Author Topic: Carrier Operations Best Practices  (Read 1532 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Carrier Operations Best Practices
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 09:11:53 PM »
The Task group respawns after 10 minutes, not 15. On a lot of maps there are 3 or 4 other task groups already in position to attack another base, I don't think a single country can use them all effectively at the same time.

Of course they cant use them ALL effectively, the horde can only up at one place at a time.  :devil

I understand what your saying, but defending how they throw away CVs in this game is foolish. Hap made a good post to remind people on how best to use a CV AND keep it in play. Running it on to the beach only to lose it stops the attack. using it a bit more wisely maintains the attack to cover more than the single base in that area. Some people would like to see the "resource" of a CV group used to continue an attack rather than just a spot to launch a single attack.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »
One of the biggest issues with CV operations in AH is the lack of  CAP. Once a CV is close to it's target, you will see a conga line of fighter taking off and proceeding straight to the enemy base. Very often not a single fighter is actually trying to protect the CV from bombers coming in from other bases. Even when inbiund bombers have been called out on country channel.
A dozen fighters in the air and their only reaction to incoming 8k bombers is screaming "TURN DA CV!!!!!!!!!!", followed by blaming the poor guy who actually controlled the CV when it didn't work.

So if you can't kill all ords at the surrounding bases (rarely works), try to keep at least 2 fighters on CAP, covering the most likely approaches (which aren't always the direct ones) Stay 10-12k and keep an eye out for the ones on the deck, which are harder to spot from higher altitudes. And don't let a single Jabo drag you all down to the deck - he may sink the CA, but will only kill the CV if it's already almost down (CV regenerates hull damage within 5 minutes). Leave that one for the 5" gunners, but you have to give them precise information about the threat.

That way 2-3 airborne defenders can keep a CV alive for a long time...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 09:44:57 PM »
Of course they cant use them ALL effectively, the horde can only up at one place at a time.  :devil

I understand what your saying, but defending how they throw away CVs in this game is foolish. Hap made a good post to remind people on how best to use a CV AND keep it in play. Running it on to the beach only to lose it stops the attack. using it a bit more wisely maintains the attack to cover more than the single base in that area. Some people would like to see the "resource" of a CV group used to continue an attack rather than just a spot to launch a single attack.

Yeah parking it next to shore and a SB is stupid and wouldn't be worth it I agree, I was talking about what snailman mentioned in that you can keep it in the best spot possible for that area and turn it to avoid bombers but when it gets sunk everyone yells at you (or me at least, happens pretty much every time). People treat it like its worth 1000 perks when you lose it. Just an hour ago 7 f4us dove on a cv and sunk it, meanwhile I shot down 2 and get blamed for "losing the cv" from someone at a different battle... It just gets old ya know.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:49:53 PM by xPoisonx »
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 06:30:48 AM »
Yeah parking it next to shore and a SB is stupid and wouldn't be worth it I agree, I was talking about what snailman mentioned in that you can keep it in the best spot possible for that area and turn it to avoid bombers but when it gets sunk everyone yells at you (or me at least, happens pretty much every time). People treat it like its worth 1000 perks when you lose it. Just an hour ago 7 f4us dove on a cv and sunk it, meanwhile I shot down 2 and get blamed for "losing the cv" from someone at a different battle... It just gets old ya know.

That raises the question of should the person taking command of a CV be able to fly or drive a tank or do anything else other than command the CV?  I have often seen nme bombers approaching a CV group and tried to turn the CV only to discover that someone had command, and was off dog fighting or flying bombers and not even in the general area of the CV for which they had command.  Command of the CV is the only task in the game that allows you to do something else at the same time.  You can't fly bombers and a fighter plane at the same time, you can't drive a GV and fly at the same time, but you can always take control of a CV group no matter what else you are doing.  That's just wrong and should be changed.  If you are not conning the TG you should not be in command.  This would allow anyone to alter the course of the TG when bombers approach or take command and be stationed on the bridge.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 09:43:18 AM »
That raises the question of should the person taking command of a CV be able to fly or drive a tank or do anything else other than command the CV?  I have often seen nme bombers approaching a CV group and tried to turn the CV only to discover that someone had command, and was off dog fighting or flying bombers and not even in the general area of the CV for which they had command.  Command of the CV is the only task in the game that allows you to do something else at the same time.  You can't fly bombers and a fighter plane at the same time, you can't drive a GV and fly at the same time, but you can always take control of a CV group no matter what else you are doing.  That's just wrong and should be changed.  If you are not conning the TG you should not be in command.  This would allow anyone to alter the course of the TG when bombers approach or take command and be stationed on the bridge.

This ^^^^^  is one of my beefs with CV command. If you did not up from it you should not have control.

CVs can be very effective close to shore for sneak attacks when no one ups from CV until the cruiser takes down the town to white flag. Then some cap to protect the incoming lvts can make for a quick capture.  :aok
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.