Author Topic: Mad Max Reboot  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Mad Max Reboot
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »
And one day I will be driving it.  However, I decided to fabricate a custom IRS for it using the pumpkin from a late model Ford Explorer.  Just got the thing tack welded into place for a test fit.
(Image removed from quote.)

YOW! Whatahobby! (I'll tool fetch for beer.)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2016, 06:53:32 PM »
And one day I will be driving it.  However, I decided to fabricate a custom IRS for it using the pumpkin from a late model Ford Explorer.  Just got the thing tack welded into place for a test fit.
(Image removed from quote.)

Do you plan on outboard discs or inboard like the Jags use?

Did some searching and forgot the MkVIII had IRS,is it as tough as the explorer diff?

:salute

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2016, 07:17:36 PM »
Skuzzy doesn't seem like a man who watches anime or reads comic books.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2016, 08:56:47 AM »

Do you plan on outboard discs or inboard like the Jags use?

Did some searching and forgot the MkVIII had IRS,is it as tough as the explorer diff?

:salute

Have to go outboard due to space issues, considering I am using 12 inch Wilwood discs and 4 piston calipers.

The Explorer diff is the toughest 8.8" pumpkin Ford has.  The case is extremely beefy.  The axles are also very heavy duty (1.29" in diameter, 31 spline).  The biggest reason to go this route is availability.  Ford has sold millions of these things and the parts are cheap ($70.00 for each new half shaft complete with CV joints).

All I need to add is the Eaton TruTrac spool and better quality ring and pinion and it probably will be the least troublesome aspect of this car.

Have to remember, this thing is designed for a 5,000 pound vehicle which can tow upwards to 5,000 pounds.  Just from a structural perspective, it is going to be stouter than anything made for any car.

Skuzzy doesn't seem like a man who watches anime or reads comic books.

Stopped reading comic books when I was in high school.  As far as anime goes,...why would I waste my time like that when I could building something, or pulling my hair out of my head.  Either seems more fun that watching anime.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:00:50 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
Jeesus Skuzz, I know you did your homework but there is drawbacks to over engineering a car. I cruise guys garages that would have driven their projects years ago if they would have not ran out of money building their cars with tank custom parts. And really, does your car really need it in the end? I also shake my head at guys spending 80K+ in track ready TR6/Gt6 by replacing every single component by custom $$$ so they can support the bigger tires ever and go after 'the corvettes' ... without ever having set foot on a track  :huh

Words of wisdom from Frenchy, for who ever cares. The most fun I had in cars was driving the slow cars. Tracking a 800HP Z06 ... not fun. You always tippy toe waiting to get bit in the ass. Race tires grippy spec car ... not fun. Sure you zip around corners like never before but the difference between grip/no grip is so narrow.

My GT6 on track days was my best teacher and the most fun. You rev the hell out of it, slide your way thru corners, and truly have to work your line/breaking/momentum retention. Too much power, too much grip and you rely too heavily on it. You don't want to be that laughable track day guy that parades around in 500HP fat tires mustang when you were eating him alive in cornering on 195s with 150HP   :lipsrsealed:

It's your life puppies, but to me if your build the best car straight up you are missing on the fun of learning/tweaking/improving part. Drive the thing already. Cobra club racers got better stuff ... who cares ... go drive! Being competitive is actually not that much fun, you are actually always racing against yourself, not really the other guy. :old:
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2016, 10:20:05 AM »
It's not about being competitive. 

I am doing it because it will improve the ride and handling of the car (ergo the safety), oh, and because I can. :)  I started this car with one philosophy.  If Shelby was doing this car today, what would he do?  I could care less about being historically correct.

Time is not much of a factor.  It will take about 3 months to complete the IRS.  I already have the upper and lower control arms made (uppers are powder coated already).  The uprights/spindles are cut and ready to assemble (got the left one done).  The bearing/hub retainers are done.

The alignment of the pumpkin was the hardest part.  With that out of the way, I can get the exact axle length so I can get those axles cut and resplined.

This is the kind of stuff I love doing.  It is almost as fun as driving the car. :)  I am applying everything I have learned over the last 45 years of mucking about with hot rods. My first hot rod was insanely difficult to live with.  I was constantly tearing it down and rebuilding it to make it better.  I do not need to do that anymore.

The guys you are describing bit off more than they could chew.  I am not even taxing what I am capable of yet.  Wait until you see the engine management system.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:29:28 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2016, 11:38:42 AM »
Oh, one other thing.  Cost.  I will have approximately $550.00 in the entire IRS when I am done.  I am not counting the Eaton TruTrac or ring and pinion as they would have had to been purchased anyway.

There are perks in owning a CNC plasma table, MIG and TIG welders, a 3D CNC Mill, and a mess of metal working tools (grinders, cutters, flangers,...).

So in the end it is not costing me that much cash, not much time, and the benefits of an IRS are well known, as compared to a live axle.  To me, I would be foolish not to do it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2016, 11:42:03 AM »
Glad to hear, not that you need validation of what I think anyway.

Since you are on this topic. Rather than piecing together some junkyard EFI for my Firebird ... is there an aftermarket system like EzEfi or Affrodable Efi you heard good things about?
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2016, 11:44:13 AM »

There are perks in owning a CNC plasma table, MIG and TIG welders, a 3D CNC Mill, and a mess of metal working tools (grinders, cutters, flangers,...).

You think?  :rofl                                           :pray
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
Glad to hear, not that you need validation of what I think anyway.

Since you are on this topic. Rather than piecing together some junkyard EFI for my Firebird ... is there an aftermarket system like EzEfi or Affrodable Efi you heard good things about?

It depends on how much effort you want to put into it and the level of expertise you have.  Fast EzEFI has a good reputation for being easy to setup and run.  At the other end is MegaSquirt.  Pretty much a DIY fuel injection system with tons of options.

Several of the Cobra guys use the FAST EzEFI system and they all like it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2016, 03:04:55 PM »
DON'T .... google .... 'megasquirt' (with the wife or kids in the room).

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »
 :rofl
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2016, 09:08:21 PM »
Stumbled across the whole film on youtube with subtitles...

:aok
No gods or kings. Only Predator.