Author Topic: Windows 10 tech preview  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Windows 10 tech preview
« on: October 02, 2014, 10:44:34 PM »
Just a quick post to see if anyone is testing this new tech preview of W10, and if there is any real concerns forthcoming? Curious why they skipped W9, actually, but not looking for speculations.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
Re: Windows 10 tech preview
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:18:54 AM »
Popped it onto a virtual box and goofed with it a bit.  Has some cool features.  I like that there is a desktop again.  8.x will never see a live box of mine due to that among other things.  The multiple desktops is pretty cool *cough* Linux/SunOS have had that for years*

Some nitpicks I have so far are that I had to use a MS account during install (may be a way around it I didn't see at the time). After install I was able to make a local account. If a non local account is required it could be a big deal when building a system for someone else.

Haven't found a way to make File Explorer open at the root like I can with Explorer in Win 7 ("C:\Windows\explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,C:\").

Will know more when I get more time to spend with it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 12:35:09 AM »
Popped it onto a virtual box and goofed with it a bit.  Has some cool features.  I like that there is a desktop again.  8.x will never see a live box of mine due to that among other things.  The multiple desktops is pretty cool *cough* Linux/SunOS have had that for years*

Some nitpicks I have so far are that I had to use a MS account during install (may be a way around it I didn't see at the time). After install I was able to make a local account. If a non local account is required it could be a big deal when building a system for someone else.

Haven't found a way to make File Explorer open at the root like I can with Explorer in Win 7 ("C:\Windows\explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,C:\").

Will know more when I get more time to spend with it.

Microsoft is trying to copy Apple in tying the install directly to the account and providing cloud services and other automation through that. The only difference is that nobody wants to log into a microsoft account, especially the pirates.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 12:49:27 AM »
Just a quick post to see if anyone is testing this new tech preview of W10, and if there is any real concerns forthcoming? Curious why they skipped W9, actually, but not looking for speculations.

Microsoft dev here, the internal rumours are that early testing revealed just how many third party products that had code of the form

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9")) { /* 95 and 98 */ } else

and that this was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.

"Having worked on the Windows compatibility team before, I have no difficulty believing this," wrote user richkzad in response. There are in fact examples of this on publicly available code repositories.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:33:20 AM »
I read yesterday they skipped 9 because 10 is so far beyond 8 that it needed 2 numbers.
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »
I read yesterday they skipped 9 because 10 is so far beyond 8 that it needed 2 numbers.

More like they wanted to distance themselves from 8 like they did from Vista. But the quoted theory seems plausible also.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 01:13:02 PM »
I'm scared! Until now every second Windows version has been been more or less a failure and now they're planning to make a jump over the presumably good version!?!?  :noid
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »
I'm scared! Until now every second Windows version has been been more or less a failure and now they're planning to make a jump over the presumably good version!?!?  :noid

That is only because there were two distinctly different development teams.  The previous CEO, shut down the good one.  Microsoft only has the bad one left and that is it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 04:18:38 PM »
Windows 10 in my opinion will be the best operating system ever :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Online steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 05:53:55 PM »
You don't have to make a microsoft account (or use the one you have), these are instructions for 8.1, but it's the same on Win10 :)

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToSignIntoWindows8Or81WithoutAMicrosoftAccountMakeALocalUser.aspx

Seems quite nice from the quick play with it I've had so far, certainly starts up nice and fast, and being able to paste into a command prompt is going to be great (speaking as a sysadmin :))
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 02:41:26 AM »
You don't have to make a microsoft account (or use the one you have), these are instructions for 8.1, but it's the same on Win10 :)

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToSignIntoWindows8Or81WithoutAMicrosoftAccountMakeALocalUser.aspx

Seems quite nice from the quick play with it I've had so far, certainly starts up nice and fast, and being able to paste into a command prompt is going to be great (speaking as a sysadmin :))

Awesome.  Thank you sir.   :salute

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 07:21:30 AM »
I'm still really happy with W7. Is MS rushing the W10 release just to get past W8.1? That seems like a really dumb reason to do that.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »
Possibly market research has revealed that people feel a greater psychological need to update when the version numbers are more different.

Or it could just be this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690724/why-windows-10-isnt-named-9-windows-95-legacy-code.html

I have no intention of updating past Windows 7 until there's a very compelling reason to do so.  Considering there's no looming 32-bit or 4 GB limitations this time around, the only thing I can see that would force an upgrade from me is a game I really want to play that only runs on DirectX 12.  That could take another 5-10 years to actually happen.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 02:34:46 PM »
Considering the tech preview comes complete with a real time key logger, I would be very cautious about using trying it.

According to Microsoft, they are using it to fine tune the auto-correction feature in the OS.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 03:26:41 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:51:08 PM by Skuzzy »