nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Who...
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »
For right now yes score is considerably favored those with higher hit% and K/H. I think points are another huge factor as well. Points always killed me about 4 years ago when all my stats were great except for those pesky points.

From a statistical stand point. Not very many players have an above 2 K/S. While hit% is tough because any person can up their first sortie and walk away with a 15 hit% and not fly another fighter sortie.

Back then points made a big difference because there were a lot more people flying. K/H have gone down because of the lack of players to shoot. If a ton of people had a lot of points, you wouldn't see players with 4 sorties and 20 kills in the top 10.

K/S is really the only justafiable score because it shows how good the player is at getting kills every time they up. If a player goes out and shoots down 1 b17 for example, and clobbers em, then goes to land, they will get a high hit%, a 1 K/D, and ton of points, and only a 1 Kill/S. So if they were to do this for 10 sorties and land. Their stats would look excelent with a 10 K/D >20 hit% and close to 10k points. Depending on fast you land and reup to get those kills, you could he looking at a about a 7K/H which is low, but still sturdy. However, you'd only end with a 1 K/S which would crutch you. Now imagine killing 2 B17s every sortie, you'd be #1 fighter easily.

This is why I think K/S is what really makes a player better than average regardless of what their score is. Granted, those who take it seriously.

Now many players don't care about K/D. So you can really get a good indication of how players fly based on their kills/S in the MA.

Conversily K/S also has a huge impact on K/H. If you get 5 kills every sortie and die. You will have a better K/H than someone who gets 5 kills and lands every sortie.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:56:09 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2014, 12:52:11 PM »
The best thing about the AH score system is that it resets every month.

Score is only relative to a persons perception....I will never be a super star of AH but I have moments of glory where I can fight and beat 1,2,3,4 Vs me..now if I was to play a different way I could strive to be awesomesauce but I have tried and it bores the crud out of me,..... there is only a handful of people who have a true representation of their score.... and here is the true score..... we know who they are and who they are not.......... sure you can have an awesome score in a particular area...but there is only 1% that can do this in every area of the scoring system without pretentiousness

The rest are why we have bollock filled posts about this and that.....

My score sucks but I don't feel it is a true representation of my ability.... maybe it is..

As for the Who, for me it was Spatula who gave me a start in the arenas....then Agent360 showed me(through fighting him) how to apply better tactics in a slow fight....Grizz pointed out tips on throttle work..... many guys have helped me along the way and still do..... Sads, trogdor, archiaus, GRIM...... Slapshot for pointing out my flaw of jumping into a 1 v 1 without asking..Silat for allowing me to feel comfortable in heels.....SHawk...well just because he has a mullet... The list goes on...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:02:02 PM by SPKmes »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2014, 01:14:25 PM »
The best thing about the AH score system is that it resets every month.

Score is only relative to a persons perception....I will never be a super star of AH but I have moments of glory where I can fight and beat 1,2,3,4 Vs me..now if I was to play a different way I could strive to be awesomesauce but I have tried and it bores the crud out of me,..... there is only a handful of people who have a true representation of their score.... and here is the true score..... we know who they are and who they are not.......... sure you can have an awesome score in a particular area...but there is only 1% that can do this in every area of the scoring system without pretentiousness

The rest are why we have bollock filled posts about this and that.....

My score sucks but I don't feel it is a true representation of my ability.... maybe it is..

As for the Who, for me it was Spatula who gave me a start in the arenas....then Agent360 showed me(through fighting him) how to apply better tactics in a slow fight....Grizz pointed out tips on throttle work..... many guys have helped me along the way and still do..... Sads, trogdor, archiaus, GRIM...... Slapshot for pointing out my flaw of jumping into a 1 v 1 without asking..Silat for allowing me to feel comfortable in heels.....SHawk...well just because he has a mullet... The list goes on...

Let the record show that I presumably mean by players who strive to create successful sorties for there own well being in order to achieve score on their abilities compared to others.
Players like
Latrobe, skyrock, tongs, and such ect, are great duelers and furballers who just do not care and they are great sticks as well in a different category of being good.

I too agree tongs that it is great that scores reset every month.

I'd also like to add that plane choice highly epetimizes the players success in scores as well, nowadays players have to fly faster planes to get higher K/H since there aren't as many planes flying around. Faster planes are easier to get kills and land in. Tongs, you fly a very hard plane to be successful when gauging score compared to someone who only fly's La7s.

And I agree tongs, flying that perfect suitable score style is veryyy boring IMO to always be patient and constantly get 90% of your kills through picking and extending.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2014, 01:19:54 PM »
Let the record show that I presumably mean by players who strive to create successful sorties for there own well being in order to achieve score on their abilities compared to others.
Players like
Latrobe, skyrock, tongs, and such ect, are great duelers and furballers who just do not care and they are great sticks as well in a different category of being good.

I too agree tongs that it is great that scores reset every month.

I'd also like to add that plane choice highly epetimizes the players success in scores as well, nowadays players have to fly faster planes to get higher K/H since there aren't as many planes flying around. Faster planes are easier to get kills and land in. Tongs, you fly a very hard plane to be successful when gauging score compared to someone who only fly's La7s.

And I agree tongs, flying that perfect suitable score style is veryyy boring IMO to always be patient and constantly get 90% of your kills through picking and extending.

I kindda disagree with this.  I used to fly the zero and the spit8 and I would land many times over the kills I do in my ponyd.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
Score can give you a clue about how good someone is but it can also be twisted. A player who only ups in fighter mode when the vulching is on is going to have a high hit percentage and high kill to time.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »
I kindda disagree with this.  I used to fly the zero and the spit8 and I would land many times over the kills I do in my ponyd.

This.

It's actually harder to get kills in a faster plane (it's a simple matter of physics and angles); however, faster planes (up to a point) increase your ability to survive. So while it's harder to get kills, you typically end up living longer and therefore land more kills over time compared to flying a slower plane. This only fully applies to many vs many combat.

The best planes for kills, from a tactics perspective, are good turning planes with medium airspeed ranges, such as the Spixteen, Spit 8/9, Ki-84, etc.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »

semp

Only for you semp, not the top 9 players in fighter scores. The top most used planes by the highest scores in fighter are:
262- over 465 kills total
K4
Temp
P51
F4U4
La7
190D

Which unmistakably just so happen to be the fastest planes in the game.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2014, 02:23:34 PM »
P40C isn't on that list  :headscratch:
See Rule #4

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2014, 02:48:05 PM »
I kindda disagree with this.  I used to fly the zero and the spit8 and I would land many times over the kills I do in my ponyd.

semp

Agreed.

The scoring system is slanted heavily towards encouraging turn fighting as opposed to other tactics.  Certainly adds to the "action", but the emersion and simulation aspects are minimized......if you actually care about your score.  I personally don't...which explains why I rarely even pay attention to if I up a plane as "Attack" or "Fighter".  

The past few tours I've upped several times and forgot I was flying as "fighter" when I shot something on the ground or "attack" when killing things in the air.  Example:  I've flown the 110 this month several times and only recently noticed they were all in "attack" mode.    :frown:

What makes it funnier is my hit% and kills per hour are better than my fighter scores in "better" air to air rides....not sure why, to be honest.  :headscratch:
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
[quote author=Zerstorer link=topic=367297.msg4892574#msg4892574 date=1416257285
Agreed.

The scoring system is slanted heavily towards encouraging turn fighting as opposed to other tactics.  Certainly adds to the "action", but the emersion and simulation aspects are minimized......[/quote]

This is not true, it is heavily slanted to those who can get a lot of kills quickly, with good shooting, and land their kills, considering most fly the fastest plane, they can land and get their kills faster. Turn fighting does not workout very well considering it makes you easy to pick.

Like I said those were the top planes flown by the top 9 pilots. Gee I wonder why the 262 has the most kills lol

The top best fighters show to fly the fastest planes in the game, I don't see how you can contradict me on that.

I'm not knacking anyone's style. Just these are what the stats show.

If you don't believe me, grab a ki61, and become top 5 with that plane next tour. Bet you give up half way through?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:16:47 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »
I agree for the most part, but not totally Violator.

In my case, I suck in faster planes (other than the K4, and even then) compared to say the SpitV or Nik, so far as kills/time go.  I've flown little this year, but 4 or 5 out of the first 6 months I flew about 2 hours each month, pretty much just in the SpitV, N1k, and a bit of LA7.  My kill/hour was 10 to 12 for most of these months.  If I was to try and get a high k/h in say a P51 or D9, I'd never be able to equal what I can do with the SpitV or N1k.  It comes down to conditions and strengths/abilities in this department - if there are a lot of fights in the middle or even friendly bases under attack, I can easily get 10+ kills/hour, and replicate that whenever I wish.  I can never say the same in the Mustang, K4, D9, or even La7.

I do agree that overall, for the most part and most players, getting k/h is easier and more consistently possible in a faster plane.  Just not for everyone.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
This.

It's actually harder to get kills in a faster plane (it's a simple matter of physics and angles); however, faster planes (up to a point) increase your ability to survive. So while it's harder to get kills, you typically end up living longer and therefore land more kills over time compared to flying a slower plane. This only fully applies to many vs many combat.

The best planes for kills, from a tactics perspective, are good turning planes with medium airspeed ranges, such as the Spixteen, Spit 8/9, Ki-84, etc.

Rubbish! A faster plane can slow down to make the kill. A slower plane cannot invent speed it does not have.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
I can fly a FW190A8 to a fight and land 15 kills in a 30 minute sortie(which I have) because I was "shooting fish in a barrel", same fight in a KI84 and I can probably squeeze out 10(the most I've landed in single sortie for a KI84).

If I was flying for the other country who would be pretty much getting vulched, I might get lucky and get 2 kills in the A8 prior to landing, but in the KI84 I have a good chance of getting 5.

The score literally does not matter at all, it's very easy to manipulate. It's not a matter of what type of plane your in, it's what type of fight your in.

Snailman style player vs Bruv119 style player.

Snailman is in 152s all the time because he's normally fighting against strat raiders. Bruv flies Spits (because he needs the crutch :aok :aok ) because he normally out front in a furball fighting other spits, KIs, 109s, Dora, ect ect ect everything in a furball.

Both get a lot of kills, switch them around, neither would land very many kills at all....Spit 9 will have problems with the faster fighters at high alt, the lower fighters will chew on the clumsy 152 below 10 K.

If your talking about score, the only number that should be brought up are 1. Dueling Bracket Wins 2. Kills in special events/FSO 3. KOTH/TOC wins. With most of the better sticks in this game none of those really matter because most are just looking for the blooding pumping fight.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"