Author Topic: Fury  (Read 5251 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fury
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2014, 01:15:47 PM »
 :lol
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2014, 10:52:12 PM »
We can at least be thankful that it isn't a Bollywood film. If it was, the Fury and Tiger crews would have had a dance-off in the middle of the fight...

Thanks, now I have a picture of Chris Pratt being War Daddy.

"I have a plan!"
"You have a plan?!" -crew
"I have...part of a plan!"  :lol

I enjoyed the movie overall. Gritty, action packed and simple in its approach to give you a glimpse into the life of a worn down tank crew.  :aok

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2014, 11:23:29 PM »
We can at least be thankful that it isn't a Bollywood film. If it was, the Fury and Tiger crews would have had a dance-off in the middle of the fight...

:lol

:rock

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
There are war movies and there are war theme action movies. A war theme action movie better be funny, otherwise it's a waste of my time.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2014, 03:11:53 PM »
     Just caught Fury <I know, way late>.  I enjoyed it, although I think Hollywood did the Full Moron
treatment of the last fight.

1) Does anyone else find it unusual that the SS would be singing in road march formation in daylight
   in April 1945?

2) Ok infantry guys, lets attack the suddenly non disabled Sherman frontally. while leaving all our
    panzerfausts crated on our way to the front.  Then let's use ALL of them on one tank...because I'm
    sure they don't have any more we might run into later.

3)  Great tactics Herr Himmler, let us not bypass one immobile Sherman, but throw our troops at it because
   it's in our homeland!

4)  I am not a Sherman expert, but shouldn't tank hatches be a little harder to open than simply climbing
   on the tank and pulling?

I swear they can't help themselves, if it's a war movie they have to fark it up.  The odd thing about
Fury was that the equipment they used was amazing.  Dragon Wagon transporters, Tigers, nice variety
of halftracks and Shermans, their tech advisor must have been napping during the battle scenes :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:13:50 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2014, 02:54:01 PM »
I thought Fury was entertaining. Those of who know a wee bit about WWII tactics can quickly point out a few things that were full of Hollywood and not typical SOP.
The things I was most annoyed by was the forced shooting of a POW, and the “200-300” of SS infantry armed with panzerfausts having such a hard time taking out a single immobilized M4A3 (W).  Again, it was entertaining and I liked it far better than Radtails (RT was the WORST modern WWII film!!!).  It had the typical Hollywood bravado.

All in all, it was worth the ticket and I will buy in on DVD when I’m able.     
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2014, 05:37:13 PM »
RT was the WORST modern WWII film!!!). 

Pearl Harbor still edges it out for worst.  ;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
I thought Fury was entertaining. Those of who know a wee bit about WWII tactics can quickly point out a few things that were full of Hollywood and not typical SOP.
The things I was most annoyed by was the forced shooting of a POW, and the “200-300” of SS infantry armed with panzerfausts having such a hard time taking out a single immobilized M4A3 (W).  Again, it was entertaining and I liked it far better than Radtails (RT was the WORST modern WWII film!!!).  It had the typical Hollywood bravado.

All in all, it was worth the ticket and I will buy in on DVD when I’m able.     

Well I'll say this. In the movie they looked like pretty crack SS infantry when in reality at that date they had very little more then kids wearing the runes. Not their skills mind you but their age.

The war is full of instances of the enemy behaving like turkeys at a shoot. The Brits did it during Market Garden when they kept singing and marching even tho the column was getting slaughtered by snipers. The Germans did it during the bulge when columns just kept marching down roads into withering American fire. In the mini series BOB you saw a recreation of an actual event when a few platoons of airborne, along with artillery hammered a SS battalion. When we Yanks started using proximity fuses on arty we slaughtered Germans by the hundreds yet they kept marching on. Its a weird dynamic. Maybe leadership is taken out, maybe its shock of combat, maybe inexperience, maybe they are just afraid of consequences if they run. Maybe they were just dumb. But it happened.

But it did happen, even if the movie did kinda stretch the realism. My favorite scene was when they went 4 abreast to take on the 75mm's in the tree line and the surviving infantry pinned down rolled rifles tight into the single columns following the tanks per training.

OK would those 75mm's miss at those ranges? Probably not, it was a very dangerous ATG. But the audio of the high vel rounds was tremendous and it was a well shot scene. As for the Tiger scene? Well how often do you see a real Tiger in a movie so beggars cant be choosers but I think they were trying to recreate the theory that it took 4 Shermans to kill a Tiger and that 3 would have to engage while one snuck around to its arse. Of course by then "spring '45" the improved ammo and 76mm gun made the Sherman a decent tank but who cares? I'll buy the Blue Ray just to watch the Tiger period. :D
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2014, 04:06:13 AM »
Typical Hollywood crap. Lots and lots of money, excellent equipment, good actors, crappy story, crappy execution.

I give it one star for using a real Tiger and not some welded T34...

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2014, 05:49:55 AM »
Typical Hollywood crap.

You anti-american nazi you! :mad:

:D
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »
     I actually think the welded T-34/85s weren't THAT bad.  I saw one up close at one of the Reading WW2
weekends and you had to be fairly knowledgable to notice the road wheels and fake turret hatch.  The front
deck angles always bugged me, but I imagine the average guy on the street would never notice.

My point about the column of SS was not really about the singing, but no one was dim enough at that
stage of the war to provide such a tempting target for the fighter-bombers.

Also if they only had a short platoon of Shermans, why send them to defend a critical crossroads with
absolutely NO support.  Not one infantry platoon or artillery fire support...nothing.  That is definitely pure
Hollywood.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:22:14 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2014, 05:14:49 PM »

Nope, I think even this one has it beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrlfjiZO2dc
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
Ah, then there's the good ones.

December ..... 1941 ..... the California coast .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_KOLqpo7z8

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »
Nope, I think even this one has it beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrlfjiZO2dc

What do you mean?  That one is excellent!  And very realistic.  AH will be adding the Dragon Mk. II soon -- might be in the next patch.