Author Topic: Boom n Zoom Problems (Typhoon)  (Read 3710 times)

Offline RedAgony

• Zinc Member
Boom n Zoom Problems (Typhoon)
« on: November 05, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »
So how far out should I aim on for reversing my turn if I'm in a Typhoon?  I generally don't have a problem slashing in and taking shots, but usually find somone trying to climb for me.

I level out and then use my top speed to get away.  When I try to immelman back in (at D 2.0) I end up with too little speed in a plane that can't turn worth crap (again, Typhoon).

Any tips?
This song came on, and I was invincible:

https://youtu.be/T3yPyc5ZdNs

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Boom n Zoom Problems (Typhoon)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 02:16:56 PM »
Zoom up instead of out. Get their nose up for a shot at you and wait for it to drop. Spiral to avoid getting shot.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 03:10:08 PM »
So how far out should I aim on for reversing my turn if I'm in a Typhoon?  I generally don't have a problem slashing in and taking shots, but usually find somone trying to climb for me.

I level out and then use my top speed to get away.  When I try to immelman back in (at D 2.0) I end up with too little speed in a plane that can't turn worth crap (again, Typhoon).

Any tips?
Dont do immelmans in a Typh. If you want to reverse, use a high wingover. To the left is better because at the end you'll roll right to straighten out and the Typh rolls much better to the right. With a wingover, you come out of the maneuver with about the same speed as you started. Immelamn trades speed for alt, so you end up headed in the opposite direction, but higher and slower - I'd rather have my energy in the form of speed than alt, especially in a Typh.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline RedAgony

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 05:39:58 PM »
ok thanks!  I'll try that!   The typhy is lovely with speed, but slow, you might as well be deadstick.
This song came on, and I was invincible:

https://youtu.be/T3yPyc5ZdNs

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
Yes what FLS said. Extending far away just makes you lose more speed to drag if your really fast and gives the other guy time to climb.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 07:50:53 PM »
What's a wingover? I've never even heard of that. Anyone help me out here? :P

:salute
JRjolly

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:44 PM »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »
What's a wingover? I've never even heard of that. Anyone help me out here? :P

:salute
JRjolly

:cry
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 08:35:33 PM »
Oh wow that's it? hahaha I didn't know that's what it was called...

:bhead :bhead

That's my Primary exit on a BnZ shot... lol

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 06:32:47 AM »
You want to keep working your opponent's speed down when BnZing. If you're extending away then he levels off to chase you and builds speed back up. Your opponent will bleed a bit of speed making his defensive turn against your initial attack. If you miss then immediately go back into the vertical. They will be low on speed after avoiding your shot and will bleed even more speed if they attempt to climb with you, which they won't be able to do anyways since you will have such a big speed advantage.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 09:33:38 AM »
You want to keep working your opponent's speed down when BnZing. If you're extending away then he levels off to chase you and builds speed back up. Your opponent will bleed a bit of speed making his defensive turn against your initial attack. If you miss then immediately go back into the vertical. They will be low on speed after avoiding your shot and will bleed even more speed if they attempt to climb with you, which they won't be able to do anyways since you will have such a big speed advantage.
You make assumptions about what the opponent is going to do.  What are you going to do when the opponent doesn't cooperate?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:35:56 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 09:40:56 AM »
You make assumptions about what the opponent is going to do.  What are you going to do when the opponent doesn't cooperate?

What do you mean? What if he doesn't turn? Then he dies.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 09:47:18 AM »
What if they split S? They avoid your shot and actually gain a little speed. Then what?

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »
What if they split S? They avoid your shot and actually gain a little speed. Then what?

He gains kinetic energy (speed) but loses Potential energy (altitude). I personally would loop back up and dive into him aggressively to keep the pressure on and prevent him from regaining that altitude. If he keeps doing split-s's then eventually he'll run out of altitude to convert into speed, and eventually he'll run out of speed if you can keep the pressure on an prevent him from gaining speed back.

I know I have had to use a split-s when being defensive against a BnZ attacker, but I only use it when I have no speed to work with. The Defenders objective when fighting someone with more altitude is to first neutralize that altitude advantage by either slowly working his way up to him or waiting for the attacker to make a mistake. A split-s will get you more speed but will give the attacker an even bigger altitude advantage unless you can regain that altitude (which a good pilot won't let you do). If you can't get to their altitude then the only times you are going to get to go offensive is the very brief moment when he overshoots, and that's not a very large window of opportunity to get a good shot in.

I was just going off the assumption that the defender was at speed in my previous post. In those scenarios their first move will tell you a lot about how skilled of a pilot you are fighting. If I can see they have decent enough speed to maneuver (250mph or more) and their first move is some sort of turn to preserve as much altitude as possible, then I know I'm fighting someone who probably knows what they're doing. If they immediately roll inverted and split-s then it's more often than not he's not quite a skilled pilot yet.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
Let me in the defensive for a moment. If someone is diving in on me. My first move should be a 1.) Flat turn into his path or 2.) Up and into him.

If I do 1, I don't think it's aggressive enough to get him to overshoot. If I do 2.) I'm losing a LOT of speed. If that happens and the attacker is good, He'll do a nice high loop and he's back in on me when I'm doing 150-200mph. That's where I go wrong. I'm so aggresive on my initial merge, I lose too much speed. I'm too worried about him getting a shot on me on that first pass.

Am I doing the right thing? Which one makes one more right than the other? How can I conserve more E and get out of his flight path WITHOUT giving up my altitude.