Author Topic: Aces High Noob <Alert>  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
Re: Aces High Noob <Alert>
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2014, 05:26:16 PM »
Addy, welcome, sir!

Despite some of your early affiliations  :eek:, you're skilled stick, an absolute gentleman and your presence is a huge positive to this community.

I'm thrilled you're here and look forward to catching up with you soon!   :salute

Simon

Offline Admiral

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2014, 09:35:05 PM »
Addy, welcome, sir!

Despite some of your early affiliations  :eek:, you're skilled stick, an absolute gentleman and your presence is a huge positive to this community.

I'm thrilled you're here and look forward to catching up with you soon!   :salute

Simon

I look forward to it sir. =s=

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2014, 05:40:17 PM »
A more realistic sim environment does not make for a better game. There's a balance, and in my opinion FA had the perfect balance.

Along the same lines, to call this game a sim is a stretch. It's a game, and their are more nuanced gamey tactics here than were ever in FA. The aspects of flight that "hardcore sims" try to capture more often then not are modeled less than perfectly, and simply end up being aspects of the game that can be exploited due to these flaws (e.g. torque). This is why the Intermediate arena in FA was the most popular, even more so than Arcade. It captured the essence of dogfighting, without the superficial restrictions that serve only to fulfill a hardcore sim enthusiast's fantasies. Likewise, this is why War Thunder continues to succeed and outperform AH, despite being an inferior sim experience.

Regardless, it never ceases to amaze me when people point out that "their" game is supposedly more realistic than another game, when said player is mediocre at best in both.

Sorry, but a gunsight view (fa) where you can look straight down through your invisible wonder woman plane is not Sim-like. It enables unrealistic lead shots impossible with cockpit view only.

But...your opinions are right because you're awesome.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2014, 06:09:15 PM »
Sorry, but a gunsight view (fa) where you can look straight down through your invisible wonder woman plane is not Sim-like. It enables unrealistic lead shots impossible with cockpit view only.

But...your opinions are right because you're awesome.

Oh, so a single unrealistic aspect can ruin a sim? Good thing those Spitfire vs Spitfire fights are historically documented. Or that F3 view was available for bombers. :rofl
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »
Welcom Admiral! AH is desperate for someone who knows how to steer a boat. :D

Lots of great folks in the game.  Its a video game with internet anonymity, so obviously it has its share of 10 foot tall characters but once you filter those out of the mix its a great group of players.
AMAX  in game

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2014, 06:52:04 PM »
 :cheers:

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »
Welcom Admiral! AH is desperate for someone who knows how to steer a boat. :D

Lots of great folks in the game.  Its a video game with internet anonymity, so obviously it has its share of 10 foot tall characters but once you filter those out of the mix its a great group of players.

I'm only 5'9" but I have really big feet, and you know what they say about fellas with big feet!

...They have big shoes  :)

Welcome to AH Admiral

RTR
The Damned

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2014, 08:40:18 PM »
Welcome to, if not welcome back to Aces High, Admiral!

If you need any help with anything, or just want to tweak on some maneuvers, feel free to shoot me a pm... I'd be glad to help you!

I must say, I've really enjoyed reading some of your posts....

«§»

TC of the Damned
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2014, 08:55:58 AM »
No way!

Had to log in just to say hello to my old (2006) clan mate from Battlefield 2 eta.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »
Oh, so a single unrealistic aspect can ruin a sim? Good thing those Spitfire vs Spitfire fights are historically documented. Or that F3 view was available for bombers. :rofl

No but it definitely stands out as something that seemed to have been idiotically added while surrounded by all the other realistic aspects.

Basically I'm saying it stands out in a way that isn't right…
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:10:19 AM by Someguy63 »
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2014, 04:20:46 PM »
No but it definitely stands out as something that seemed to have been idiotically added while surrounded by all the other realistic aspects.

Basically I'm saying it stands out in a way that isn't right…

It was added for accessibility. There's no reason to limit players by forcing them to use an aspect that has no real bearing on the subject matter. Does looking around a cockpit take skill? No, it just takes a small amount bit of familiarity. You may disagree, to which I would point out that you probably don't know engine emergency restart procedures. Does your lack of knowing how to restart an engine in flight have any real effect on the skill of dogfighting? No. Ergo, forcing people to learn it would add to the learning curve and make it difficult for new players to join the game.

There were 3 different main arenas in FA - Arcade, Intermediate, and Advanced. Arcade and Intermediate allowed for full-screen view. Full Advanced did not. Guess what? 80-85% of the playerbase played Intermediate, with 10% or so playing Arcade. Less than 5% played Advanced. Games like War Thunder show the same preferences.

People want to jump into the action. Anything that doesn't provide action that stands between the player and that action is an accessibility barrier. Full-realism is rarely ever as accessible (or fun) as relaxed realism.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2014, 04:45:03 PM »
It was added for accessibility. There's no reason to limit players by forcing them to use an aspect that has no real bearing on the subject matter. Does looking around a cockpit take skill? No, it just takes a small amount bit of familiarity. You may disagree, to which I would point out that you probably don't know engine emergency restart procedures. Does your lack of knowing how to restart an engine in flight have any real effect on the skill of dogfighting? No. Ergo, forcing people to learn it would add to the learning curve and make it difficult for new players to join the game.

There were 3 different main arenas in FA - Arcade, Intermediate, and Advanced. Arcade and Intermediate allowed for full-screen view. Full Advanced did not. Guess what? 80-85% of the playerbase played Intermediate, with 10% or so playing Arcade. Less than 5% played Advanced. Games like War Thunder show the same preferences.

People want to jump into the action. Anything that doesn't provide action that stands between the player and that action is an accessibility barrier. Full-realism is rarely ever as accessible (or fun) as relaxed realism.

If a flight sim game becomes too realistic, I'd rather just learn to fly the real thing. That being said, I'm glad there's no external or gun aiming bots in AH MA. I would be pretty bored if I had to go through all the bells and whistles of actual engine start up procedures. I like how AH is moderately realistic but you don't have to worry about switches and crap so you can just focus on the flying aspect part of the game.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2014, 07:25:02 AM »
I demand that we have realistic cold start procedures in AH!   :old:

With fully clickable cockpits!   :old:

At a minimum it should take at least 20 minutes to get airborne!   :old:

That is my definition of fun!  :banana:

I also enjoy watching reruns of The Lawrence Welk Show.  Polka dancing rulez!!!   :rock
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »
I've played sims with "gunsight" view available, though not FA. Like F3, it can by no means be called realistic. Like F3, it was probably there to compensate for some limitations of simming. A real human who can move their head and has binocular vision does not completely lose a bandit behind a cockpit bar as easily as happens in sims. That said, AH differs from many sims in allowing enormous freedom and flexibility of view adjustment. Combine that with 6 DOF TrackIR and there is little reason to have a "gunsight" view point in AH, although it would be no worse than having F3!  :devil

WideWing once made a fairly cogent argument for NOT making the enemy plane icon disappear every time the dot went slightly behind a slim cockpit bar, again based on head movement and binocular vision. I tend to think he was right in that regard, I don't see much purpose the currently modeling serves besides annoying 109 pilots.  :D

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:15:32 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Admiral

• Zinc Member
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »
No way!

Had to log in just to say hello to my old (2006) clan mate from Battlefield 2 eta.

Mr Kazaa! 
Great to see such a great gamer still around.  Many =s='s .. :)