Author Topic: AH is Family Friendly (Circa 1981)  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
AH is Family Friendly (Circa 1981)
« on: December 27, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »
I don't see how this helps the business.

I do see how it hurts the business.

I'm in my mid 30's and I feel that Aces High is overly family friendly.  I understand that this is Dale's game to do with as he pleases but I don't think that Dale understands that most people outside of Texas like to express themselves at least a little more than we are currently allowed.

I would also like to point out that I have not heard a child's voice in game since about 2010.

I find it ironic that we are encouraged to shoot virtual bullets into virtual pilots but our language can't be any coarser than the word 'Heck or Dang' because that would be obscene.

People who play MMO's have certain expectations, like being able to swear without something equivalent to a nun immediately hitting our hands with a yard stick.

:cheers:
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
Re: AH is Family Friendly (Circa 1981)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
And I just thought of a compromise that I don't feel is actually fair, but is fair enough to some extent.

Add radio channels in the 300 range and allow us to speak freely on those.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 02:40:48 PM »
I don't see how this helps the business.

I like having some civility and think this does help the business.

I do see how it hurts the business.

Maybe this game isn't for everyone then, not much of a surprise

I'm in my mid 30's and I feel that Aces High is overly family friendly.  I understand that this is Dale's game to do with as he pleases but I don't think that Dale understands that most people outside of Texas like to express themselves at least a little more than we are currently allowed.

People in Texas aren't the same as the rest of the USA and you don't think Dale understands, got it.

I would also like to point out that I have not heard a child's voice in game since about 2010.

Maybe not a very young child but I've heard 11 year old's, 13 year old's and I don't think a free for all would work well with their parents overhearing or seeing the horrible language you seem to think is ok.

I find it ironic that we are encouraged to shoot virtual bullets into virtual pilots but our language can't be any coarser than the word 'Heck or Dang' because that would be obscene.

They aren't real bullets and no one really dies so maybe we dont need real swear words and "heck or Dang" will suffice.

People who play MMO's have certain expectations, like being able to swear without something equivalent to a nun immediately hitting our hands with a yard stick.

I wouldn't know about that because this is the only one I play but my expectations were the rules were there to, again, keep it civil and reasonable and be able to be enjoyed by all.  Do you really need to swear to enjoy the game?

(Image removed from quote.)
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 02:45:07 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 02:41:45 PM »
Im 56 years old and don't feel the need to swear at all. Sounds like you may have an issue and it might be time to grow up.  :angel:

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »
I appreciate your humor and the sincerity of your opinion.

That said, there's an assumption you're making about kids in the game that causes me to be thoughtful.

HTC sponsored communications in game is a thorny thing.  While it is very convenient for subscribers (we'll let it go at that), it brings with it a can of worms that is simply 'censorship'.  HTC is now in charge of defining what is offensive as part of the communications capability.  Our friends in War Thunder didn't bother with in-game vox because F2P isn't supposed to have 'unpleasantness' as a rule.  A lot of people in that space will use Ventrillo or TeamSpeak and there is no mandate to protect the sensibility of all participants.

When I had a 7-year old, he was not allowed to listen to the snarls and swearing that sometimes accompanied what might otherwise be a 'good time' in the arenas.

When he was 15 I kind of snuck him in and showed him his personal bar of soap.  My son represents the "customer to be" in Aces High.  Those are the dots I'm trying to connect (not very well).

I would like to see more kids in the game, not fewer.  They are quite literally the future of the franchise.  If I can only swear on Squadron Vox or TeamSpeak, it's a small price to pay.

With respect,

:salute

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »
So basically what your saying is you have no self control.

How would the game be more fun by being able to swear?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »
Sorry, I don't see any benefit from this idea.
-AoM-

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »
So basically what your saying is you have no self control.

How would the game be more fun by being able to swear?

Perfectly stated.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 03:59:57 PM »
 :old: dang!

xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 04:06:09 PM »
Im 56 years old and don't feel the need to swear at all. Sounds like you may have an issue and it might be time to grow up.  :angel:

^This. :salute

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »
diddly this toejam  bigtoe amazinhunk  :bhead
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 04:18:19 PM »
I have self control.  But this is not an elementary school or a church.

In my opinion we should at least be able to talk like we're at the DMV when on vox.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 04:23:52 PM »
I have self control.  But this is not an elementary school or a church.

In my opinion we should at least be able to talk like we're at the DMV when on vox.

Then get on teamspeak or a coms program, there's not one danged thing wrong with family friendly, shows that you have a little intelligence.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »

You can speak all you want on your squad channel.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 04:31:34 PM »

I'm 60 years old and at times swear like a sailor (or paratrooper, cop, pilot, etc),  but in the company of others I comply with the basic rules of courtesy and keep my language clean.

Folks perhaps need to mature, learn some manners, increase their vocabulary or use Vent or Teamspeak.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"