Author Topic: Time to change the Washington Redskins Name - Once and for all  (Read 1471 times)

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
Time to change the Washington Redskins Name - Once and for all
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »
The Washington Redskins are changing their name because of all the negativity, shame, humiliation, dissent, polarity, adversity, defiance, hatred, animosity, contempt, discrimination, division, violence, counter-productivity, ill-spirit, un-Godliness, and hostility associated with their name.

So, from now on they will be known simply as the Redskins.

;)
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
Re: Time to change the Washington Redskins Name - Once and for all
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:17:29 PM »
 :rofl

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:22:35 PM »
 :aok
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
Funny thign about the "Redskin" name is I dont know of anyone who refers to native americans as redskins even in a derogatory sense anymore. And anyone I do hear use the term "redskins" is in reference to the football team.

But if we are goign ot take offence over team names there are other names we need to remove as well.

"The GIANTS" promotes and mocks obesity
"the Brewers" promotes alcoholism
And what about the atrocities the "49ers" committed during the gold rush against the native American population?
And we also need to get rid of the names "Padres","Saints" and "Angels" because those names most assuredly must be offensive to atheists
The name and insignia of "The Raiders" promotes violent thievery and illegal piracy. As does the name "Pirates" and "Buccaneers"
Surely any true freedom loving American hates "The Reds"
And what about the near extermination of the Buffalo that "Buffalo Bill" took part of? Naturalists must take offense at that name "Buffalo Bills" too.
We all know that Southerners are offended by "The Yankees". Can you imagine the hubbub that there would be a if a professional team named themselves the "Johnny Rebs"?
And what about the "Cowboys" who helped drive the native Americans from their lands? Arent they offended at that too?
Vikings. Im sure some Englanders out these must be concerned about a name that represents the raping and pillaging of their country
"Orlando Magic" Magic has long been associated with witchcraft. Religious types are now offended
"Royals"...Well we dont have royalty in this country. In fact this country was formed to get away from royalty. The true blue american patriotic must hate this name.
PETA must be offended at the "Packer" name

The list of absurdities can go on and on.

Heres the sad part. We now live in a world where peoplethink they have the right to not only not be offended. But feel they have the right to not be offended at anything. And not only that but they feel they have the right to demand that people care if they are offended.

Here is the deal.
You have every right to be offended over anything you like however serious, absurd, or silly it may be. What you do NOT have the right of is to not be offended or to expect the world to care or do anything about it if you are.

Lets face it. There are plenty of things in the world that are truely worth being offended over. Child molestation and/or abuse, starvation, Rape, Murder, theft. Etc

But a word or a name? Gimme a break. What wonderful shape this world must be in that peoples biggest concern is what a team is named or what one person calls another.

It seems to me that if people or groups put half as much emphasis and effort into dealing with the problems that exist within their own group for example in the case of the word "redskins" the rampant drug and alcohol abuse problem that exists, as they do with worrying what names or words other people use. They would be far better off and in the end happier and more prosperous

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »
I'm from Washington State, so while I like the Seahawks, I am -- as you can imagine -- quite PC offended by the name choice.

Seahawks are a proud species but have been oppressed by development of human communities near the Washington coast and by the loathsome practice of fishing, which is the theft of their native food.   Mankind came in and stole territory from the Seahawk as well.  To then have their name and cartoon likeness on the uniforms of the oppressors is just beyond endurance.

I think that all sports teams should be given a symbol that cannot be translated into words, sort of like for the artist formerly known as a symbol.

The Seattle Seahawks should be instead the Seattle 's

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 01:24:07 AM »
 :rofl

"And we also need to get rid of the names "Padres","Saints" and "Angels" because those names most assuredly must be offensive to atheists"

Oh dear, I never thought of that, yet; but believe me you, they have.

Chiefs, Indians, Braves and any team named Warriors, stand fast with the Redskins or be the next to fall.

The hypocrisy is "they" will do anything to try and convince us these names are impediments to Native Americans; what they will NOT do is a dang thing to fix blight, lack of education and access to proper health care for Native Americans.

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 05:29:52 AM »
Don't forget about objectifying and degrading animals by naming sports teams after them.  We hunt these innocent animals and eat them, but they would never do the same to us because they love Mother Gaiaia and live in peace and harmony with each other.  It's even worse than "the war on women".

Teams shouldn't even be named after cities, because of their histories of oppression, discrimination and general mean-spiritedness.

The teams can't be differentiated by numbers either, because that wouldn't be fair to the numbers that don't get a team.

Things need to be made fair and nice or they should all be drawn and quartered.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 05:37:36 AM »
What about the 'Patriots'?!?!?!

Surely that's offensive to the British?!

Er....wait, disregard...   :ahand

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 06:30:55 AM »
Keep in mind minority, gender, and gay activist groups make their money by being in the news.  No name in the news, no donations.   The bigger the story, the more they make.

Redskins implies fighting strength to most.  Now if they were named Washington White skins . . .  not too threatening sounding.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:32:56 AM by Randy1 »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 09:07:32 AM »
Keep in mind minority, gender, and gay activist groups make their money by being in the news.  No name in the news, no donations.   The bigger the story, the more they make.

Redskins implies fighting strength to most.  Now if they were named Washington White skins . . .  not too threatening sounding.

It would be considered racist
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »
South Park had a brilliant episode called "go fund yourself" that was a brilliant metaphor to this whole redskins situation. The thing I want to know is, they are all offended, but the redskins are part of American history, if we were to change the team names, they would never be remembered, is this what they want? Instead of little johnny asking his pops what a Redskin is, it will be something else. So by keeping these team names around, we are silently preserving history. I don't understand why the natives would rather be forgotten than honored?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »
 Interestingly no one has brought forth 'HOW' that team got that name.
 Notice someone made sure 'Pontiac' is soon to die.
 Go 'Blackhawks'...
                                                          JGroth

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 07:59:34 PM »
 :rofl :rofl

Seriously though... team mascots aren't usually named for things that suck.  They're usually something that is to be revered and/or feared, so the sensitivity to stuff like this is silly imo. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:01:23 PM by Triton28 »
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 10:11:32 PM »
This is really interesting, I haven't really run across anyone who thought that the name was acceptable since the issue got brought into the headlines.

Heres the sad part. We now live in a world where peoplethink they have the right to not only not be offended. But feel they have the right to not be offended at anything. And not only that but they feel they have the right to demand that people care if they are offended.
I don't really understand how you can have a 'right' to feel one way or another?
Either way, is it really sad that people feel like they have the right to not be degraded on a large scale/daily basis?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:41:10 PM by Motherland »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 11:32:27 PM »
This is really interesting, I haven't really run across anyone who thought that the name was acceptable since the issue got brought into the headlines.
I don't really understand how you can have a 'right' to feel one way or another?
Either way, is it really sad that people feel like they have the right to not be degraded on a large scale/daily basis?

And I have run across far fewer the thought the name was unacceptable. And run across very few (by far the minority) native Americans that find the word degrading.

Even among NFL fans a poll conducted only showed 10% found the name unacceptable.

And how are they being degraded? I dont know of a single soul who refers to native americans as "redskins" In fact anyone I know who even mentions the word "redskins" automatically assumes it is in reference to a football team.

Either way. If you (anyone) feels a word degrades you. It is only because you allow it to. Not because it is in fact degrading. Words only have the power over you that you allow them to have.

You dont have the right ot not feel degraded because of a word or something some one said. If that were the case there would be very few people in government as all one would need to do is look at some of the things stated in campaigns.

And your perceived right to not be degraded does not trump anothers actual honest to goodness actually written down right to free speech. It is the same right that one has to complain about a name that gives the one complained about to use it.

Things like liberty and freedom arent just about having the words and names you like. But also the ones you dont. Otherwise its neither liberty nor freedom

Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty