Author Topic: Aces High Noob <Alert>  (Read 3108 times)

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Aces High Noob <Alert>
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »
Another "noob"...like Skyyr/Kast and Kruel?    Hmmmm....   What qualifies as a noob around here lately has been...odd.   Welcome aboard any how.

:bolt:
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 11:23:18 PM »
I never considered Kruel and Skyyr new.

The games, FA and AH, are similar. Whatever skill you had in FA should've transferred over.
There are differences, yes, but not very drastic differences.

All an opinion.

Welcome Back, great to have you.

God Speed

Ratio
Top Gun

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 11:56:48 PM »

The games, FA and AH, are similar.

Not really. Turnfighting is the same, everything else is different. Views, energy retention, gunnery - it's nothing like FA, which is why very few came over here. It's similar enough you can make the connection if you focus, but the majority of people who flew FA weren't even interested in AH because it was so different.

That said, Admiral is prior FA Damned. That should tell you everything you need to know.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:26:56 AM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 10:13:27 AM »

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 10:37:11 AM »
My ankle hurts!!!

Their rear-end hurts more.  :rofl
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:44:29 AM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »
There are ACM principles you can definitely put into practice that translate over from FA, but the flying is much different, turn fighting there was much less forgiving than it is here, that means you have to incorporate/adjust more into all types of flying to be successful here. It changes everything.

The similarities are in the community (a lot more whining here though) the graphics, and LWMA (territorial conquest in FA)

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 11:23:09 AM »
 :ahand

:bolt:

:noid
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 11:36:10 AM »
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 11:40:19 AM »
There are ACM principles you can definitely put into practice that translate over from FA, but the flying is much different, turn fighting there was much less forgiving than it is here, that means you have to incorporate/adjust more into all types of flying to be successful here. It changes everything.

The similarities are in the community (a lot more whining here though) the graphics, and LWMA (territorial conquest in FA)

Yeah. Fighter Ace was a much more "pure" sim, where there was a direct balance between energy and angles. The more angles you pulled, the more energy you lost. Being good at dogfighting was very scientific and logical. Tactics were visually and functionally verbatim out of Shaw's book. That's all there was to it, everything else was simply decisions.

Here, there's a much bigger bias towards turning. Strangely enough, the game is more forgiving because of it. Everything's more lateral/horizontal, and there are many more "gamey" maneuvers that people pull. I found AH easier than Fighter Ace, but no where near as clean or straightforward.

Now we just need Rilak, Scorpion, and Dragonmate back here.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 12:23:14 PM »
Yeah. Fighter Ace was a much more "pure" sim, where there was a direct balance between energy and angles. The more angles you pulled, the more energy you lost. Being good at dogfighting was very scientific and logical. Tactics were visually and functionally verbatim out of Shaw's book. That's all there was to it, everything else was simply decisions.

Here, there's a much bigger bias towards turning. Strangely enough, the game is more forgiving because of it. Everything's more lateral/horizontal, and there are many more "gamey" maneuvers that people pull. I found AH easier than Fighter Ace, but no where near as clean or straightforward.

Now we just need Rilak, Scorpion, and Dragonmate back here.

The fa realistic arena was comparable to ah, that's it. With the views and physics in the other fa arenas, to call fa a sim is a big stretch. I had fun there, but it compares more to turd thunder.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 01:12:44 PM »
Not really. Turnfighting is the same, everything else is different. Views, energy retention, gunnery - it's nothing like FA, which is why very few came over here. It's similar enough you can make the connection if you focus, but the majority of people who flew FA weren't even interested in AH because it was so different.

That said, Admiral is prior FA Damned. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Here's to hoping he has class in spite of that...  Otherwise, 200 will be even more unbearable with the whining, the mocking, and the lame excuses. :rolleyes:    :bolt:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:26:43 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »

Here's to hoping he has class in spite of that...  Otherwise, 200 will be even more unbearable with the whining, the mocking, and the lame excuses. :rolleyes:    :bolt:

:lol
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »
who left the door open? and look what the cat dragged in.    :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 01:50:38 PM »
The fa realistic arena was comparable to ah, that's it. With the views and physics in the other fa arenas, to call fa a sim is a big stretch. I had fun there, but it compares more to turd thunder.

A more realistic sim environment does not make for a better game. There's a balance, and in my opinion FA had the perfect balance.

Along the same lines, to call this game a sim is a stretch. It's a game, and their are more nuanced gamey tactics here than were ever in FA. The aspects of flight that "hardcore sims" try to capture more often then not are modeled less than perfectly, and simply end up being aspects of the game that can be exploited due to these flaws (e.g. torque). This is why the Intermediate arena in FA was the most popular, even more so than Arcade. It captured the essence of dogfighting, without the superficial restrictions that serve only to fulfill a hardcore sim enthusiast's fantasies. Likewise, this is why War Thunder continues to succeed and outperform AH, despite being an inferior sim experience.

Regardless, it never ceases to amaze me when people point out that "their" game is supposedly more realistic than another game, when said player is mediocre at best in both.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:19:22 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

A few moments later...