Author Topic: Bullying within AH  (Read 3483 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Bullying within AH
« on: October 18, 2014, 06:19:08 AM »
I will not mention names as that will probably get the thread closed......

I had a run in with a player tonight where I called him out about bullying other players.  He <bully> had sent a PM to the other player <bullied> after a fight.

I was not privy to the PM but the <bullied> player posted up on 200 that the <bully> should lay off that BS (or words to that effect).  <bully> tells <bullied> to man up and respond in PM and not to take it to 200.  <bullied> logs off.

I hop and the long and the short of it is I call the <bully> out for being a bully and forcing players from the game.  I am told to toughen up as it is just a cartoon game and he lives on the streets of <XXX city (must be a tough guy)> and I should mind my own business.

I have seen thread after thread of people complaining about numbers dropping - and they are, without a doubt.  We do not need people bullying others out of the game!

And, yes, if you are the <bully> I am referring to, internet bullying is very much alive and well.  To the point that governments run campaigns to raise awareness in an effort to reduce the level of suicide and self harm within society.  So, quit being a bully and start being an ambassador for the game and maybe you could have helped that player to stay logged on and for them to have fun.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Bullying within AH
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:54:07 AM »

Must name names!!!

Just kidding bro. Yeah, PM's from the intardnet tuff guys do nothing to bolster the fun of Aces High but most folks see these thugs for what they are.

My .02

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 06:59:42 AM »
rgr that.  Exactly my reason for saying - 'keep it on 200'  Abusive messages on PM are bullies at work.  Of course PM's have their place, just not to ridicule, abuse  etc

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 07:00:16 AM »
Best route is an email to HTC.  

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 07:02:07 AM »
I would readily tell you that a nasty PM is worth a screen shot to Skuzzy and a .report on the offender.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 07:10:33 AM »
rgr I understand the option to report.  The thing is I was a bystander watching this and got on 200 to advise the <bully> that his actions were not good.  Of course I copped a bit but I fought my corner within the rules.

I guess my motivation here is to discourage these types of interactions and encourage a culture of help and assistance

Of course we exist within an environment of combat, winners and losers - but that does not mean we have to ridicule and bully.  right?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 07:18:22 AM »
This is one of the reasons why Dweeb Hunts were created. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 07:39:45 AM »
Once they are gone.. it's going to be a great game.. no more private messages.. no more birds flappin they gums about some idiotic or moot drama, it will all be in the past and never spoken of again.. now thats a beautiful thing  :lol  (It's going to be fine guys hold on to your horses)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:00:12 AM by craz07 »
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 08:38:04 AM »
.squelch playerID
.report playerID

then return to normal gaming letting the <bully> get filled all up with spite and bile that you're not responding.  It's his blood pressure, not yours, leave him to it.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 08:43:22 AM »
Fess,

I hear you load and clear. Not that you need to take up a campaign all your own to ward off such behavior from the game, but I ask you to keep this in mind.

Bullies are usually victims of the same type of behavior focused on themselves. A man with confidence in his own abilities does not have a need to terrorize others.

The unnamed "Bully" that you experienced more than likely has a ton load of personal and mental issues that are acted out with a front of toughness.

They need to play "Hulk SMASH" with others they feel to be inferior or weaker than themselves.

Truly the best option for everyone is to follow the established HTC procedures that MAX mentioned above and perform a .report on that player.

Guys like Scuzzy review these issues and make the appropriate calls on player behavior. This is a business and codes of conduct are important to business relationships.

This allows you and others to continue to have a good time and stay in the MA as long as you like.

Hopefully the "Bullied" will not stay away from the fun.

Cheers...
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »
.squelch playerID
.report playerID

then return to normal gaming letting the <bully> get filled all up with spite and bile that you're not responding.  It's his blood pressure, not yours, leave him to it.

.report does do nothing in this case. Only if enough players in a short interval would do so, he's gonna get auto muted.
If someone is attacking you personally in PM's and it's severe enough, take a screenshot and sent in  a formal complaint in addition to .report (which creates a log).

And that procedure really works. Last month someone got muted for a week. :)

But I wouldn't do that for the usual "U lmme sisy" PM's. Just squelch them instantly and move on.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »
I for one love PMs from people like that, but that's just me. I just love when stupid people make themselves look stupid.

I don't think anyone should be PMing anyone else in this way (unless that person is being rude to others, then he deserves all the PM's and more), but people will be whoever they want over the internet. If it gets to you then squelch the guy, take a screenshot of this messages, and send them in to HTC for them to look at and decide his fate.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »
I think HTC should add an "Anti-bulling" message of the day and let it run a month strait before going back to a rotating post. Have it say...

"We at HTC take bullying very seriously. If you are being bullied and or harassed by another player please use the .report function to report the incident. HTC will review the incident and take the appropriate action. ALL reports will be kept CONFIDENTIAL ! Help us keep our game fun and enjoyable for all."

The "confidential" part must be stressed as nobody wants to be labeled as a tattle tail, squealer .... well except for the Pigs on the Wing, they squeal all the time  :D

It doesn't matter that it "happens in all the other games" wrong is wrong. As such a small percentage of players use the boards the message of the day is a good way for HTC to get the message out that there IS a way for it to be handled available..... as Im sure more dont know that there is, or how to use it.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
This game is national/international in the spotlght.. lots of people see this and are a part of this.. however, if you think you're going to threaten me or my family with remarks or what have you.. bro hear me now..  it will be a different lead that i will be taking on this. Period
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:11:20 AM by craz07 »
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 09:56:59 AM »
This game is national/international in the spotlght.. lots of people see this and a part of this.. however, if you think you're going to threaten me or my family with remarks or what have you.. bro hear me now..  it will be a different lead that i will be taking on this. Period

excuse me if english isn't your first language, but what the heck are you going on about here?