Author Topic: Players perspective on what must be done to win a map  (Read 827 times)

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Players perspective on what must be done to win a map
« on: January 16, 2015, 06:51:33 PM »
A nice how to thread for any new players or not so new players on what can they do to support the war effort in late war arena.  I will chime in from time to time but I want to get the community involved in this. Just give us your take on how a player can support his/her country win the war and what you do for success. From strat runs and defense to ground assaults and missions.
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Players perspective on what must be done to win a map
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
Horde up in an neverending series of P-38 smash&grabs until the map is won. Don't forget to switch fronts & targets frequently, as you don't want to get slowed down by defense showing up. Also ignore everything else, for maximum efficiency.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 07:19:17 PM »
Horde up in an neverending series of P-38 smash&grabs until the map is won. Don't forget to switch fronts & targets frequently, as you don't want to get slowed down by defense showing up. Also ignore everything else, for maximum efficiency.
Highly effective when the arena is packed. See a lot of this from the bishops. Alchemist squadron has this mastered. Heavy 38's with canons very effective choice although quite annoying to their opponents when horded.

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »
A respectable player that has the ability to coordinate and makes other players to follow him/her.
Most attacks that stall is because of lack of coordination or people not bringing the "right" plane to the attack. (ex light fighters when jabos are needed or not having troops ready)

Ports, V-bases and small airfields are probably best taken by dropping all hangars and killing remaining defenders, larger airfields by killing VH, deacking and vulching the field to prevent planes/Gv:s from attacking troops.
(or a NOE smash and grab mission before anyone can react)

Bombing City and AAA strats helps a lot, its very hard to defend bases if they are WF/deacked 60+ Min's and especially if several bases are deacked and WF at the same time. (City should not be bombed below 50% or else the captured town stays WF for too long time after capture and gives the enemy a chance to retake it)
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 08:42:50 PM »
Highly effective when the arena is packed. See a lot of this from the bishops. Alchemist squadron has this mastered. Heavy 38's with canons very effective choice although quite annoying to their opponents when horded.

I believe Lusche was being sarcastic with his reply. While what he said DOES work it is the melted down version of the game. Players migrating to the quickest, easiest way to win the war.

Many older/long time players believe that the journey is more important that the end result. A lot of players have been here a long time and have done all the "easy" stuff. My old squad, "The 444th Air Mafia" had a plan called the "Lightning Strike". CO or air boss for that night would call out a base and that it was a Lightning strike and the squad would meet and grab our 38. NOE to the base in question and capture it in nothing flat, from DAR ring to capture in minutes. But after awhile you realize that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. Grabbing base after base like that soon became very boring.

Many players are looking for more. Avoid the hordes and grab a base with 8-10 guys, heck just fight over a base just trying to keep the defenders down enough to slip a goon or M3 in. To many are so hell bent on grabbing the next base they forget to play the game.

A respectable player that has the ability to coordinate and makes other players to follow him/her.
Most attacks that stall is because of lack of coordination or people not bringing the "right" plane to the attack. (ex light fighters when jabos are needed or not having troops ready)

Ports, V-bases and small airfields are probably best taken by dropping all hangars and killing remaining defenders, larger airfields by killing VH, deacking and vulching the field to prevent planes/Gv:s from attacking troops.

Bombing City and AAA strats helps a lot, its very hard to defend bases if they are WF/deacked 60+ Min's and especially if several bases are deacked and WF at the same time. (City should not be bombed below 50% or else the captured town stays WF for too long time after capture and gives the enemy a chance to retake it)

While this all sounds nice, it will not happen as you would like to see it. Many players couldn't care less for the "war" and so will continue to bring the wrong planes that are light because they are there to shoot some guys down, NOT bomb buildings. Dropping hangars kills fights so many won't do that either. Flying for hours to drop the city to get longer down time is also meaningless to many of these guys because, again they are only there to shoot other guys down.

If you want to help out the "war effort", go right ahead. Watch for planned missions and either join actively, or just tag along. Learn to watch the map. It won't take you long to see the difference in a fight that is for a capture as compared to one where most people are just furballing. This is a game, have fun! If your idea of fun is to fly a buff for hours avoiding rad rings to bomb the city, go for it, but do it because it's FUN not because it helps your "team".

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 08:58:53 PM »
It was an answer to:
A nice how to thread for any new players or not so new players on what can they do to support the war effort in late war arena.  I will chime in from time to time but I want to get the community involved in this. Just give us your take on how a player can support his/her country win the war and what you do for success. From strat runs and defense to ground assaults and missions.

I didnt said i´m doing it all the time (i´m not) I rather avoid the big hordes as its rarley gives me anything.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 10:10:35 PM »
Winning the map is of no importance to me, I certainly don't log on to play AH with the intention of winning a map.  If I'm playing with some fellows who need the winz so they can sleep that night, I'll be glad to help out however I am able.  I log on and check to see where I am needed defensively (anti-horde operations), or what needs some per-emptive lovin' (ord bunkers destroyed, etc). THEN I look for the offensive operations.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 10:16:04 PM »
I am the same as SmokinLoon - I play to fly and fight virtual fighter planes.  I do not care about the map.

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 10:54:45 PM »

Lack of coordination kills most advances. Out of sync waves of attack draw out base takes to the point of stalling where people eventually give up.

Rolling a port, vbase,  or small airfield moderately defended is possible with three players coordinating shutdown of hanger, de ak-vulch, wf/de-ack town. Troops can be grabbed or requested once those 3 are accomplished. It's not easy and gets messy when things don't go according to plan but it's possible.

Strat running is a slow process and most players don't have the patience for it but your right success is increased with +60 mins of downtime. Ammo factory's are critical and most over looked factory in the game. When a field or group of fields have no ords along a front you don't have to defend it like you would otherwise if down times are down for less than 60 minutes. 1 set of buffs dropping factory another set can pork 3-4 different bases in one run.

AAA and City need to go hand in hand. I agree city needs to be around 50%. This requires 1 set of 29's or 2 set of lancs. It's easy for 1 set of buffs to drop AAA below 40%. One of my favorite things to do is up 29's for 2-3 hour run. 1 run is all that is needed to change the flow on a front. I like to get city to 70% AAA under 40% and ords under 60%. To me it's worth it to invest that kind of time especially if I'm home and can play but also go AFK for periods of time.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:04:04 PM by Wizz »

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 10:56:56 PM »
Winning the map is of no importance to me, I certainly don't log on to play AH with the intention of winning a map.  If I'm playing with some fellows who need the winz so they can sleep that night, I'll be glad to help out however I am able.  I log on and check to see where I am needed defensively (anti-horde operations), or what needs some per-emptive lovin' (ord bunkers destroyed, etc). THEN I look for the offensive operations.

Numbers change the tide of battle. Some of the best furballs start as attacks that stall both on the ground or in the air. Here you will encounter some of the best sticks in the game. These types of players can dictate success or failure based on their random influence in any situation.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:02:16 PM by Wizz »

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 11:15:52 PM »
There's a ground war in this game? How novel.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 05:08:08 AM »

The only annoying part of these particular raids is upping before they have all augured. The only ones left to fight by then are the runstangs that were afraid to get in anything else.

Now missions like raynos and latrobe were running last night, those are effective missions. They don't win the war but they make the game an enjoyable experience. Tie in those types of missions with base taking (see the hundred trrop drop pic) and base taking could be entertaing for sure.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 05:32:08 AM »
Pork AAA, Ammo, and City.

De-ack target base.

Nail VH.

Nail ord if CV op.

Destroy town and town ack.

Leave hangars up (my preference)

Lots of fun.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 06:50:51 AM »
Roll a fighter and shoot down as many enemy planes as you can until the war is won.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 07:06:45 AM »
The only annoying part of these particular raids is upping before they have all augured. The only ones left to fight by then are the runstangs that were afraid to get in anything else.

Now missions like raynos and latrobe were running last night, those are effective missions. They don't win the war but they make the game an enjoyable experience. Tie in those types of missions with base taking (see the hundred trrop drop pic) and base taking could be entertaing for sure.

Not to mention the Vaasa cons 'run' mission. That was enjoyable.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone