Author Topic: arena reset idea  (Read 1829 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
arena reset idea
« on: September 09, 2014, 01:10:33 PM »
Instead of an arena closing down 4 minutes after the war is won, how about this:

When the war is won, a new arena opens up and the current one stays up for 20 minutes.

Why?...

For one, it doesn't totally let the air out of the game.  The fight can still go on for those that want and the base rollers can get the new arena jump started faster, because not everyone is logging on at once.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: arena reset idea
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »
 :headscratch:  It WOULD give me time to RTB, unless I happen to be over deep strats. :headscratch:  But it sounds like a pain to set up.  When the arena resets, it's the same bit.  This idea means they would have to have a fresh arena start up while the current one continues to run.  So for 20 minutes, there would be 2 late war arena's.  They would have to make sure the "lost" arena is locked so folks don't pop in there and they later complain of being kicked because they don't read the messages that pop up in text.

Like I said, sounds like a pain.  I can give it a +1 though, as I mentioned my reason. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:32:46 PM »
It shouldn't be a pain at all, considering HTC already did it with the Offhours Arena boondoggle.

The arena would be locked to new players when the war is won.  Every few minutes, automatic messages would notify that the arena is closing.

Base rollers love to get the jump on a new arena and would get the action started quickly.  Less defense = brave steamrollers.  At the same time, all the fighting wouldn't stop at once or take as long to build back up on the new map.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:13:55 PM »
+1
Top Gun

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 05:22:45 AM »
+1
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 04:56:46 PM »
Remove bases that can't be captured, when one team loses their last base they are locked out and we have a 2 sided war to 20%.

Will help community interaction between teams and fights towards the last base would be intense and I would like to see how a two sided war with say 100 vs 100 would force more action.   If that is too extreme I would like to see a sort of overtime - powerplay for 30 minutes for a potential comeback.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »
Remove bases that can't be captured, when one team loses their last base they are locked out and we have a 2 sided war to 20%.

Will help community interaction between teams and fights towards the last base would be intense and I would like to see how a two sided war with say 100 vs 100 would force more action.   If that is too extreme I would like to see a sort of overtime - powerplay for 30 minutes for a potential comeback.

I could see a lot of people changing countries once they were down to say 3 bases. How would this affect the side switch time?
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
They wouldn't be swapping for perks because the war would continue with the other team.   They would become prisoners of war and forced to fight for their captors. 

Side switch time is a different issue but I would favour it being more flexible than 12 hours for sure.   Even if it meant bribing your way across the border with perks.  Say you wanted to swap straight away you could pay 100 perks and have them divided up amongst the loyal players.   :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
I would like to see grayed out fields, depending how many players are on-line, to force more intense battles, and a more narrow front.
This way, even a big map should serve its' purpose.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »
I would like to see grayed out fields, depending how many players are on-line, to force more intense battles, and a more narrow front.
This way, even a big map should serve its' purpose.

it was tried before and failed
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 06:01:15 PM »
we are currently down to less than 150 players Euro TZ, one third doing GV stuff on a 255 field map, what could be worse than it is already ?
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 09:28:12 PM »
we are currently down to less than 150 players Euro TZ, one third doing GV stuff on a 255 field map, what could be worse than it is already ?

perhaps the gv's wont like the new set up, then you will have 1/3 less players.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 11:03:18 PM »
it was tried before and failed

If I remember correctly Airwarrior did something like this.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »
If I remember correctly Airwarrior did something like this.

aces high did too. ~2006 ??

there were only a few capturable fields on any map at any given time.

you can still see vestiges of it on the clipboard map if you right click you'll still see "field order"

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »
aces high did too. ~2006 ??

there were only a few capturable fields on any map at any given time.

you can still see vestiges of it on the clipboard map if you right click you'll still see "field order"

yeah I remember that.  you could only capture fields in a certain order, it was a nightmare.  most people didnt bother hitting the other bases as there was really no point.  big battles though, like 80 against 80 on one sector.  no noe's, or sneak attacks anywhere.  just one gigantic furball with planes stacked from 1k to 30k.

if you guys complain about 5 guys clearing your 12, back then it was 20 or 30 clearing your 12.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.