Author Topic: Players to admire  (Read 23504 times)

Offline Pepprr

• Nickel Member
Re: Players to admire
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2015, 04:04:48 PM »

What is mind boggling to me is how poor your comprehension skills are.  Everyone has stated repeatedly that you are welcome to fly any way you want.

So why continue to argue about it. 

The thread is about people in the game that are admired.  No matter how desperate you are to be admired, you can't demand that other people admire you.

People in the AH community are admired for any number of reasons, mainly for how they present themselves, what they contribute to the game and in how they treat other players.

Your defensiveness over the way you fly and your ad nauseum attempts to convince others of the virtue with which you fly is beyond sad at this point.  Personally I've reached the point of pitying you as your self worth seems very poor.

You can claim to be the greatest cartoon pilot in the history of flight sims, but what you've contributed to the AH community from what I've seen is nothing.  The latest and greatest self proclaimed AH gods come and go.  I can't think of a single one of them I've admired for thier scoring or style of play.   There are a number of them I've admired for the way they approached and played the game however.  Keep in mind style of play and how one plays the game are two different things.

I hope you figure that out some day.  Until then you are just another set of pixels in the arena. 

:aok    :salute

~AoM~

SSACIFMTSHU 
My vids :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk0db9fARH0

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2015, 04:47:10 PM »
Profile>personal message options>ignore list :aok

Thanks Mar  :cheers:
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »
Any time! :cheers:
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2015, 05:25:22 PM »
More importantly it works better in the game..   :aok

Midway used to be the only player I squelched as soon as I logged in, or forgetting to do so the very first time I saw his name in the text buffer. Made the AH experience a thousand times better.

This clown has recently become instant squelch #2. Gonna have to add him to the ignore list here in the forums as well.

:aok
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #439 on: February 01, 2015, 07:03:39 PM »
The players I admire most are many, they are also the ones who do not define how others should play based on their own personal expectations, or judge them for failing the standards that they often fail to achieve themselves.
This is a thread that got way off track, perhaps because someone didn't see their name in lights and got their ego bruised :)  Typical, this is why we can't have nice things, someone always insists on peeing on the carpet.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #440 on: February 01, 2015, 07:11:57 PM »
vDallas and Midway.
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #441 on: February 01, 2015, 07:21:06 PM »
This is a thread that got way off track, perhaps because someone didn't see their name in lights and got their ego bruised :)  Typical, this is why we can't have nice things, someone always insists on peeing on the carpet.

ROC, Aces High has a small vocal minority of narcissistic Richard Craniums out there that are not helping the community at all. Fortunately, they tend to implode under the massive gravitational pull of their ego and get banned eventually. We lost one this past week, but unfortunately there are more out there.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #442 on: February 01, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
Recent posts bring up an interesting point -  I would "admire" a player who donated hardware, subscription fees, his time in the training arena, and so on, much more, and long before, I would "admire" somebody with the ability to win duels or be ranked #1.  That said, there is nothing wrong with admiring skill in the game, but attitude and generosity should both rank above skill IMO.  I think many (certainly not all considering who just started posting in the thread this week) probably feel the same.  There is also a number of players who do all the above - demonstrate great skill, take time to help others, have a great, friendly attitude, and donate hardware/sub fees.  

I think it was Big R that just recently posted, giving away a decent video card after upgrading, plus he's excellent in the P51, so he gets my nod for player of the week.

i just gave away 2 23in monitors.  does that make me have honor?  nope.  I have also given away  firefighter, x52 stick, ram , cpu.  also helped a fellow flier get back on his feet.  he stayed with me a couple of months and I helped him with a couple of hundred bucks.

does that mean i have honor?  I dont think so, and specially I will never get honor playing a stupid cartoon game.

honor is when you look back and smile as you help somebody else.  I perhaps have looked back and smiled a couple of times, but I am not different than anybody else.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #443 on: February 01, 2015, 07:59:31 PM »
Honor....no but it is admirable, and since that's what the thread is about.....well :aok
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #444 on: February 01, 2015, 08:14:30 PM »
i just gave away 2 23in monitors.  does that make me have honor?  nope.  I have also given away  firefighter, x52 stick, ram , cpu.  also helped a fellow flier get back on his feet.  he stayed with me a couple of months and I helped him with a couple of hundred bucks.

does that mean i have honor?  I dont think so, and specially I will never get honor playing a stupid cartoon game.

honor is when you look back and smile as you help somebody else.  I perhaps have looked back and smiled a couple of times, but I am not different than anybody else.

semp

Agree 100%:aok
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Threeup

• Copper Member
« Reply #445 on: February 01, 2015, 08:40:46 PM »

What is mind boggling to me is how poor your comprehension skills are.  Everyone has stated repeatedly that you are welcome to fly any way you want.

So why continue to argue about it. 

The thread is about people in the game that are admired.  No matter how desperate you are to be admired, you can't demand that other people admire you.

People in the AH community are admired for any number of reasons, mainly for how they present themselves, what they contribute to the game and in how they treat other players.

Your defensiveness over the way you fly and your ad nauseum attempts to convince others of the virtue with which you fly is beyond sad at this point.  Personally I've reached the point of pitying you as your self worth seems very poor.

You can claim to be the greatest cartoon pilot in the history of flight sims, but what you've contributed to the AH community from what I've seen is nothing.  The latest and greatest self proclaimed AH gods come and go.  I can't think of a single one of them I've admired for thier scoring or style of play.   There are a number of them I've admired for the way they approached and played the game however.  Keep in mind style of play and how one plays the game are two different things.

I hope you figure that out some day.  Until then you are just another set of pixels in the arena. 

Um.........................ye ah - that just about says it all.
The Mighty Raw Prawns

"It's all good fun until someone loses an eye" Rooster Cogburn

http://youtu.be/pxM8XB61ZvU

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #446 on: February 01, 2015, 10:06:08 PM »
I would like to amend my earlier nomination.

In addition to JUDAS who is one hell of a good stick and a good sport win or loose, I would like to include:

Lilmak- Anytime I have a question he probably has the answer. He is not just helpful with questions but is also willing to help you train and offer his input on where improvement can be made. He also sent me his old x52 after he replaced it which finally gave me the button count that I needed to push my plane harder.

Latrobe- He sent me his old graphics card (that's still not installed because of the inferior PSU...  :bhead). And, whether good or usually bad, he encourages me to do the kinds of stupid shenanigans that cause me to loose 700 perks in the course of an hour and have an absolute blast doing it. He's also right there with me during these purging sessions (when he can afford it).

Raynos- For the same reasons as Latrobe more or less, though I think his exposure to the P-39 may have made him delusional...  :noid

Greebo- For selflessly giving up so much of his free time to create so many of the beautiful skin we have in game.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #447 on: February 01, 2015, 11:48:27 PM »

semp

You are in part wrong. As giving away those things and doing those things were in fact honorable acts. Those acts being virtuous and worthy of praise and/or respect. Having honor has also something to do with character
"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Henry Clay

Honor is in doing things you dont have to.(such as you did) And sometimes by showing respect by not doing things just because you can.
Honor is in the way you conduct yourself.
Honor is about self sacrifice for the good or betterment of others. This is why we hold our soldiers in such high esteem and recognize them to have honor.
But  While our military personnel deserves a a very high degree of honor for their self sacrifice. Honor is not exclusive to them. You do not have to be a soldier or in the military to have honor or to behave honorably.
Honor and behaving honorably. It is not only about fighting or combat, it is also about how one behaves towards the world and behaving with a certain degree of higher character. Being honorable means taking the difficult, but righteous path when you have the option to take the easy, unethical path.

In competition it means behaving within a degree of ethics and not acting with what is largely considered bad form such as gamesmanship.
And example of a lack of integrity would be
"Anyone who seeks to gain an advantage over his or her opponent by means of a skill that the game itself was not designed to test demonstrates a lack of personal integrity and violates the integrity of the game."

Honor is a combination of not only how you see yourself. But in how you behave and how you are seen by others

I could write more. But there is a good explanation of honor here (saves me the trouble)
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/12/21/manly-honor-vii-how-and-why-to-revive-manly-honor-in-the-twenty-first-century/
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #448 on: February 01, 2015, 11:54:41 PM »

semp

The thread was meant to be about people in the game we admire.  Your helping out others who you've met via the game is admirable.

It shows a ability to separate the game from real life and an understanding that dealing with people respectfully is more important than anything in the game.

And that's honorable.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #449 on: February 01, 2015, 11:56:38 PM »
If you want a combat sim, this isn't the right game or crowd.

from a different thread.

Highlights severe inconsistency in your game ethos.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.