Author Topic: Ethics of HO Shooting.....  (Read 14339 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Ethics of HO Shooting.....
« Reply #210 on: November 07, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »
Next month on 'Something new to complain about on the AH forum: HOs! Why?! Why HOs?!

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #211 on: November 07, 2014, 04:54:21 PM »
He will more likely go farther in life because he is showing ingenuity early on.

The first thing needed here is to admit a well implementing HO\front quarter shot puts and end to ACM before it starts. After that, come up with a solution to it. That describes ACM.

If the front quarter shot comes up during an acm session everyone takes them.......to say they don't is just bs......I've had front quarter shots from the best in the game.... in an intense session if that shot comes up they will take it..and so they should....because if they don't...I will..... :old:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:59:55 PM by Canspec »

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »
Two things:

Morph is 100% correct. 

The non-HOer in the pic may NOT win, but the HOer isn't taking any chances.  My personal issues with any HOing are simply a shoulder shrug.  If you HO all the time or in 1 v 1 engagements, which do happen in the MA more now that numbers are a little lower, how will you ever really know how good you are at using ACM? (I have never had any issue with front quarter shots except that if one con is trying to saddle me and another con blazes in for the front quarter pick, he just got the kill and didn't do a thing for it. I guess that's a conversation the two red guys will have.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »
(I have never had any issue with front quarter shots except that if one con is trying to saddle me and another con blazes in for the front quarter pick, he just got the kill and didn't do a thing for it. I guess that's a conversation the two red guys will have.

But if he came in from 6 o'clock, it would've been just peachy?  What is the difference?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2014, 05:20:49 PM »

In the real world we punish the kid clever enough to get inside of the glass cage to poach his fill of toys at the expense of the kid trying to accomplish picking up one visa his skill with the external joystick and all the limitations involved. "THEN" after punishing him, he gets invited to a reality TV show and becomes an internet hero for whizzing on everyone for following the rules. Or he gets elected president of the U.S. 40 years later.

Remember that scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" where Jones has his whip while the guy in black shows up swirling his giant sword around? Then Jones pulls his pistol and shoots him ending any chance of a show of martial glorious skill.

That's a well placed HO shot versus ACM.

Kid who climbs into a machine and takes more than he earned without paying is clever?  You're right, he will end up a politician seeing that he fits the character model.

No, Indiana Jones pulling his pistol is like bringing a NIK to a C47 fight.   Your mistaking the HO with being clever.  There isn't anything clever about a HO.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »
But if he came in from 6 o'clock, it would've been just peachy?  What is the difference?

Wiley.

That's not up to me Wiley, lol.  That's up to the red guy that was out flying me before he got robbed.  I'm dead either way.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2014, 07:06:53 PM »
If you ease up in a turn to avoid a HO but still get shot did you really avoid the HO?

If a tree falls.....

I usually stay out of these debates,ha debate  :rolleyes:    but I've read too many things that made me laugh!

I have 1 comment and then I'm out,Fulcrum, I wouldnt call it an SA failure but more likely it's a poor choice of BFM!

:salute

Oh, no doubt BFM was at issue...but it would actually still be due to SA.  This is because the person's awareness of his opponent E state, angle, etc was faulty....leading to the choice of faulty BFM.
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »
Kid who climbs into a machine and takes more than he earned without paying is clever?  You're right, he will end up a politician seeing that he fits the character model.

No, Indiana Jones pulling his pistol is like bringing a NIK to a C47 fight.   Your mistaking the HO with being clever.  There isn't anything clever about a HO.

:rolleyes:

I've never claimed a HO was clever. It doesn't need to be because the person being HOed wasn't clever. It a simple, direct response to the single most critical error one can commit in this game:  Getting in front of your opponent's guns.   And yes, a pilot can choose to place himself at a disadvantage momentarily to set the other pilot up for a reversal, etc...but that is a risk/reward decision. 

In your eyes, if the other pilot fires and kills the one taking the risk, he is at fault.  This is basically saying the person taking the risk should get extra credit for attempting something "clever" but failing. I suppose that works in Horseshoes but I fail to see how it works for a combat simulator.  The interesting thing is you and Triton keep attempting to push the idea that AH is a "Sport"....but what you describe aligns closely with a Performing Art.

You know....Ballet?  :lol

Your C47 analogy is purposefully flawed to suggest that the person being HOed has no defense against it i.e. the C47's offensive capability is nil so it can't "fight back".  A man with a sword can fight back even against a man with a gun and in some situations might even win.  Not in the case of the fight shown in RoftLA of course.  In the film the man with the sword made several mistakes (assuming Indy was not armed or if he was would fight "honorably").  He naturally paid for it with his life.  Are you starting to see the pattern?

FYI - By your logic, Indy should have thrown down his gun and charged him to prove his manhood.  Moronic.

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2014, 07:53:11 PM »

I've never claimed a HO was clever. It doesn't need to be because the person being HOed wasn't clever. It a simple, direct response to the single most critical error one can commit in this game:  Getting in front of your opponent's guns.   And yes, a pilot can choose to place himself at a disadvantage momentarily to set the other pilot up for a reversal, etc...but that is a risk/reward decision. 

In your eyes, if the other pilot fires and kills the one taking the risk, he is at fault.  This is basically saying the person taking the risk should get extra credit for attempting something "clever" but failing. I suppose that works in Horseshoes but I fail to see how it works for a combat simulator.  The interesting thing is you and Triton keep attempting to push the idea that AH is a "Sport"....but what you describe aligns closely with a Performing Art.

You know....Ballet?  :lol

Your C47 analogy is purposefully flawed to suggest that the person being HOed has no defense against it i.e. the C47's offensive capability is nil so it can't "fight back".  A man with a sword can fight back even against a man with a gun and in some situations might even win.  Not in the case of the fight shown in RoftLA of course.  In the film the man with the sword made several mistakes (assuming Indy was not armed or if he was would fight "honorably").  He naturally paid for it with his life.  Are you starting to see the pattern?

FYI - By your logic, Indy should have thrown down his gun and charged him to prove his manhood.  Moronic.

A.  I wasn't talking to you.  I quoted Bustr.  I'm sure he's thrilled you answered for him.
B.  I never mentioned "fault" or failure.  You have decided to make that the crux of an argument no one is having.  It must be to prove a point no one is trying to make, thus, you win.
C.  The C47 was a counter-analogy, again, to Bustr's Sword vs pistol example.  At 40 yards against a pistol, having a sword is like having nothing so there is no purposeful flaw.

FYI - By your arguing skills, you won no debates.  It was even a poor misdirection attempt for one very large reason.  My plane and your plane BOTH have guns.  Bustr's analogy was weak and useless and was a failed attempt to prove climbing into claw boxes and pulling guns against swords is clever.  You should stick to drawing pictures to be funny.  You do that better than you type.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2014, 08:32:22 PM »

This is the root of the whole argument. The philosophical soul of our game so to say. One side believes in winning at all costs because it's your fault if you loose the fight. The other side believes in winning with a set of rules imposed or unspoken to define fights in a manner that all participants are striving for a demonstration of shared skill sets. Kind of like the European rules of dueling pre 19th century, rather than using any advantage to slaughter each other. How the British felt at Freemans Farm when Morgan's snipers took out officers anywhere they saw them beyond the tactical ability of the common smooth bore muskets. It was the officers fault for being on the battle field that day which got them killed using the argument de jur in this HOing post.

No one is going to win this argument. Though the ability to stick it to an ACM vet with impunity will resonate with the less skilled 80%. ACM skill takes time to perfect which creates a strong personal investment for it's future in the game. Accurate frontal quarter shots can be taught in a few evenings which is about the limit of the 80%s attention span.

Skyyr should have distributed a gunsight along with his long post on how to perform the deed. That's the problem with many of the 80%. They really want pictures and something that reduces the walls of text down to point here and click. And a constant willingness to tell or demonstrate to any and everybody how to do the deed. But, if every no skilled flying bait could do it, then no one would be safe from having their version of ACM stopped before it ever gets started.

Indiana Jones would be proud.

So would Harrison Ford. He had dysentery that day. He was so sick, there was no way he could perform. Pulling his gun and shooting the swordsman was unscripted. He was getting ready to call it and walk off the set for the day when he was standing there for that scene. Lucas couldn't have planned a better scene and acting by Harrison.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2014, 08:34:30 PM »
So you thought the pictures were funny...me too!

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2014, 08:50:51 PM »
So you thought the pictures were funny...me too!

Actually yes.  I laughed outloud in a meeting when I saw them

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »
Skyyr should have distributed a gunsight along with his long post on how to perform the deed.

The default one works just fine. No one needs anything other than a single dot to be good at gunnery.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2014, 09:32:42 PM »
This is the root of the whole argument. The philosophical soul of our game so to say. One side believes in winning at all costs because it's your fault if you loose the fight. The other side believes in winning with a set of rules imposed or unspoken to define fights in a manner that all participants are striving for a demonstration of shared skill sets. Kind of like the European rules of dueling pre 19th century, rather than using any advantage to slaughter each other. How the British felt at Freemans Farm when Morgan's snipers took out officers anywhere they saw them beyond the tactical ability of the common smooth bore muskets. It was the officers fault for being on the battle field that day which got them killed using the argument de jur in this HOing post.

No one is going to win this argument. Though the ability to stick it to an ACM vet with impunity will resonate with the less skilled 80%. ACM skill takes time to perfect which creates a strong personal investment for it's future in the game. Accurate frontal quarter shots can be taught in a few evenings which is about the limit of the 80%s attention span.

Skyyr should have distributed a gunsight along with his long post on how to perform the deed. That's the problem with many of the 80%. They really want pictures and something that reduces the walls of text down to point here and click. And a constant willingness to tell or demonstrate to any and everybody how to do the deed. But, if every no skilled flying bait could do it, then no one would be safe from having their version of ACM stopped before it ever gets started.

Indiana Jones would be proud.

So would Harrison Ford. He had dysentery that day. He was so sick, there was no way he could perform. Pulling his gun and shooting the swordsman was unscripted. He was getting ready to call it and walk off the set for the day when he was standing there for that scene. Lucas couldn't have planned a better scene and acting by Harrison.

Bustr,

All movie analogies and actor diseases aside, HOing or not HOing is simply a personal preference for everyone, one way or the other.  All of us could give filmed and recounted examples where we HO'd, we GOT Ho'd, many vs few, few vs many, bad angles, good angles, mistakes made, forced others to make mistakes, ad nauseum.  Some very great sticks HO regulary...as a matter of practice. 

For me the difference between losing to a good fight and losing to a HO is disappointment.  I'm not mad, I'm not upset...I'm simply disappointed that my opponent CHOSE to pull the trigger head on.  I don't think its a failing on the community, lol, a failing on the person who chooses to HO.  I also believe it to be a viable guns solution in RL...albeit a very low probability, dangerous tactic.  Moreover, when you see your opponent falling on you OR pulling for a HO, most of the time (no, I don't care what Violator espouses.  He has his dreams and realities and I have mine) avoiding the HOer puts you in a terrible position after the HO by virtue of loss in alt or E unless you are already in a position of advantage (coming down with E or going up with plenty of E).  They could have just as easily pulled for an angle that would have put them in a positive or at worst, neutral position of advantage.

I will always ask:  If you choose to HO regularly as a matter of your personal gaming preference, how will you really know how good you are at ACM?  That is my only question and my only position in this little discussion. 

A good example that is easy to understand for most people is this (yes it is a sporting example as defined below):

1 sport verb \ˈspȯrt\ 

: to wear (something) in a way that attracts attention

: to play in a happy and lively way

Full Definition of SPORT
intransitive verb
a :  to amuse oneself :  frolic 
b :  to engage in a sport
a :  to mock or ridicule something
b :  to speak or act in jest :  trifle
[2sport] :  to deviate or vary abruptly from type (as by bud variation) :  mutate

Kruel and I go golfing (he'll go with me because I will buy him beer and pay for his round of golf) and we decide upfront to move the ball on the ground one club length to improve our lies.  That is agreed upon and ok to do in a friendly round of golf.  Kruel chooses to play his ball DOWN (meaning he will play it wherever it lies) and not improve his lie.  Kruel will know exactly how well he golfed that day right?.  I chose to improve my lie.  There is an agreed advantage I chose to accept.  Whether I won or Kruel won doesn't matter.  The game could be played with or without the advantage and I would submit to Skyyr's argument:  HOing is an advantage when done first and accurately.  But so is improving your lie in golf however you'll never know how well you really golf if you are constantly giving yourself an advantage. 

The only issue with this example is defining rules.  In golf there are many and all can be foregone at the outset.  In this game there are none but we all have a sense of what defines skill and where each of us are on the AH skill chart without anyone really needing to tell us and we personally define that by HOW we record our victories.  It also shows on what we decide to defend as tactics, skills and reality.  Your choices are not my choices or anyone elses...they are simply yours.  Measured against each of our set of game values, we are all entitled to our opinions of one another's choices and what they say about that specific person.  It doesn't make it right.  It just makes it our own.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #224 on: November 07, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »
Air combat manoeuvring (also spelled: air combat maneuvering, or ACM) is the art of manoeuvring a combat aircraft in order to attain a position from which an attack can be made on another aircraft

The point of ACM is to kill the opponent. Flying for any other purpose is not ACM.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."