Author Topic: Just how much of an advantage does Track IR bring?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Just how much of an advantage does Track IR bring?
« on: January 26, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »
Track IR (or similar software) are wonderful tools. It helps a ton, I've heard. Especially with fights where you're tracking multiple targets, say a furball.

I personally fly without TrackIR and I want to see if it's worth purchasing and how much does it bring to the table with Aces High? Just want to hear some input from guys who use it. How useful is it?
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Just how much of an advantage does Track IR bring?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »
it's like the difference between playing with a mouse and a joystick.  once you use it, you wont go back.  just be aware, you will get dizzy the first few days you try it, so go slow.  but once you get used to it then it's all worth it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »
There's at least two and probably three recent threads on the TrackIR.

I never fly without mine.

But you will hate it.  Don't bother.  While were talking, it would be a good idea to leave your gear down all the time, never use more than 25% fuel, and don't fly cannon-equipped aircraft (ever).    :cool:

Just kidding!  After a decent stick with rudder (or a stick, throttle, and rudder pedals) a TrackIR should be your next purchase.

It won't guarantee an immediate kill-death improvement, but you will have a lot more fun while you work on that.

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:36:06 PM »
it's like the difference between playing with a mouse and a joystick.  once you use it, you wont go back.  just be aware, you will get dizzy the first few days you try it, so go slow.  but once you get used to it then it's all worth it.

Really? Never noticed. It adds a certain level of additional immersion, but without the clickable cockpit of a study simulation it does not add enough to make it worth the extra cost. If you fly any study simulations or shooters then that's a different matter. I would not fly FSX or DCS without it.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:58:49 PM »
Really? Never noticed. It adds a certain level of additional immersion, but without the clickable cockpit of a study simulation it does not add enough to make it worth the extra cost. If you fly any study simulations or shooters then that's a different matter. I would not fly FSX or DCS without it.

well he did ask for opinions and my opinion is what I quoted above :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:29:55 PM »
I don't use Track IR, but a free software alternative called FreeTrack. If your handy with basic electric wiring and soldering you can build a tracker unit which can be a very inexpensive choice. It works excellent for AH. Either choice adds a great experience to the flight or race sims in my opinion.   

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 05:12:51 AM »
Has anyone heard of FacetrackNoir? just uses a webcam, and is free. I'd like to know if it works and is compatible with AH.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:35:27 AM »
Track IR (or similar software) are wonderful tools. It helps a ton, I've heard. Especially with fights where you're tracking multiple targets, say a furball.

I personally fly without TrackIR and I want to see if it's worth purchasing and how much does it bring to the table with Aces High? Just want to hear some input from guys who use it. How useful is it?

I personally can't fly with TrackIR - it annoys me. Games like DCS need it because they fly without icons and they need an ability to zoom in a specific direction.

AH has the best hat management with an ability to fix your head position in a specific direction (something that almost no other games have) it makes it very-very efficient - and allows to know the "angles" much more accurately (due to fixed positions)

AH does not really need TrackIR. Other games do.

Has anyone heard of FacetrackNoir? just uses a webcam, and is free. I'd like to know if it works and is compatible with AH.

It works and compatible with AH.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:37:24 AM by artik »
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 07:15:04 AM »
With Trackir, an advantage is lowering the FOV for a bit of zoom if you want and still have a good view of the gauges.  Attacking GVs is easier with the good visual lock of tracking location during a climb out to set up for an attack.  The hat switch becomes another tool with Trackir.  I use mine in fighters for flaps and bombers for switching gun positions.  During a stall flight as an example it frees up the mind since visual tracking is automatic.

Trackir gives you an edge over someone of equal skills but will not overcome a big difference in skills.

I would say too, if you prefer, fast, dive and shoot planes like the average(not all for sure) 190, p51  player then there is not much advantage to tarckir.

I would probably quite AH if they stopped supporting Trackir.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 07:25:13 AM »
Hat views are faster than TIR. I doubt TIR gives an advantage. It's popular because it's more fun. Whichever system you're more used to will be what works best for you.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 07:58:55 AM »
. . . I doubt TIR gives an advantage.

Do you use trackir?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 08:07:05 AM »
Do you use trackir?

I've used TIR for 10 years. Before that I used hat views for over 10 years.

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 08:07:50 AM »
I've been using TrackIR for years and don't believe it gives you any advantage at all. I was just as efficient at switching views with my hat switch before getting my first TrackIR. The only thing it does for me is give me more immersive experience and I'd recommend it for that alone.
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 09:29:15 AM »
Two advantages it gives me over the view hat... one less thing for my right hand to have to do in a fight, and free up some easily accessible buttons for other useful purposes.  Beyond that, nothing really.  In fact, I'd bet that someone who flies a lot can actually track more targets faster with the view hat.  TrackIR just starts to feel so natural after a while that you can't fathom pushing a button to look around anymore.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 10:29:13 AM »
Other than just being more fun, for me, the 1 advantage I see is the ability to lean one way or another to look around a canopy support bar.  And being able to place said support bar in a position to block the sun on a long climb out.
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?