Author Topic: my FR sucks!!!  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Dimebag

• Nickel Member
my FR sucks!!!
« on: December 27, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »
I have a new rig:

i7 4790 4.0 ghz
single gtx970 4gb
8gb ram
win 7 64bit
evga 750w power supply
1tb
128gb apotop sats 3 6.0gb SSD
(if more computer info would help, let me know and I will get it)

and a new monitor 1920x1080 @ 60hz

and at times the game drags---clicking fields takes a second or two to load and move you there, FR drops from 59 on the runway alone to low 30s when fires/smoke/lots of users are near by.  maybe lower, I just haven't seen it.   it gets really crappy and very noticeable. 

my internet sucks at home.  we have dsl but my DL and UL is ridiculously slow.  3.5 mbps down and .50 up.   yes, point five zero

could the suckfest internet cause drag and sub par frames?  it doesn't seem like it would but that's why im here asking.   I just got this computer 3 weeks ago and am extremely unimpressed with it.   I came from a 2 core and a 9500gt with no eye candy on just to run the game without chopping to above and just thought this new rig would be perfect...thought I should have NO problem running full graphics and that's just not the case.  and I think with what I have I should be able to run full graphics, maybe im wrong and am here to figure that out.

I did manage to get a virus (off a link on this site while trying to download sounds) after the computer was only a week old.   I have since removed it but don't know if that could have done damage or is still somehow effecting my graphics..

any help is appreciated
dime

Dimebag
CO of the Black Tooth Grin
Black Attack!!!

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: my FR sucks!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 04:23:39 PM »
Internet doesn't play any part in FPS. I have a 0.5 (at best) MB/s download speed and I can still play pretty much any game at 60FPS.

Are you by any chance turning that reflective skin option up? If I remember correctly even having that up 1 notch uses up a TON of video power.

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 04:27:38 PM »
What do your background running processes look like?
-AoM-

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 04:28:22 PM »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 10:34:11 PM »
Dimebag, got a single 970 also, my settings graphic wise are:
Environment map - set to None.
Smooth Shadow - disabled
Other than that, everything else is on, and I get a fr of 60 consistently - my machine is using a 1st gen i7, so not quite as powerful as yours.

hope this helps.

Wurz

I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 03:41:46 AM »
Most obvious culprits have been brought up, so this is more like a sum up:

You said you had a virus which you got rid of. It can be possible that you have other kinds of malware which don't fall into the virus category but still can use resources in a way that can cause symptoms of the type you've described. Your background processes might show some of them as Scotch suggested. In a clean install of Windows 7 there should be about 40 processes running, +/-5 depending on the antivirus you're using. If you have automatic updates on for your <brand> computer, printer, FlashPlayer, Adobe Reader, Adobe Air, Java, Google, Antivirus, Windows there's constantly something using your computer and connection to other purposes than the game you want to play, causing slowdowns and hiccups.

Your internet is perfectly good for AH if it's stable. AH is built so that you can play it with a dialup modem which has a maximum speed of .056 mbps both ways. Of course if your family members are constantly downloading small irregular packages like watching YouTube while you're playing it will affect the stability of your connection, especially if you're all using WiFi. In any case a cable connecting your computer to the router is more reliable than wlan. Other than that, look at the ling BaldEagl suggested.

As Wurz and Latrobe said, the reflections will eat your video card alive. The environment map slider is the major resource hog. Set it to None for fighting, use it if you want to make a film about the cockpit.

Yet one thing that hasn't been mentioned: Disable Power Management for your USB devices. If you have a delay when clicking a field on the clipboard map it may be due to Windows having shut down your USB mouse because of it being unused for several minutes!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:53:54 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 04:55:10 AM »
hopefully the new AH will make good use of monster PC's cause right now it's just wasted money.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 06:55:04 AM »
If your framerates suck with that setup you have something seriously wrong going there. Turn off the environmental reflections slider it only eats up resources and gives practically no visual improvement in the game.

If I were you I would do a total reinstall of windows after a virus infection. You may think you got rid of it - stress the word think.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Dimebag

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »
thanks for all the replies

latrobe's slider trick did good.  I was on full and turned it off and things seem a lot smoother now.

I just turned the computer on for the first time today and have 70-75 processes running, and of those there's about 30 listed on the slider.
cpu usage 3%
physical memory 23%

so reinstall windows? or is there any other fix for this
Dimebag
Black Attack!!!

Offline Dimebag

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »
I closed ie and dropped to 67 processes
0%
and 20%

if that matters
Dimebag
Black Attack!!!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »
As MrRipley said, a total clean reinstall is the fool proof way to get rid of all viruses. There's many types of viruses, though, most of stuff called viruses are more annoying than really harmful - the most dangerous viruses being so highly optimized they shouldn't affect your gameplay at all!

As for your background processes, could you send us a copy of the list? One easy way is to use the Command Prompt, or Run or even the Search Box in the Start menu right above the Start Orb, simply copying and pasting the following line:

wmic /output:%userprofile%\desktop\process.txt process get description,executablepath

The result will be a text file containing your process information, which you can then copy here.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
As MrRipley said, a total clean reinstall is the fool proof way to get rid of all viruses. There's many types of viruses, though, most of stuff called viruses are more annoying than really harmful - the most dangerous viruses being so highly optimized they shouldn't affect your gameplay at all!

As for your background processes, could you send us a copy of the list? One easy way is to use the Command Prompt, or Run or even the Search Box in the Start menu right above the Start Orb, simply copying and pasting the following line:

wmic /output:%userprofile%\desktop\process.txt process get description,executablepath

The result will be a text file containing your process information, which you can then copy here.

I also have 72 processes running. Here is my list:
Description             ExecutablePath                                                                 
System Idle Process                                                                                   
System                                                                                                 
smss.exe                                                                                               
csrss.exe                                                                                             
wininit.exe                                                                                           
csrss.exe                                                                                             
winlogon.exe                                                                                           
services.exe                                                                                           
lsass.exe                                                                                             
lsm.exe                                                                                               
svchost.exe                                                                                           
svchost.exe                                                                                           
MsMpEng.exe                                                                                           
svchost.exe                                                                                           
svchost.exe                                                                                           
svchost.exe                                                                                           
svchost.exe                                                                                           
svchost.exe                                                                                           
svchost.exe                                                                                           
spoolsv.exe                                                                                           
svchost.exe                                                                                           
officeclicktorun.exe                                                                                   
HPSIsvc.exe                                                                                           
IpOverUsbSvc.exe                                                                                       
CommandService.exe                                                                                     
mfds.exe                                                                                               
svchost.exe                                                                                           
svchost.exe                                                                                           
lservnt.exe                                                                                           
taskhost.exe            C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe                                               
sqlwriter.exe                                                                                         
svchost.exe                                                                                           
taskeng.exe             C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe                                               
mfcesd.exe                                                                                             
taskeng.exe                                                                                           
itype.exe               C:\Program Files\Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center\itype.exe                 
ipoint.exe              C:\Program Files\Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center\ipoint.exe               
dwm.exe                 C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe                                                   
Core Temp.exe                                                                                         
explorer.exe            C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE                                                       
RAVCpl64.exe            C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe                               
msseces.exe             C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe                         
SkyDrive.exe            C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SkyDrive\SkyDrive.exe                   
googledrivesync.exe     C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe                       
SpyderUtility.exe       C:\Program Files (x86)\Datacolor\Spyder4Pro\Utility\SpyderUtility.exe         
ONENOTEM.EXE            C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONENOTEM.EXE                 
IAStorIcon.exe          C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe 
Monitor.exe             C:\Program Files (x86)\LeapFrog\LeapFrog Connect\Monitor.exe                   
jusched.exe             C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe               
googledrivesync.exe     C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe                       
SLSTaskbar.exe          C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\SLSTaskbar.exe     
SLSTaskbar64.exe        C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\SLSTaskbar64.exe   
CSISYNCCLIENT.EXE       C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE15\CSISYN~1.EXE                           
SearchIndexer.exe                                                                                     
NisSrv.exe                                                                                             
svchost.exe                                                                                           
svchost.exe                                                                                           
wmpnetwk.exe                                                                                           
svchost.exe                                                                                           
armsvc.exe                                                                                             
svchost.exe                                                                                           
IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe                                                                                   
svchost.exe                                                                                           
jucheck.exe             C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jucheck.exe               
atiesrxx.exe                                                                                           
atieclxx.exe                                                                                           
TrustedInstaller.exe                                                                                   
MOM.exe                 C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe                         
CCC.exe                 C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe                         
audiodg.exe                                                                                           
taskeng.exe                                                                                           
WmiPrvSE.exe                                                                                           
palemoon.exe            C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe                                       
cmd.exe                 C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe                                                   
conhost.exe             C:\Windows\system32\conhost.exe                                               
WMIC.exe                C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\WMIC.exe                                             
SearchProtocolHost.exe                                                                                 
SearchFilterHost.exe                                                                                   

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 01:25:46 PM »
The executable path was missing on several key processes which are commonly used as virus names. Try running the Nod32 online scan for starters: http://www.eset.com/int/home//products/online-scanner/

Also your explorer.exe filename seems a bit weird, try starting cmd with administrator rights and run sfc /scannow
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:30:23 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 01:44:25 PM »
As MrRipley suggests, run a scan for a "second opinion" to find out your computer's health. It never hurts to do so.

As for your list, I couldn't find anything clearly dangerous, but there were items I'd try to get rid of. Many, possibly most of them can be disabled from their settings or by modifying their installations in Control Panel->Programs and Features (like the ati/AMD controllers, only the drivers are needed). Some of them have to be either disabled or set to manual (which I prefer for functionality) in the Services console. None of the processes I've listed should be needed for playing AH or running Windows, but you should check each for yourself before changing anything permanently. Google is your friend in determining what each of the processes does.

An easy way for testing is to shut them down in the Task Manager: If something goes wrong a reboot will fix it. You can even make a batch file of your preferred list to shut them down prior gaming with one double-click. Here's what I would get rid of in my computer, at least during playing:

armsvc.exe
atieclxx.exe
atiesrxx.exe  
CCC.exe
CommandService.exe
Core Temp.exe
CSISYNCCLIENT.EXE
CSISYNCCLIENT.EXE
googledrivesync.exe
googledrivesync.exe
HPSIsvc.exe
IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe
IAStorIcon.exe
ipoint.exe
IpOverUsbSvc.exe
itype.exe
jucheck.exe
jusched.exe
lservnt.exe
mfcesd.exe
mfds.exe
MOM.exe
Monitor.exe
officeclicktorun.exe
ONENOTEM.EXE
SearchFilterHost.exe
SearchIndexer.exe
SearchIndexer.exe
SearchProtocolHost.exe
SkyDrive.exe
SLSTaskbar.exe
SLSTaskbar.exe
SLSTaskbar64.exe
SLSTaskbar64.exe
SpyderUtility.exe
sqlwriter.exe

@MrRipley, explorer.EXE looks exactly the same in my list. For some reason especially Microsoft programs have capital lettering in odd places. It might be an accidental caps lock while saving, no one caring enough to fix it. Run the script I provided in your computer for reference.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:54:32 PM by Bizman »

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
As MrRipley suggests, run a scan for a "second opinion" to find out your computer's health. It never hurts to do so.

As for your list, I couldn't find anything clearly dangerous, but there were items I'd try to get rid of. Many, possibly most of them can be disabled from their settings or by modifying their installations in Control Panel->Programs and Features (like the ati/AMD controllers, only the drivers are needed). Some of them have to be either disabled or set to manual (which I prefer for functionality) in the Services console. None of the processes I've listed should be needed for playing AH or running Windows, but you should check each for yourself before changing anything permanently. Google is your friend in determining what each of the processes does.

An easy way for testing is to shut them down in the Task Manager: If something goes wrong a reboot will fix it. You can even make a batch file of your preferred list to shut them down prior gaming with one double-click. Here's what I would get rid of in my computer, at least during playing:

armsvc.exe
atieclxx.exe
atiesrxx.exe  
CCC.exe
CommandService.exe
Core Temp.exe
CSISYNCCLIENT.EXE
CSISYNCCLIENT.EXE
googledrivesync.exe
googledrivesync.exe
HPSIsvc.exe
IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe
IAStorIcon.exe
ipoint.exe
IpOverUsbSvc.exe
itype.exe
jucheck.exe
jusched.exe
lservnt.exe
mfcesd.exe
mfds.exe
MOM.exe
Monitor.exe
officeclicktorun.exe
ONENOTEM.EXE
SearchFilterHost.exe
SearchIndexer.exe
SearchIndexer.exe
SearchProtocolHost.exe
SkyDrive.exe
SLSTaskbar.exe
SLSTaskbar.exe
SLSTaskbar64.exe
SLSTaskbar64.exe
SpyderUtility.exe
sqlwriter.exe

Note that disabling some of these executables lead to losing some keyboard functionality possibly and other side effects. You should probably not have MS SQL server running on your computer in the first place - or are you doing the big boo-boo of using your work computer for games?