Author Topic: Do games accurately reflect the nature of warfare?  (Read 836 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Do games accurately reflect the nature of warfare?
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »
This is about FPS games and modern warfare but could just as easily be written about any other kind of war simulation or any other time period of warfare for that matter. Something to think about. Particularly those chest thumpers that like to compare themselves to RL counterparts

http://www.warriorlodge.com/blogs/news/16723392-do-todays-first-person-shooter-fps-games-accurately-reflect-the-nature-of-modern-warfare
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
Re: Do games accurately reflect the nature of warfare?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:32:41 PM »
"Not even close." Totally agree. Real combat is just MORE. More of everything. More traumatic. More heartbreaking. More exhilarating. And yes,  more addictive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZMSmcuiXM
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »
Those cheat thumpers would be the first to get PTSD.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 06:46:42 PM »
They'd actually be the first to die.

From what I understand one of the advantages trained police have over the gangs in places like Mexico is that a lot of those guys think they're Scarface or <insert movie crime lord name here>. They do the same things the movie villains do in gunfights which usually results in them getting shot through car doors, getting shot trying to fire two guns, getting shot trying to fire two guns while jumping through the air, etc. You try any of that FPS stuff (or for that matter, any AH stuff) in a life-or-death situation and you will find out the difference between real life and a game really quick, and it may be the last lesson you ever learn.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
Its like the difference between listening to guitar music and actually playing the guitar.  You might become an "expert" at knowing about various types of music by listening, but you still can't play until you actually learn and grow the callous pads.  And the longer you do it and the better you are at it, the deeper and harder the callous' get.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 11:21:11 PM »
No.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 11:54:30 PM »
My nephew, who spent a year in in combat in Afghanistan with the 101st made the comment to me in one of the first conversations we had after his return that 'it's not like a video game'.   He'd played all kinds of first person shooters.  Seeing his best buddy lose both his legs, and 6 of his friends killed in a suicide car bombing brought it home very fast.

I can only imagine, but I'd be the first to admit, despite years of reading about combat, that I have no clue what it's like and would never claim to.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 11:56:42 PM »
While not a trope of the FPS, the fact that video games STILL play the Chain Mail Bikini seriously rather than as a point of comedy or ridicule should be answering that question as well.

All the wire-fu twirly sword dance BS I see in RPGs and hack and slash action games makes me want to go (REAL) Medieval on those developers. GOD I can't wait for Kingdom Come to be finished...
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 01:54:38 AM »
'Tis an absurd question.

Of course they don't.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »
I will say that the actual mechanics of flying and landing an aircraft in a simulator (which AH comes close to being, f'rinstance).. helps a *lot* when you start flyin the real deal.
Takeoffs ..well . . so much is missing in a simulator.. being pushed back in your seat, correcting for wind/torque/adrenaline .. no computer screen gets you ready for that rush.
Drag racing comes close, tho :)
In a car with slicks on and enough power to need them.

And air combat ..the moves we learn translate very well into real life execution ..
..it's the interface that changes drastically ;)

(remembers Blesk relating the story of his encounter with an F-15 pilot long ago in one o' those air combat flights ..
..poor jet jockey got *owned* .. by Blesk .. of all people :)

IMHO

-GE aka Frank (just sayin -tm Pasha)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:18:24 AM by Grayeagle »
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 11:37:41 AM »

PTSD is not an indication of weakness.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
"Not even close." Totally agree. Real combat is just MORE. More of everything. More traumatic. More heartbreaking. More exhilarating. And yes,  more addictive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZMSmcuiXM

Thank you for sharing that gem. 
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 11:46:50 AM »

Certainly you didn't mean your statement the way it is read and understood.  PTSD is not some sickness that only afflicts weak people
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »
No. Only if you get only one "life" and can never play again if you die. Imagine the runners...
Game handle: HellBuck