Author Topic: MAJOR stick spiking problems  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
MAJOR stick spiking problems
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:11:05 PM »
So, system specs first:

I'm running a 600W PSU (I don't know the manufacturer)
Saitek X55 Rhino
Saitek ProRudders

My stick is spiking. It's spiking OUT OF CONTROL. Like, EVERY single switch and button thinks it's being activated CONSTANTLY while flying. The stick axes (axises?) are fine, no spiking there, but the rudders tend to jump. It's impossible to play with the level of spiking. I had heard that adding a powered USB hub would help, so I went out and got one today. No improvement. I had been told that using the Saitek profile software sometimes caused this issue, so I deleted the software, and in DCS the problem seemed to be fixed, but in AH it got drastically worse (And I didn't think that was possible). The sticks are less than a month old. What could I possibly do to fix this?!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: MAJOR stick spiking problems
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 06:08:42 PM »
Does the stick spike without the pedals connected?  Can you calibrate the controllers in windows?
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 06:18:13 PM »
As a long time user of multiple X-52s, I experienced spiking at random times.  The solutions ranged from unplugging the joystick, to unplugging both, to using a different slot on the usb hub.  After a computer changeover, I neglected to install the software or even a driver for the X-52.  Now the very same stick that would go haywire on a weekly basis has been solid for months  (hope I didn't just jinx myself).  Also, the X-52 pro I had was spiking on the new computer as well, so maybe you could try removing the driver.  
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »
Does the stick spike without the pedals connected?  Can you calibrate the controllers in windows?

Yes, it still spikes without the rudders.

I can calibrate with the Saitek program. I don't know how one would calibrate in windows, especially calibrating buttons.

As a long time user of multiple X-52s, I experienced spiking at random times.  The solutions ranged from unplugging the joystick, to unplugging both, to using a different slot on the usb hub.  After a computer changeover, I neglected to install the software or even a driver for the X-52.  Now the very same stick that would go haywire on a weekly basis has been solid for months  (hope I didn't just jinx myself).  Also, the X-52 pro I had was spiking on the new computer as well, so maybe you could try removing the driver. 

I've tried all of those as well. I guess I uninstall the drivers next... How do you uninstall a driver?

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 07:51:44 PM »
Hey Serenity.

Google JoyTester2 and download it.

Insure that you don't have any other USB controllers attached to your computer (mouse is okay) if you have a game pad or somesuch...pull it.  Pull the pedals.

JoyTester2 will show you exactly what is going on with the Rhinos.  If it is spiking, call SaitekUSA and tell them you're spiking in JoyTester2.  They will probably send you a new set of sticks after walking you through their diagnostic...which is an uninstall - reinstall - test of the drivers.

The sticks have a two-year warranty from Saitek.  If you bought them from Amazon, you can check your order history, and use the Amazon software to set up a return (broken), then just pack them up and return them.  You will have your new Rhino probably after Christmas.  I have a good set (after one return) and I still think they are worth the teething problems they've had.

You can't fix the sticks if it is hardware causing the spikes.

Question.  Did I understand that you haven't been able to calibrate the Rhino in Windows?

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »
Hey Serenity.

Insure that you don't have any other USB controllers attached to your computer (mouse is okay) if you have a game pad or somesuch...pull it.  Pull the pedals.

JoyTester2 will show you exactly what is going on with the Rhinos.  If it is spiking, call SaitekUSA and tell them you're spiking in JoyTester2.  They will probably send you a new set of sticks after walking you through their diagnostic...which is an uninstall - reinstall - test of the drivers.

The sticks have a two-year warranty from Saitek.  If you bought them from Amazon, you can check your order history, and use the Amazon software to set up a return (broken), then just pack them up and return them.  You will have your new Rhino probably after Christmas.  I have a good set (after one return) and I still think they are worth the teething problems they've had.

Question.  Did I understand that you haven't been able to calibrate the Rhino in Windows?

I haven't tried to calibrate them in windows. I don't actually know how.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »
Hey Serenity.

I downloaded joytester2 and cannot seem to figure it out, nor is there a real website to read up on it online, only a bunch of forum threads of people recommending it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 10:37:42 PM »
Spiking refers to spurious axis commands. Your description of active buttons sounds like a short circuit, bad ground, or a wiring problem.

Look at Devices and Printers in control panel. You should see your joystick. Right click the icon and select game controller settings then properties. This will show you if Windows sees the buttons as activating on their own.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:52:35 PM by FLS »

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »
Spiking refers to spurious axis commands. Your description of active buttons sounds like a short circuit, bad ground, or a wiring problem.

Look at Devices and Printers in control panel. You should see your joystick. Right click the icon and select game controller settings then properties. This will show you if Windows sees the buttons as activating on their own.

Just pulled it up, aaaaannnnddd magically the problem no longer exists, so I cannot diagnose it...

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 01:53:08 AM »
It will return :old:

Powered USB :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 06:03:09 AM »

This helped with my Saitek
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »
So.  I had the same problem with my first Rhino.    Spikes and crazy buttons.  The problem was the windows calibration. I'm sorry JoyTester2 confused you.  It's not friendly, really.  When I started over I did the following -

1.   Installed a powered USB Hub
2.   Deleted the Saitek software and drivers
3.   Removed all controllers other than the mouse
4.   Shut down the computer and restarted with the Rhino plugged in
5.   Went to Devices and Printers in Windows 7
6.   Did a complete calibration of the stick and throttle including the all the rotary knobs
7.   DID NOT HIT THE "APPLY" button at the end.  Fired up Aces High, calibrated normally, and everything worked.
8.   Then I loaded the Saitek programming software
9.   Created a program for Aces High
10.  Re-checked calibration in Windows 7
11.  Began enjoying them and consistent enjoyment ever since.

I didn't write this process down...but I did report it back to Saitek who didn't believe me.  I already had the return in progress when I did this, so I let them give me a new set of sticks (I had one stick button that was sticky).

Honestly I couldn't remember what I did when I responded to you last night.

I hope you have clear sailing from here.

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »

Already done that, to no avail...

So.  I had the same problem with my first Rhino.    Spikes and crazy buttons.  The problem was the windows calibration. I'm sorry JoyTester2 confused you.  It's not friendly, really.  When I started over I did the following -

1.   Installed a powered USB Hub
2.   Deleted the Saitek software and drivers
3.   Removed all controllers other than the mouse
4.   Shut down the computer and restarted with the Rhino plugged in
5.   Went to Devices and Printers in Windows 7
6.   Did a complete calibration of the stick and throttle including the all the rotary knobs
7.   DID NOT HIT THE "APPLY" button at the end.  Fired up Aces High, calibrated normally, and everything worked.
8.   Then I loaded the Saitek programming software
9.   Created a program for Aces High
10.  Re-checked calibration in Windows 7
11.  Began enjoying them and consistent enjoyment ever since.

I didn't write this process down...but I did report it back to Saitek who didn't believe me.  I already had the return in progress when I did this, so I let them give me a new set of sticks (I had one stick button that was sticky).

Honestly I couldn't remember what I did when I responded to you last night.

I hope you have clear sailing from here.

Fantastic, thank you! If it starts ghosting again, I'll try this!

Edit: Problem is back, just tried this, we'll see how it works!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:16:08 PM by Serenity »

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 03:51:23 PM »
No improvement.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
So I spent several hours talking to Saitek's customer service, and after trying everything, we determined that at the very least, the combination of Windows 8.1 and USB 3.0 ports on my computer are to blame. Windows 8 just sucks, and causes these problems. There is no fix at this time, other than to go buy Windows 7.