Author Topic: TRACKIR  (Read 4468 times)

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
TRACKIR
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »
Does anyone have any films using TrackIR, I am curious to see how it works in the game and see if it is worth me saving money for?

thanks
ab8aac/dmdchief
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: TRACKIR
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
It's like looking around with the mouse, except you control the mouse with your head movement.

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:25:22 PM »
I believe Skyyr has some videos using trackir, i was considering one myself. Don't have any Skyyr's  links handy but it looked pretty cool

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:27:56 PM »
Here's a random video that's a pretty good representation of its advantages

Notice how he can keep the bandit in the tunnel near blackout, and how he can peek around the canopy.  Some people love it, some hate it.  I pretty much can't fly a flight sim without it anymore.  In my ideal world every flight sim would ship with a HOTAS, pedals, and head tracker if the person didn't have them.

The people I've seen that didn't like it had a tendency toward motion sickness so if that's you, take that as a factor.

EDIT:  Myself, if I were in your shoes I'd consider waiting for the Oculus Rift to go commercial, though that might take a long time.  It's going to be my next purchase for my computer for sure though.

Wiley.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:33:32 PM by Wiley »
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »
Here is a trailer of Turner's videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WY0igAPKk&list=UUbhZmnzZ4BbHg7-O40DsrSA

Track IR is worth every penny IMO. It takes a couple of hours to get used to but frees up so much of your Stick fro other purposes:IE Trim settings on your hat switch instead of view directions.

You do want to bind Pause and Reset to keys or buttons on your stick. Pause obviously pauses Track IR. Reset will Reset your centered view to your current Real life head Position very helpful if you have a crappy game chair like me that slowly lowers its self over time.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 02:40:15 PM »
so he isn't having to use the view hat on his stick then?  Does the zoom feature also work with tracker?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:42:34 PM »
Here is a trailer of Turner's videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WY0igAPKk&list=UUbhZmnzZ4BbHg7-O40DsrSA

Track IR is worth every penny IMO. It takes a couple of hours to get used to but frees up so much of your Stick fro other purposes:IE Trim settings on your hat switch instead of view directions.

You do want to bind Pause and Reset to keys or buttons on your stick. Pause obviously pauses Track IR. Reset will Reset your centered view to your current Real life head Position very helpful if you have a crappy game chair like me that slowly lowers its self over time.

Optionally, instead of pausing it, you can add in a bit of deadband when it's centered so you don't have to have your head in exactly the same spot to return to center, just moderately close.  I've got about a golfball sized bit of deadband in all directions so when I return my head to center I have some leeway where I can wiggle a bit and not have the view move.  This negates the need to turn it off for me.

Everybody's different though, and head tracking is the single most personal setting you can have on your computer IMO.  Some people have settings I couldn't work with at all, and many likely would hate my setup.  If you get it, take the time to fiddle with the motion curves until it's working exactly how you want it to, don't be afraid to tweak it.  Once you've got it tweaked to where you like it, then start trying to fly with it.

Zoom works just fine with it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 02:44:36 PM »
One of the better videos I've seen, was by octavious I believe?

Made a long time ago right about the time TrackIR first came out

He used the song "hush" for his background music....

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »
Check out some of Latrobe's videos.

https://m.youtube.com/user/ChainGuN2
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »
One of the better videos I've seen, was by octavious I believe?

Made a long time ago right about the time TrackIR first came out

He used the song "hush" for his background music....

TC

That's the one that made my buy my TrackIr  :airplane:

It's still up on the naturalvision webpage http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/game-aces-high-2.html
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 02:53:13 PM »
Chief, IIRC... Ah films don't pick up the trackIR head movements at this current time

Is why people use fraps or some other video capturing program to make YouTube videos

Edit: thanks Lusche for providing a link to that video

TC
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:56:37 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 03:05:48 PM »
THANKS GUYS, just GOTTA save my money and get me one, that is about as real as you can get on a computer,  love it
Those links took me to more and I really like them.

SALUTE
ab8aac/dmdchief

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 03:09:57 PM »
Why don't you give this a try in the meantime to see if you like it:

http://www.free-track.net/english/

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 03:14:42 PM »
I couldnt imagine flying without one.

Its even better when used for infantry or vehicles in games that have those. The trick is getting past the first weeks getting used to it and trying to find the right profile. But once you get used to it it becomes the smartest $$ you ever spent on gaming.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"