Author Topic: FM2 vs. BF-109f  (Read 3626 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: FM2 vs. BF-109f
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »
The FM2 is a great furballer... It all depends on your playing style.  :aok
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 06:31:37 PM »
109F baby!

The most all-around balanced fighter aircraft ever built - maybe the Spit9 can come close. Its handling in the post-stall moves, the stability when flying "out-of-airfoil", along with the effective flaps, powerful engine and light weight with the perfect CoG, i cannot see how the Fm2 could have a chance. Plus its a beauty. The only thing it misses is the stabilizing torque effect of the later models - i have never could fly this plane to its full potential.

The Fm2 can dive faster and has a better instanteous turn rate, but thats all about it. A solid plane, but has no chance to perform those aerobatic moves what make the 109 series that fancy.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 09:24:31 PM »
The most all-around balanced fighter aircraft ever built - maybe the Spit9 can come close.

Spit 9 eats it up.

It's a good match for the Spit 5, though.

- oldman

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 09:42:33 PM »
Spit 5 doesn't have the climb capabilities for the 109F.

Spit IX v 109F . . . Spit IX if the pilot knows even a little bit of what he is doing.

:rolleyes:
Top Gun

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 10:56:56 PM »
Below 20k the 109F-4 is a good match for the Spit IX; superior even in certain areas.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 11:24:32 PM »
A few of the more finer points of flying an FM-2

1. It's a Spit Killer. The FM can out turn the most common Spitfires in the game and is only outclassed by the likes of the 14 and 16. Spit V's can out turn it, but the performance advantage is mitigated by the Wildcat's durability and guns. It doesn't take much to shred a spitty with the 50 cals.

2. It's hard to hit. The FM is nimble and tiny enough that it is very difficult to get a bead on it, and even if you do, it can shrug off a lot of damage.

3. You can dodge most BnZ attacks if you see them coming. The FM is a very stable plane and you can fly it comfortably while looking out the rear view. If you know where the BnZ'er is, it's very easy to get out of the way of its attacks.

4. If you know what you're doing, it's a great buff killer. If you have the patience to get to altitude, the diving characteristics are such that it is very easy to come down at a steep angle, lock onto a wing root or the forward fuselage and smoke a buff in one pass. Again, your small size makes it very difficult for a gunner to draw a bead on you, and you can take a fair number of hits without problems. The only problem is that faster buffs like the TU-2 and the B-26 may be able to outpace you.

5. You can BnZ anything you can't turn fight. Those pesky Brews, 43's and I16's do not quite have the engine speed of an FM2, so if you switch to BnZ you can easily take them out. The only dedicated turnfighter that you can't do this easily with is the Zeke (unless you go in with an alt advantage), but there's a whole thread out there that argues the pro's and cons of that matchup.

6. Newer players tend to underestimate it. Pilots who are unfamiliar with the Wildcat look at the icon and assume they can take it out simply based on historical data. Those pilots generally end up in the hangar pretty quick.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:29:08 PM by Muzzy »

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 12:48:32 AM »
I've always had more success in the fm2 than the 109f4.

Most of the planes I fly are big hulking American radials, so the fm2 feels comfortable. I usually take it out in situations where there's not enough room/time for me to extend out for alt. If you upped it with 50% fuel you'll find it can easily keep up with the super turners. Biggest reason I flew it was to keep the brewboys honest.

Both are good planes though. 1v1 109, takes the prize no doubt, but in a furball the fm2 is more forgiving. The fm2 also makes for a better ground attack platform, with the ability to carry 6 rockets the fm2 makes for a decent de-acker and its large clip of 50 cal ammo makes it good for killing soft skinned vehicles.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:51:47 AM by glzsqd »
See Rule #4

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 05:25:38 AM »
Below 20k the 109F-4 is a good match for the Spit IX; superior even in certain areas.

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
The Spit IX's firepower is better than the Bf109F-4, which is a factor in considering which is more balanced.  Also, most Spit IX's were LF models which should have the same roll and turn performance as the F.IX we have, but the speed of the LF.Mk VIII or Mk XVI.

Factoring in range, a pretty good argument for all round balance can be made for the Spit VIII and Ki-84 as well.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 06:51:17 AM »
I'm not talking real airplanes here Karnak, but the toon-planes in AH.  :)  However, firepower clearly goes to the Spit. You need to quote Debrody if you want to argue the finer points of "balance"...

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 12:01:50 PM »
not every fight is dictated by vertical performance 

Its funny you say that because whenever I encountered you I had to try to dictate the fight in the vertical :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 12:31:25 PM »
The Spit IX's firepower is better than the Bf109F-4, which is a factor in considering which is more balanced.

Some still prefer the 109's armament for the fact that it's nose mounted. I know I can get at least as many, if not even more, kills out of the single MG 151/20 vs the two Hispanos in the IX, because such an installation is perfect for sniping at a huge range of distances without having to worry about convergence.
But I guess you must be a reasonable good shooter to be able to utilize this.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »
I'm not talking real airplanes here Karnak, but the toon-planes in AH.  :)  However, firepower clearly goes to the Spit. You need to quote Debrody if you want to argue the finer points of "balance"...
In AH I'd suggest that the Ki-84-Ia and Spitfire LF.Mk VIII are at least as balanced as the Bf109F-4.  Probably more so to be honest.

Some still prefer the 109's armament for the fact that it's nose mounted. I know I can get at least as many, if not even more, kills out of the single MG 151/20 vs the two Hispanos in the IX, because such an installation is perfect for sniping at a huge range of distances without having to worry about convergence.
But I guess you must be a reasonable good shooter to be able to utilize this.
Dunno.  What I tended to fly had a firehose out of the nose compared to the 109F's garden hose.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 12:42:39 PM »
Dunno.  What I tended to fly had a firehose out of the nose compared to the 109F's garden hose.

:headscratch:

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »
What I tended to fly had a firehose out of the nose compared to the 109F's garden hose.
:headscratch:

hint: something like a double spitfire, 4 times the ENY, 10 times the coolness fator

;)  ;)
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »

hint: something like a double spitfire, 4 times the ENY, 10 times the coolness fator

;)  ;)

Oh, I'm aware which plane he meant, I just don't get the point of this reply, as I was only replying on the comparison of Spit 9 and 109F firepower. I don't understand what the Mossie has to do with it.