Author Topic: 190A8 ... what. how, .. & stuff..  (Read 1855 times)

Offline WW1965

• Zinc Member
190A8 ... what. how, .. & stuff..
« on: November 23, 2014, 11:20:31 AM »

Greets all,
  I've been a "jughead" well... forever.. but I got bored the other mornin & flew the A8.. with the "bottom gun package".. the 4 20mm's i think it is..
(30mm's & I just don't get along that well..) .. I was shocked at how well the thing flew.. & how hard those guns hit compared to the 8 .50cals I normally fly..

I'd had heard that of all the 190's, the A8 was the worst.. but I like the way it B&Z's & also it's low level flyin.. it seems to me if it's has just enough fuel & is light & nimble, it's a force to be reckoned with.. kind of like the Jug..

So I'm lookin for some tips on the 190A8.. I have noticed that it's a 'hunter', not really a 'fighter'.. it can fight if its fast.. but if its fighting, it doesn't stay fast for long..

Thanx in advance.. <S>

Wrngway

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: 190A8 ... what. how, .. & stuff..
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »
don't let save see this post..     :lol
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »
FW190a5 is better.

It's faster
It's lighter
It turns tighter
It climbs faster
It flies higher
It hits as hard (just not as long)
It dives as fast
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »
A5 if you want to furball

A8 if you want to BnZ the furball  :t

I've had great fights in both. The A8 is more forgiving as long as you keep your speed up in my mind. That and compared to the A5 (assuming you take the 2 gun package) all you need is guns on for a second to either kill them outright or maim them enough to rtb or get picked off by a friendly. I agree, it can get down and dirty. I remember one sortie having a great low level fight with a La-7. We traded blows multiple times before he went under. I barely made it back to base with the damage, but it was a great fight.

A5 definitely more forgiving in the traditional dogfighting roll, but again assuming 2 gun, takes a bit more to knock down others unless you place your shots really well.

Again this all from my personal experience with both.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »
A5 if you want to furball

A8 if you want to BnZ the furball  

Agreed.

I've been doing A8 penance, lo, these many years.  In a 1 v 1 fight I have yet to figure out how to consistently win with it (assuming I don't simply HO the opponent).  Odd, because it was supposed to be a pretty fearsome opponent in 1944.

So far as I know, the 4x20mm was by far the most common armament.  I've never even tried anything else.

- oldman

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 02:29:42 AM »
don't let save see this post..     :lol
:D

The A8 can be successful in the MA as some good players demonstrate. It just takes very smart flying and a specialized style. Like all 190s it excels when flown with wingmen and not so much in a fair duel. Save and Kovel are expert A8 fliers with different styles. Save usually take the 4 20mm and Kovel is quite impressive with 30mm on board.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:21:53 AM »
In a 1 v 1 fight I have yet to figure out how to consistently win with it (assuming I don't simply HO the opponent).  Odd, because it was supposed to be a pretty fearsome opponent in 1944.

There's your problem.

The 190A-8 is one of the few planes suited for winning head-ons on a consistent basis. That's what was fearsome about it - it was a purely offensive plane that outgunned its opponents severely with tons of armor. Take away the threat of it hitting you front-quarter and it's a fairly unthreatening opponent.

The A8 is one of the worst turning planes in the game (I think it's #2 or #3 in terms of poor performance). Unless you're faster than the plane you're fighting, you have no hopes of winning a 1v1, given both planes are flown as they should be by equally-skilled pilots

The HO minimizes the advantage of faster aircraft (most all of which are also more maneuverable) and maximizes your angular gains during the merge and remerges. The plane was quite literally designed for this tactic, use it to your advantage.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:54:51 AM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
A5 is the best of the 190s. Any one of them flown by an experten makes life difficult for any other bird.

The key is to know the intent of the designer, Kurt Tank. His philosophy was high speed passes, heavy guns that delivered a devastating fire in a short pass, move on. It was designed for boom and zoom. The A8 was the natural progression of this thought, certainly with the 30mm package.

They key is to keep your speed up, with lots of speed in the bank (ie, altitude). Don't turn with anyone, use the WEP thoughtfully. If you get in trouble point your nose down, build up speed and use your roll rate to get the bad guy to overshoot. Also, know the planes you are fighting against. Extreme examples, the A6M5 and 109, both go into compression lock at higher speeds. As they get into compression lock, their ability to roll with you goes to almost nil. Use that against them.

The reason many sticks use the A5 is due to the nature of the MA, where you end up on the deck stall fighting. It outperforms the other 190s, though some like Poison will insist the Ta-152 is the best Butcher Bird in that arena.

The zen of Butcher Bird flying is squad tactics, with 2 or 4 of you. Flown well you will eat everyones lunch.

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 10:50:26 AM »
Stay high and fast, use it primarily for Bomber interception don't even try to dog fight in this plane. Quick swoops for shots and away you go is how to fly it.

And as skyyr said, which I hate to admit, but HOing is a viable tactic for this plane. Whenever I get mad at HOers, I up this plane and go on HOing rampages to retaliate. That can be quite fun!
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 12:05:19 PM »
Greets all,
  I've been a "jughead" well... forever.. but I got bored the other mornin & flew the A8.. with the "bottom gun package".. the 4 20mm's i think it is..
(30mm's & I just don't get along that well..) .. I was shocked at how well the thing flew.. & how hard those guns hit compared to the 8 .50cals I normally fly..

I'd had heard that of all the 190's, the A8 was the worst.. but I like the way it B&Z's & also it's low level flyin.. it seems to me if it's has just enough fuel & is light & nimble, it's a force to be reckoned with.. kind of like the Jug..

So I'm lookin for some tips on the 190A8.. I have noticed that it's a 'hunter', not really a 'fighter'.. it can fight if its fast.. but if its fighting, it doesn't stay fast for long..

Thanx in advance.. <S>

Wrngway

Oh great....now i got to dodge your taters Wrngway    :bhead
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline JUDAS

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
I tried out the A5 last night for the first time....MAN !!!!!  :rock   WHAT A PLANE ILL TELL YOU!

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
I tried out the A5 last night for the first time....MAN !!!!!  :rock   WHAT A PLANE ILL TELL YOU!
I can't hit anything with that POS German crap...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »

You take that back.

You take that back right now.

Then you apologize.

Then you promise never to say it again.

Right NOW young man!
Wag more, bark less.

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 03:28:33 PM »

Did you go 4 gun or 2?  ;)

Offline WW1965

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 04:27:11 AM »
There's your problem.

The 190A-8 is one of the few planes suited for winning head-ons on a consistent basis. That's what was fearsome about it - it was a purely offensive plane that outgunned its opponents severely with tons of armor. Take away the threat of it hitting you front-quarter and it's a fairly unthreatening opponent.

The A8 is one of the worst turning planes in the game (I think it's #2 or #3 in terms of poor performance). Unless you're faster than the plane you're fighting, you have no hopes of winning a 1v1, given both planes are flown as they should be by equally-skilled pilots

The HO minimizes the advantage of faster aircraft (most all of which are also more maneuverable) and maximizes your angular gains during the merge and remerges. The plane was quite literally designed for this tactic, use it to your advantage.

While I have to admit it goes against my 'Code of Valor'  :airplane:  I like the way you think Sir..  :salute