Author Topic: Support Aces High  (Read 9330 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Just got back... kind of...
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2014, 03:14:16 AM »
Some MIGHT remember me, most won't.

I remember you.  A hearty welcome back!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Support Aces High
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2014, 03:28:38 AM »
I love AH.  To me, it is the greatest game ever created.

I would like to see active area of fighting scaled somehow to number of players (so that we don't have times with huge maps and one guy here, one guy 100 miles away over there, etc.)  I know that was sort of tried with capture order on bases, and it wasn't a success.  I know that lots of people claim to prefer big maps.  But flying when not many people are up gets very thin on the action.  There must be some way to have smaller maps or smaller active areas with there aren't many people up.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2014, 04:40:08 AM »
Wilbus - wow that's a blast from the past, welcome back, great time for you to return, and I agree 100% with your post.  

Wilbus, were you not famous for some of the most popular HTC/AH memes of your picture you put up?  Ha ha ha.  I hope you still have it around, great times.

Regarding the OP and the entire premise here - of course everyone supports HTC, that's what most folks are doing here playing the game, aren't they?  That support doesn't absolve HTC of their responsibility for the current state of things.  Trying to blame declining numbers or a declining game on this outside factor or that one, be it hard times, complex gaming, or aging players, just doesn't wash IMO.  Not when you take Eve as Wilbus explained, or Star Citizen as an example.  SC is just as complex a flight model as we have here in terms of combat, more so, as there is another factor (no gravity) and another axis of rotation involved.  Eve is 5x more complex in terms of features and knowledge/ability required just to even play, let along thrive.

I think the stated fact that updates really slowed over the years, not to mention a much more hostile attitude towards customers - ya ya, I know, but I'll happily put up some copied quotes responding to players in various situations here, and put up similar situations from RSI dealing with players, and it becomes pretty clear that the attitude, policy, and vibe is far, far different.  Instead of hostility, secrecy and being stonewalled, RSI for example goes the other route, with weekly, even daily video updates on the state of things form the owner/CEO and other creators, as well as a lot more positive interaction.

I realize HTC is a lot smaller company, smaller now than when it began even, but who is responsible for that at the end of the day?  It's a choice, reducing the amount of updates and attention put into a product, and the decline in popularity and increase in complaints is a direct result of this.  Since the merging of blue and orange, there has been very little change or updates added to the game - according to Lusche/statsman, nearly 4 years with only a single small adjustment to how the strat system works.  This is unacceptable in today's gaming world.  There are smaller boutique companies out there the same size or even smaller than HTC, with less talent and ability IMO, who are putting out a TON more content updates and the like.

Of course, the immediate response is "but HTC is currently feverishly working on a new update", which is true.  The problem is that it took a long, long time for this to begin, as well as only a very few players have any idea of the state of things with it.  Where is the enthusiasm from HTC?  Again, I compare HTC to RSI in this regard - from HTC we get "you'll see something when there's something to show, until then leave me alone" type of responses, at RSI we get "we're working these new features, x, y, and z, this is how cool they'll be and how they'll work".  I challenge anyone to go to their BBS and find negative posters/complainers, and look at how they are dealt with compared to here.  It's night and day.  

IMO it wouldn't take that large of an adjustment in policy so far as the game and customer relations to win many detractors over.  From the rumblings I've heard, the new version should be a lot of fun, with not just new graphics, but some new features as well.  It's just a matter of a bit more positive approach, and IMO HTC will be just fine, and #s will take care of themselves.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:49:33 AM by Gman »

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2014, 04:52:44 AM »
We lack the data HTC must have to point directly at the demographics.........

The revenue model is very old.

There is undoubtedly a growth in F2P game models across all platforms.

The PC as a  gaming platform for the coming decades is under considerable threat

There is undoubtedly a decline in player numbers.......

The requirement for good graphics are unfortunately a base line for continued business IMO.......

I doubt that good graphics form the hook that keep players playing

I suspect that poor/dated graphics contribute to (newish) players leaving or not staying.

Game play is all IMO.... and access to it!

I believe there should be base level F2P rides that permit role play and game play within the paid arenas. (Jeeps, M3's, Storch, C47 ....indeed some purpose built rides just for F2P{Truck, towed artillery, Po2?}) Ideally these become "targets" for paid players or at least they should be used in a way that enriches gameplay for paid up players.

I believe the game play model should never deny players access to rides......

Change Eny to reflect Perks required.....  don't say no....... just up the price.

Look to terrain models to reduce the need/motivation/ease of field porkage (being unable to fly from the field closest to the action because your hangers are destroyed is demotivating)

Look to terrain models (and objectives) to move combat away from the airfield (being shot down at the end of the runway closest to the action is demotivating)

I believe there should be an easy route to combat..... even if this means breaking some previously held taboos ( Modelling of HQ, Radar, AI, Auto Missions  etc)

I believe there should be multiple routes to "success" ( there are now .... but much more "objective" orientated)

Most importantly there should be other revenue streams......
         I believe that the perk system should have a massive overhaul.  
         It should be a deposit "currency" in constant use within game (not just for the odd ride that may induce game play mis balance)
         It should be such that risk = reward re perks deposited and earned.
         It should be possible to buy perks through the player account....... (the revenue bit)

because whilst change is good........... it usually requires investment.

From a player interface/communication perspective I think there should be more "news". I realise that HTC is basically a "small business model" with limited funds for a massive media presence. However I do believe that there should be much more "news".

It is very exciting to be at the birth of a new gaming enterprise and experience the various updates and changes underway as it grows. Eventually it gets to such a size that "maintenance" starts to take up much more resources than "development" and perceived development slows down. (with it also the excitement quotient also declines)  So I do believe that the "development" should be "bigged up" with plenty of "news".
Ludere Vincere

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2014, 06:24:44 AM »
Papyrus racing was an exciting experience.  As time went on, the amount of time you had to invest in tuning the setup grew exponentially if you wanted to win online races.  Sometimes it was the first person to find the weakness of the simulation(not hacking albeit I would guess there was a small few) then capitalize on that with a trick setup.   These few found winning and attention they got more important than enjoying the experience of a simulation.  The average player just could not keep up with the time money some spent to win by a small minority much like the real world racing.

NASCAR should have forced the licensing of two games.  One a game that looked like a simulation and the other a game based strongly on a simulation.  The gamers would have left the simulation based game as the simulation pinched down on its weak modeling areas and went to the game loosely based on a simulation where they could dominate the rest.

The current HQ problem is a good example.  It is just gamers attack on a weakness in the simulation to get attention.  Fix that and I am sure they will invest their time in finding another weakness until they get bored and move on.

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2014, 07:42:26 AM »
I believe there should be base level F2P rides that permit role play and game play within the paid arenas. (Jeeps, M3's, Storch, C47 ....indeed some purpose built rides just for F2P{Truck, towed artillery, Po2?}) Ideally these become "targets" for paid players or at least they should be used in a way that enriches gameplay for paid up players.

I believe the game play model should never deny players access to rides......

Change Eny to reflect Perks required.....  don't say no....... just up the price.

Look to terrain models to reduce the need/motivation/ease of field porkage (being unable to fly from the field closest to the action because your hangers are destroyed is demotivating)

Look to terrain models (and objectives) to move combat away from the airfield (being shot down at the end of the runway closest to the action is demotivating)

I believe there should be an easy route to combat..... even if this means breaking some previously held taboos ( Modelling of HQ, Radar, AI, Auto Missions  etc)

I believe there should be multiple routes to "success" ( there are now .... but much more "objective" orientated)

:aok  :aok  :aok

I absolutely agree with the idea of F2P with limited plane/vehicle selection. This could be one single type of vehicle/plane from each category (one fighter, one attack, one bomber etc) instead of free 2 weeks trial. My dream (that will propably never happen because of the resources/code issues) is that there would be free to play infantry game built over AH. The games like ww2ol and OFP (series) give this sense of immersion where you actually sit in the storage bay of some transport and then jump as ordered - only to be taken in the middle of combat. This would be huge! Think only how popular the Band of Brothers was and still is! Not to mention that F2P infantry guys would most propably soon rise their heads from the trenches and see dogfights going on, wishing they too had a plane to fight with :lol

But to keep things in perspective. I won't be expecting that any time soon if at all. Just a dream. But in general I agree with above comments.

I do love this game as it is and I too keep paying for it until the servers run dry. But the current decline in player base is worrying me.

On the other hand the finnish "front" of the game has recovered pretty nicely. We have much more active players at the moment than we had the same time last year. Old players have come back and new blood has been recruited to play with us as well. It is a great big bunch of friends having a good time, arranging meetings and capturing bases while drinking 18 years old whiskey :)

I only wish this experience could be transplanted to newcomers, it would be an instant hook! :)

For me, no game platform can top that!
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2014, 07:53:29 AM »

Sure you are.

Now get off my lawn.

- oldman

Are you the same Oldman that used to fly a D9 in AW RR a million years ago before Mute dragged me off to FR, Mute and I grew up together I really am that old, and you're probably no spring chicken either

My first squad in AW RR was Hogan's Heroes, lol with Hogan and Burma and I think HB.  (Mims)
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2014, 08:43:23 AM »
Wrong again. There was a suggestion about advertising on a Canadian dogfight type show. We did with in about 1week of the suggestion.

Well I guess it just hasn't worked.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »
For funding would about a "crowd source" campaign like Kickstarter, etc. It would double as marketing to new clients.

When an airshow is held and 250,000 people show in some backwater place like Podunk, Iowa....okay, Nellis AFB, we've got a ready market.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2014, 09:19:48 AM »
On the other hand the finnish "front" of the game has recovered pretty nicely. We have much more active players at the moment than we had the same time last year. Old players have come back and new blood has been recruited to play with us as well. It is a great big bunch of friends having a good time, arranging meetings and capturing bases while drinking 18 years old whiskey :)

Could you please extend that magic to the general AH population as well?  :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »

Could you please extend that magic to the general AH population as well?  :)

You can find it in the stores. It is called Highland Park 18 years old, but Lagavulin 16 years do pretty much the same thing as well :cheers:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2014, 09:25:30 AM »
You can find it in the stores. It is called Highland Park 18 years old, but Lagavulin 16 years do pretty much the same thing as well :cheers:

I doubt HTC will provide a free bottle of that stuff when signing up for AH  

Or do you mean make them drunk first, then talk them into joining AH? :noid
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2014, 09:30:32 AM »
Or do you mean make them drunk first, then talk them into joining AH? :noid

Thats how we got kiaku enlisted to our ranks!

Look how happy sod he is. We could almost take advant... talk him into flying AH!!!

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »
All I can say is this is a great game, as far as flight modeling and gameplay go. The complaints seem to be coming from those who just want to dogfight or get quick action. That may be part of the game, but, IMHO, not the main criteria for a good game. The game is multi-faceted, and has learning curves for each one. This is a HUGE plus, as it means you have to apply yourself in order to improve. Nothing wrong with that. It SHOULD be that way, there are plenty of worthless games out there that require little learning and no talent. Keep em. I have what I want in this game, as many others probably agree. If more who want an easy game do leave, and I have to pay more, fine. Making the game easier, or more tuned to one facet or the other will kill the spirit and fun of the game. If your attention span is so short, or too many people "run away" or whatever for you....go. Don't let the proverbial hangar doors hit you in the six on your way out!
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline RMrider

• Silver Member
      • http://
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2014, 09:53:43 AM »
Here's my take...

Been playing AH for as long as I can remember, when I first started out the player base was a lot larger than it is now. I took a long break due to military service and now that I've been back for a while I can see all the pros and cons to our current system.

Biggest problem I see is the MA. The MA is nothing more than an arcade, 3 countries, 3 separate hordes trying to take enough bases faster than the other horde.

AH needs an objective, a real war. Went into the SEA for SEC Sunday, there was 12 of us at the peak. How can thins like that not attract more people? FSO, SEC, snapshots, those are what make AH the greatest game I've bet played, sadly they are all run by the customers though. The MA needs to be designed more like the SEA arenas.

Set up two main arenas, European theater and Pacific theater. That way there is only axis vs allies, I mean if not for that what are we playing for? I don't want to shoot down other 190s in the Main Arenas I want to fight against Allied aircraft. Granted there are plants of Spit 16 dweebs but it's not the same. We need real world maps in the Mains, 2 sides, 1 war.

If people logged on and saw the allies were bombing Berlin or the Germans were bombing London they would be more intrigue to play and fight. It gives the game a certain realism, immersion, if not for that then go play IL2.

IMHO the only thing we need to the game other than more frequent additions of historical (necessary) A/C and updates to those A/C, is 2 arenas, real historical arenas. These arenas with have rotational maps, western front, eastern front, pacific, hell lets get Africa and Italy involved, WW2 was enormous lets being It back to life.

Just my .02

MDStampf - JG11 'Sonderstaffel'
Sgt Stampfli, USMC