Author Topic: Name that WW2 Thing  (Read 17825 times)

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
Re: Name that WW2 Thing
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2014, 11:04:56 AM »
Luftfaust
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »
dang it cthulhu!! quit stalking meeeeeeeee!!!!!!! :lol
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2014, 11:59:19 AM »
what is this one? (hopefully this one lasts a little longer than the 5 minutes I have been getting)

The problem is you can just open images.google.com in another tab, drag and hold the image from this tab to that tab, and have the answer instantly =/

(Example: http://www.twitch.tv/x80hd/b/579052098)

Curse you, Google!  :old:

I got around it a long time ago by obscuring pictures then uploading them to an image hosting site so Google had never seen them before.  It's amazing how many experts fall silent once you do that hahaha
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:10:41 PM by tunnelrat »
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »
The problem is you can just open images.google.com in another tab, drag and hold the image from this tab to that tab, and have the answer instantly =/

(Example: http://www.twitch.tv/x80hd/b/579052098)

Curse you, Google!  :old:

I got around it a long time ago by obscuring pictures then uploading them to an image hosting site so Google had never seen them before.  It's amazing how many experts fall silent once you do that hahaha

That's why I do screen shots then upload the file to Photobucket. No filename, no metadata, zip, nada. :)

And FYI, some of us "experts" ARE that good.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2014, 12:25:02 PM »
That's why I do screen shots then upload the file to Photobucket. No filename, no metadata, zip, nada. :)

And FYI, some of us "experts" ARE that good.

Easy, chief.  No need to get defensive.

And yeah, I do/did the same thing.

Here's one you can get in your sleep (Mostly a test to see if that's enough to fool image search):

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
Curtiss-Wright CW-21

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »
Curtiss-Wright CW-21

I can see that when dealing with one of the Elder Gods, I must dig into the special arsenal hahaha

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
I can see that when dealing with one of the Elder Gods, I must dig into the special arsenal hahaha

It's weird. Even if I don't know the specific type, there are usually features that are a dead giveaway. That vertical tail is classic Curtiss, or possibly Republic. And it's obviously pre-war. From there, it's pretty easy.  :)

You see the weight and climb rate of this thing? It's a frigging butterfly.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2014, 01:59:36 PM »
It's weird. Even if I don't know the specific type, there are usually features that are a dead giveaway. That vertical tail is classic Curtiss, or possibly Republic. And it's obviously pre-war. From there, it's pretty easy.  :)

You see the weight and climb rate of this thing? It's a frigging butterfly.

Yeah, it kind of reminded me of the Model 299 at first glance (the tail, I mean)... I am not good with most of the really obscure stuff myself, but I still love trying... end up learning a lot in the process.

Just looked up the weight/climb rate... man you ain't kiddin... neat plane.  Had no idea these were better climbers than even the Ki-43!

I wonder how different things would have been had they had them in numbers back then.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:03:29 PM by tunnelrat »

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »
I wonder how different things would have been had they had them in numbers back then.

Probably not much. They developed structural problems almost immediately after the Dutch got them. The airplane seems a bit fragile.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »
I have no idea what that tankette (?) is... the front and the lights + coloring said early Panzer, but the superstructure says something British.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »
I have no idea what that tankette (?) is... the front and the lights + coloring said early Panzer, but the superstructure says something British.

Polish TKS

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »