludes "wussiness/courage" from being part of the whole paradigm? ;)

Besides, whenever I dodge a HO, and believe me, I dodge like hell when I see a Typhie or a Mossie lining up for it, it is because going toe-to-toe probably isn't going to go well for me...mediocre shot you see...thus it could be argued I'm "wussing" out of perfectly fair test of relative gunnery skill, could it not?  :D
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 01:50:35 PM »

I'd be careful trying to put words in HiTech's mouth. Read his comments more carefully -- he approves of frontal shots in two very specific scenarios: as a low-E defensive fighter and at the top of a rope.  I wouldn't use this as some reinforcement of the "doctrine" that you are trying to troll the AH community with here.

To everyone else: this is an obvious troll attempt.  Please DON'T BITE.

The best we can hope for here is a quick lock for this thread.
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline JUDAS

• Zinc Member